5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is this thing on my 5th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 AM

Rochester and his Band of Merry-Men!!

--not to be confused with "Gay"--

Ok seriously -- where's the KNOCK SENSOR?!?!

gr

*Good Post as usual -- this is a cerebral group, the collective "brain-trust" of the .org, if you will.*
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by spock
This ain't show and tell!
Well, obviously. If it were, things would be clean, instead of being rusty and covered with grime, like many of these photos.

Put another way, Education and Pride have a functionally linear relationship. If you reverse that sequence, you won't learn anything.

Don't you have a copy of the FSM?
Yes. I referred to the FSM in the original post. But how do you look something up in the FSM if you don't know what it is?

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
all 3 are 02's the 4th one is hidden near the fire wall
Thanks, Ray.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 AM

See the curvy, silver piping that's in the middle of this photo? It stretches across the entire firewall before disappearing underneath, then goes all along the driver's side fender... before disappearing underneath.

Is that part of the AC, maybe?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
edit: identified by spock as high-pressure refrigerant return line for the Air Conditioning, page HA-160 in the FSM.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-12-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Rochester and his Band of Merry-Men!!

--not to be confused with "Gay"--

Ok seriously -- where's the KNOCK SENSOR?!?!

gr

*Good Post as usual -- this is a cerebral group, the collective "brain-trust" of the .org, if you will.*
Knock sensor is under the lower intake manifold. to get to it you have to remove the manifold, then lower, injectors and when you lift that you will see the knock sensor.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
Knock sensor is under the lower intake manifold. to get to it you have to remove the manifold, then lower, injectors and when you lift that you will see the knock sensor.
If you don't have the stock airbox apparatus in the way, you can actually see it pretty clearly without doing all that work. The big question is, can you replace it without doing all that work?

Some people have. You need a 12" socket extension, and one of those swivel connectors. Tape them all together so they don't separate, and put some putty or clay inside the socket so you don't lose the KS bolt. The only real concern is how to apply the proper torque, but the torque specs are pretty light, so hand-tight is probably reasonable. (Don't take my word for that, however.)

I haven't done it myself, but like I said, it can be done.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-11-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Control yourselves children ...
Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Control yourselves children ...
OK, Dad.

So do you know what that curvy, silver piping is in the middle of this photo?

edit: identified by spock as high-pressure refrigerant return line for the Air Conditioning, page HA-160 in the FSM.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 AM

High pressure liquid refrigerant line leading to the evapourator coil for the A/C.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 AM

High pressure liquid refrigerant line leading to the evapourator coil for the A/C.
So it is air-conditioning piping! Thank you, Spock.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 AM

How about this rectangular box below the Brake Master Cylinder?

edit: identified by essential1 as the ABS Actuator and Electrical Unit, page BR-39 in the FSM.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-12-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by Rochester
If you don't have the stock airbox apparatus in the way, you can actually see it pretty clearly without doing all that work. The big question is, can you replace it without doing all that work?

Some people have. You need a 12" socket extension, and one of those swivel connectors. Tape them all together so they don't separate, and put some putty or clay inside the socket so you don't lose the KS bolt. The only real concern is how to apply the proper torque, but the torque specs are pretty light, so hand-tight is probably reasonable. (Don't take my word for that, however.)

I haven't done it myself, but like I said, it can be done.
On the 4th gen VQ30 and VQ35s you can get to it pretty easilly without removing the IM. The dek however has an extra water neck that is in the way which literally makes it impossible to even take a glimpse at the knock sensor.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 AM

How about this rectangular box below the Brake Master Cylinder?

Its for the ABS. I forget the proper name for it though. I would assume its something to the point of "ABS control module" or something of that sort.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Its for the ABS. I forget the proper name for it though. I would assume its something to the point of "ABS control module" or something of that sort.
You're right... page BR-39 in the FSM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 AM

This is probably stupid obvious to someone, but I'm not so proud as to avoid saying I don't know what that single hose and piping is with the little black valve. I'm guessing it's part of the AC.

edit: identified by essential1 as the primary high-pressure refrigerant line for the Air Conditioning, page HA-160 in the FSM.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 AM

No problem. Keep 'em comin. I think I've plugged and unplugged every style clip nissan put in the maxima already. There's not much I cant identify. . At the very least, i'll know what it goes to or what it does.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 AM

This is probably stupid obvious to someone, but I'm not so proud as to avoid saying I don't know what that single hose and piping is with the little black valve. I'm guessing it's part of the AC.

Yup. That is the Low side A/C port. That's the port you use to fill the free-on. Most of the time, this cap will be a light blue/teal color with the letter "L" on it. But it does look cleaner with the black cap.

Also, just a suggestion for dressing up your engine bay. To the bottom right of your picture, on the inner part of the timing cover. there are 2 ground wires that seem to have a little rust on the metal ring connectors. You can replace these with new ones. But now that I think about it, the engine cover is probably gonna cover these when installed.

Last edited by essential1; 09-12-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 AM
You embarrass me.

I <3 this thread.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Yup. That is the Low side A/C port. That's the port you use to fill the free-on. Most of the time, this cap will be a light blue/teal color with the letter "L" on it. But it does look cleaner with the black cap.

Also, just a suggestion for dressing up your engine bay. To the bottom right of your picture, on the inner part of the timing cover. there are 2 ground wires that seem to have a little rust on the metal ring connectors. You can replace these with new ones. But now that I think about it, the engine cover is probably gonna cover these when installed.
Thanks, essential1. I rather thought it was A/C. Page HA-160 in the FSM.

You're right about those 2 ground connections... one is gunked up, and both are less than optimal. I've got a side-project on the back-burner to clean up all the ground connections. There's a bunch of them.

And you're also right that it's hidden underneath the engine cover. (That didn't stop me from grinding down and painting that wire-bracket next to it, but I was on a roll a few weeks ago, painting things.)

BTW, here's the diagram on AC from the FSM, showing the main coolant line, and the little return line that I asked about yesterday:

Last edited by Rochester; 09-12-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM

There's another sensor wiring harness right behind the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir... does anyone know what this is?

For that matter, why was it clipped to the strut tower? Personally, I like it better tucked behind the reservoir, with those holes neatly capped.

edit: identified by bestpeto as the passenger-side ABS sensor harness, page BR-42 in the FSM.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-16-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM

There's another sensor wiring harness right behind the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir... does anyone know what this is?

For that matter, why was it clipped to the strut tower? Personally, I like it better tucked behind the reservoir, with those holes neatly capped.

I've unplugged that before, and when I did, the ABS and slip lights came on, so it could have something to do with the TCS/ABS system? I dunno.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Here are 2 more harness connectors, on the transmission side of the engine. One is a sensor on the water pipe... coolant temp? IDK.

edit: identified by Froggmann as Coolant Temperature Sensor, and the other end of the Knock Sensor Harness -- pages EL-464/465 in the FSM.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Nice Thread!!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Bump for an answer to this harness connector. jowo9 thinks it's ABS.

Whatever that is, either it was something put on in later-model '02's, early '03's. Or it's a manual transmission component. I don't have it on my car. Just holes where it should be. I believe.

I'll have to double-check that statement now that I'm really thinking about it. I've never noticed a wire there before, though. I would think I would've bumped into it wiping the dirt off my strut towers.

Don't think it's ABS, though...

Edit: I was under the hood last night, and sure enough, that wire's there. I guess I've just always disregarded it in the past.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 09-19-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 AM

3 sensor harness connectors still unidentified.

Here's a 4th. It resides down low in the front passenger side of the engine bay, left from where the 2 water pipes are collected. This isn't the best picture, but if you go look where I'm describing, you'll see it on your 5.5 gen.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump for an answer to this harness connector. jowo9 thinks it's ABS.

From the placement near the strut, I was almost sure it was the ABS sensor of the front-right wheel... and I just checked it on the FSM, page BR-42. There should be another similar connector on the driver's side.

BTW this is my first post
Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bestpato
From the placement near the strut, I was almost sure it was the ABS sensor of the front-right wheel... and I just checked it on the FSM, page BR-42. There should be another similar connector on the driver's side.

BTW this is my first post
Would that be this one, near the ABS control module?

That's a pretty impressive first post. Well done!

Last edited by Rochester; 09-16-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM

BTW, I was showing this photo to a friend at work, and he made a pretty insightful suggestion, responding to my WTF comments about how that wire was clipped to the strut tower.

His premise is that part of car design (today) includes manufacturing considerations, and that the brakes were likely installed before the supporting Power Steering parts. Therefore, the cabling was secured out of the way so that the PS Reservoir could be easily installed without compromise.

That makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I'm going to remove the PS bracket, do some painting, replace the bolt hardware, and tuck that wire behind the PS Reservoir bracket. That should look a lot cleaner.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Cleaning up a few rusty bits b4 the evil salt weilds it's rust saber again?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 AM

While we're at it, what's that cane handle shaped hose on the bottom right of the picture? I thought maybe a vent of some kind?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 AM

While we're at it, what's that cane handle shaped hose on the bottom right of the picture? I thought maybe a vent of some kind?
That's the Transmission Air Breather Hose, page MT-13 in the FSM.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM

My auto tranny has the same one. That's why I wondered when I saw one on your manual.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys! Lots of good information here.

I am looking at replacing the intake system. Sorry for not having a picture atm, but what is the plastic contraption under the air intake. It is connected with the intake. It is a transparent plastic box. Thanks

-D
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Not so much of a "what is this thing", but is this metal ring looking thing in the inside suppose to be right next to the sway bar bushing? Can't remember it being there when I replaced them last year. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by findingnismo
Hey guys! Lots of good information here.

I am looking at replacing the intake system. Sorry for not having a picture atm, but what is the plastic contraption under the air intake. It is connected with the intake. It is a transparent plastic box. Thanks

-D
That's a stash box. But the transparent ones... they don't work so good.

Pictures, newbie... pictures.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's a stash box. But the transparent ones... they don't work so good.

Pictures, newbie... pictures.
here you go...

Its under the battery and like i said, its connected to the intake. thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone, I found this hose lose when i got the car 2000 Maxima SE was just wondering where it connects to.

the other end connects here
Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM

^^^ I believe that's the transmission breather hose, I have the same thing on mine.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Toolie

the clear plastic box on the 00-01 is some sort of water capture device. Any water sucked in through the scoop should end up there and evaporate.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the clear plastic box on the 00-01 is some sort of water capture device. Any water sucked in through the scoop should end up there and evaporate.
So in reality if i put on an intake, i can trash it all?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's only on the 5th, and not the 5.5, right?

I never noticed any sort of box on my intake when I pulled it off and put my CAI on.

Quick Reply: What is this thing on my 5th Gen?