5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0335= faster car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 AM

P0335= faster car?

Let me start off by stating that I understand the whole "butt dyno is worthless" argument, and until I provide hard evidence, no one's gonna believe me, but:

My car is slower with the P0335 cured. There, I said it.

For about the last three months now, as I'd been driving my car around with the CKPS being out of position and throwing codes and giving me extended start times and all, as a consequence of my engine swap and ignorance, it ran strong, lots of pep, trans shifts crisp, borderline "shift-kit" crisp. Even initially running on 87 octane, with lots of clattering and rattling, it'd pick up and move out quick. SES/TCS/SLIP all lit up pretty.

Guess it was about a week ago that I finally relocated my CKPS to where it's supposed to be, and the car's had 93 octane run in it since I came to my senses with some fellow org'ers advice for months now. SES light off, no TCS or SLIP lights, and a noticeable reduction in acceleration. Trans shifts softer now, too. And yeah, it's been 160F down here for about the last 4 months, so I don't think ambient conditions have anything to do with it.

I'm telling y'all my car ran stronger with the ECU guessing at the crank position and running off the cams instead, but how? More importantly, why? Why would Nissan design or allow the car to run better with the CKPS wacked out?

I'm about to move my CKPS back to the old wrong spot and just make sure my *** isn't losing its mind......
Old 08-07-2010, 09:03 AM

The only thing I assume is that the CKPS being out of wack may have made the car's ECU reset to stock timing for the cams and ignition. Which means you'd see more horsepower, and no timing retardation due to "bad" gas, or imperfections in the fuel.

The only downfall is that that probably means there was a lot of knocking going on that you may not have been aware of. Especially running 87 octane. I wouldn't move the CKPS again, honestly. It could end up causing lots of expensive damage to the engine in the long run...
Old 08-07-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
The only thing I assume is that the CKPS being out of wack may have made the car's ECU reset to stock timing for the cams and ignition. Which means you'd see more horsepower, and no timing retardation due to "bad" gas, or imperfections in the fuel.

The only downfall is that that probably means there was a lot of knocking going on that you may not have been aware of. Especially running 87 octane. I wouldn't move the CKPS again, honestly. It could end up causing lots of expensive damage to the engine in the long run...
Thanks SLC. In all my encounters, anytime a computer has to run in "safe" or "limp home" mode due to error codes or sensors, etc, it's always an absolutely noticeable restriction in power output, not the other way around. I mean, I understand what you're saying, and I'm not "arguing", just saying.....

Oh, and lol, there was plenty of pinging and clattering that I easily picked up on and could duplicate or prevent, depending on how heavy my foot got. I was honestly only contemplating temporarily putting my ckps back where it was to see if I was losing my mind or not, I wouldn't leave it there permanently, power loss or no. It's still plenty peppy, and I love my remote start too much