5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Odd Steering Loosenes Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Odd Steering Loosenes Issue

My car is in need of a re-alignment, since it has been pulling slightly to the right for a while and the tire on that side is more worn out than the left one.
Yesterday on my way home, under rainy conditions, I started noticing a strange sudden pull towards the right. As I accelerate, and usually when the gears change from 2nd to 3rd, I feel as if the right wheel, all of the sudden, gets loose, pulling the car slightly towards that side and forcing me to turn the wheel even more to the left, almost at a 45 degrees, to keep the car on a straight path.
I got home, placed the car on jacks and pushed/pulled on each tire, grabbing them by the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, but the tires felt really tight. I also did the same, grabbing them by the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, but did not feel anything other than a slight move that followed the steering wheel movement, at the same rate. I did not see anything loose around the tie rods or lower control arms, etc. I did noticed that the right tire is really bald, while the left one still has some leftover rubber. A friend suggested that the condition of the tires might have something to do with that behavior. He said that a FWD car that has a front tire with no "grabbing power" can cause the car to slid towards the side of the offending tire. I decided to swap both front tires and then drove around to prove this theory. The behavior remained exactly the same; still pulling to the right, showing the same conditions as described above.
I do remember that yesterday morning, while turning at a gas station at idle speed, I slightly hit the side of one of those metal curbs around the pumps with my right tire. I drove around after that, but did not experience any of this condition until the afterrnoon while driving in the rain.
I'm planning on replacing the front tires this afternoon and having an alignment done. My fear is that something is ruined somewhere around the right tire, as a result of me hitting that curb, and I just can see it.
Is there anything in particular I should be looking at?
Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM

After a more thorough inspection I found what I think is the source of my issue. The picture below was taken from the rear of the front passenger tire, looking towards the area of the end links. The area enclosed in red shows where the Transverse Link (or Lower Control Arm) connects to the suspension member and it looks like there is some kind of bushing between the two to allow for rotation movement. It shows signs of deterioration, and I'm not sure if it has to do with the major power steering leak I have or if it is just worn out.
Is this "bushing" replaceable or do I have to get the entire LCA?
If anybody has replaced this bushing, what does it take to do so?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 PM

^^ yes that bushings is replacable and energy suspension makes them...might as well upgrade on both sides
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 AM

From past experience, tranny fluid i.e. dex III also used as PS fluid can damage rubber bushings. If you have had that PS leak for long.... make sure you check other rubber parts/bushings around the area too.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM

I know that there is an issue with Maximas pulling because of Road Crown. If you drive on a level surface and it doesn't pull it means that your alignment is okay.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
^^ yes that bushings is replacable and energy suspension makes them...might as well upgrade on both sides
Thank you. I'm planning on upgrading on both sides. I was finally able to find some other threads around here that deal with the same problem.

Originally Posted by kukx30de
From past experience, tranny fluid i.e. dex III also used as PS fluid can damage rubber bushings. If you have had that PS leak for long.... make sure you check other rubber parts/bushings around the area too.
That is what I suspected too. I'm getting an ES bushing kit and will be working on that this weekend, after replacing the power steering hose.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bullet187
I know that there is an issue with Maximas pulling because of Road Crown. If you drive on a level surface and it doesn't pull it means that your alignment is okay.
If I was sure the uneven tire wear and the slight pulling I was getting before this was because of the failed bushing, I would say I don't have any alignement problem. I guess I will see after replacing them.