5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blower motor on maximum overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM

Blower motor on maximum overdrive

Last night, quick trip on an errand, nice weather, had the ECON on and windows cracked, cabin fan speed on low, head and feet, just enough to move some air through the "cockpit", suddenly I hear and feel my cabin fan go full blast......

Check my auto climate control display, make sure I didn't accidentally hit something, it's still showing low fan speed. Turned the entire thing OFF, cabin fan still going full on!!! Can't say that I've encountered this before, almost like my blower motor resistor has burnt on its highest setting.

So I try different settings, all the directional and temperature controls, A/C and Heat all work, but the fan speed never changes, even turning, like I said, everything OFF, doesn't matter.

Whatcha think? It was doing it this morning on the commute in, so sitting overnight didn't "fix" anything. Blower motor resistor? Or what?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM

It's definitely the blower motor resistor, if the blower motor is running on only one speed, then it's the resistor for sure
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think that, if you have an auto climate control, then you will not have a resistor, but instead a fan amplifier.

In both cases, fan amplifier or resistor, the blower receives voltage directly from the battery (through a fuse) and speed is controlled by "how much ground" do you provide to it. So, if you're lucky, your blower is in runaway just because it's getting ground right before the amplifier/resistor, with something like a short.

But as FanaticMadMax said, it's probably a defective (shorted) amplifier/resistor.

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I was wondering how my blower motor was full-on wide open despite the entire thing being turned off, but that makes sense. I'll be checking and more than likely replacing my fan amplifier.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Hey BlackMacks,

I just had this EXACT same thing happen to me this morning. I was leaving for work, with just the fan on, and then *boom*, fan blower stuck on high even with the climate control display off (almost as if the off button doesn't even work!).

Any solutions? Was it the amplifier or resistor?

Thanks..
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Max- yep, that's what it was, I just got finished changing mine, took all of 2 minutes, and all's back to normal.

My part number was 27761-2Y000, fwiw.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

BlackMacks -

Thanks for the quick reply..
So just to confirm was it the amplifier or resistor? And how much did it cost (ballpark is fine)..Any write ups on replacement procedures?

Thanks again man...

-AK
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 AM

For our cars, the blower motor "resistor" is instead the "amplifier", fyi. The parts guy actually called it a "control module".

Replacement was about as easy as falling off a log, you can see it just as soon as you duck your head under the glovebox, it's screwed to the blower motor housing. Bring an average phillips head screwdriver for the two screws, but you can un-clip the plug using your fingers.

If you're concerned about what you're looking for, the new one will give it away. It retailed at the dealer for around $90, but I've got local connections, and you can also order it from any of the Nissan parts guys here on the site for much less.

Super simple repair, like I said, took less than two minutes. GL
Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all,

As I have not posted before I cannot create a new thread so I figured this would be the best place the post my pictures for replacing the blower motor in my 2002 SE.

I decided to change out the blower motor myself after being quoted $810 (Canadian) by my local Nissan dealership to replace the blower motor. $405 for parts and $405 for labour.

I was able to order a replacement blower motor online and have it shipped to my home in two days for less than $100 (Canadian) including the shipping.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts...xima SE~242303

Blower Motor w/ Fan Cage
Brand: Genera
Part # W0133-1851897

Here is the best part. It took me less than 20 minutes to swap out the old blower motor while I was taking my time to take the pictures!!!

I do not know how the service guy at my local dealership could keep a straight face quoting me over $400 in labour for something that would take an "experienced technician" 15 minutes to do.

The tools required are:
- Phillips Screw Driver
- Needle Nose Pliers

Note: You will need to lay on your back into the floor area in front of the passenger seat. Move the passenger seat all the way back and ensure you have decent weather (i.e. not raining) or that you are in a covered area. In retrospect a pillow would have been nice on the back as well.

Here is a picture of the glove box and the four screws to be taken out at the top. Two more screws at the bottom corners (no picture for them) need to be removed as well.

This picture shows the two harnesses connected to the glove box. As mentioned in a bunch of other posts, do not separate the yellow connectors and they are for the passenger side airbag. The white connector is for the glove box light and it can be disconnected.

Use needle nose pliers to remove the mounting bracket of the yellow connector from the glove box.

Use your fingers to disconnect the white connector for the glove box light.

Picture of the old blower motor still installed. It is only held in with three phillips screws.

New and old blower motors side by side (old left / new right)

Blower motor removed

New blower motor installed

Old blower motor and tools used

I hope you find this post of some benefit.

All the best is changing out the blower motor on your own and saving a bunch of $$$
Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 AM

I think a lot of people will appreciate your write-up. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 AM

+1, thanks Hawkman.

Those pics are all very familiar, as I just did this two days ago. My blower motor burnt up, and took my new fan control module with it

But since I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, I was able to exchange it, hah!

So now all my auto climate functions are back to normal
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Blackmacks - Big ups for posting the part #. You were correct, super easy install..changed my in cabin filters while I was there too.. thanks again..

hawkman- +2 good job on posting pics and a step by step diy.. thanks man..
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM

This is crazy...

BlackMacks & hawkman - Our cars are def. related..

My blower motor burned up yesterday as well..

Just ordered a new one..

Thanks fellaz for your insights and help..

Hopefully nothing else goes wrong now..(for a while, anyway)..
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM

lol!

creepy.....

I tried to turn my blower motor by hand after I'd pulled it, just for grins. It was stuck but good.

Strange thing, after I replaced it and my amplifier again, I got a whole lot more airflow on the recirc setting than fresh. Since it was always the same, I just assumed that was the way the car was, unlike every other one I've driven

Can't explain it, but I take it all's functioning as normal now.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Huh.. So when you switched off the outside vents and recirculated air, it wasn't blowing any stronger before you changed the motor and amplifier? Interesting... Could you hear the vacuum suck the vents shut?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM

No, I couldn't hear anything vacuum related or vents closing, but more than likely bc when I wanted max/recirc air, the blower was on WFO anyway, you couldn't hear anything subtle.

It's definitely not the way it was before, there's a dramatic increase in airflow and noise when running WFO and hitting the recirc.

The auto climate controls DO always start off with recirc turned off, correct? It's a minor pita I've had to get used to everytime I start the car, to press the recirc button.

Guess I shouldn't ever take anything for granted, lol, one of y'all is gonna tell me next: "No man, the recirc is supposed to stay on" ............
Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM

I actually used this to help me get to my in cabin filter and I also took out the blower and cleaned out some leaves and junk that was caught down in there. The pictures helped out so much. I am a complete newb at all this stuff and this forum has already helped me save tons of money. Thanks to all the experts here!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM

I replaced both the blower motor and the the module. Super easy and solved 3 problems:
- blower cage had been squeaking for a while
- dead module was causing random behavior of fan
- cleaned out leaves and debris

Item Detail Part# Qty Price Total
W/auto AC
Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima
Section: AIR CONDITIONER & HEATER
Category: Blower motor & fan
Sub-Category: Module 277612Y000 1 $65.71 $65.71
Fan assy
Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima
Section: AIR CONDITIONER & HEATER
Category: Blower motor & fan
Sub-Category: Fan assy 272202Y910 1 $160.90 $160.90
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Bad *** Newb

They're actually all wrong. You have to wait for the comet to pass.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bw319

I know this is an old post but I'm having problems with my heater/AC blower in my 2001 Maxima. It started out by losing the lower speeds and only working on high speed. Now it only comes on intermittantly and still only on high speed. I replaced the blower motor last year, removed and cleaned blower switch contacts, and replaced the blower motor resistor. Nothing has worked. Can someone recommend something else? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Does the motor rotate freely? If yes then check the 12v power supply to the motor. The fan resistor should be about 1 ohm terminal 1-3. 2.75-3 ohms 1-4 and .5 ohm 1-2. I've got the complete test procedure. PM if you need it.

Last edited by mirclbob; 03-30-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The motor does rotate freely and I've got power to the motor. Not sure how to check the resistor ohms and don't have a meter. I've done tons of research on this problem and it all points to the resistor (even a local Japanese mechanic swears it's the resistor). Seems to be a common problem. Is your test pointing to a bad resistor? Thanks for your help mirclbob.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM

It's not his test, it's your test. He's just offering the procedure. You need to get a multimeter, (they're cheap enough for a basic one), and check.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM

I had a 2000 max and a 2002 I35.. BOTH needed new blower motors and resistors... common issue unfortunately.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No blower motor

Also new so posting to existing thread- 2002 se 6 speed second Maxima - had a noisey blower motor when I purchased it - but function all 4 speeds - Auto climate control no nav. Lost all blower speeds - bench tested motor = fine - checked connector to blower motor and both sides were hot at battery voltage = 12.5 volts(+/-) - resistor output between 9.5 and 12v - replaced relay - still no blower - replaced cabin filters and cleaned pine neddles etc - ran diagnostics on head unit and codes =20/30/41/51 as per shop manual. losing ground some where - fuses etc all good as far as I can tell. suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No blower motor
I'm having the same issue.
Just replaced blower motor and resistor.
A/C system turns on but, fan will not turn on at any speed.
Checked all fuses also.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt02
No blower motor
I'm having the same issue.
Just replaced blower motor and resistor.
A/C system turns on but, fan will not turn on at any speed.
Checked all fuses also.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Do you have the manual or auto climate controls?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima GLE blower motor speed on high only

The suggestion provided to replace the power assembly module (for climate control models, or the resistor for manual control) was spot on! Part was $92 and the replacement of the unit under the glove box took me only minutes (to disconnect the cable harness, remove the two screws holding the module, install the new module, and reconnect the clip-in cable harness.)

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Done!

Replaced blower fan and control module. Took about 30 minutes.

Haven't been on the forums in a while but finding info like this reminds me of why I loved this place!

Thanks to all that added to this thread, especially hawkman. Guidance was spot on.

Last edited by 03BlkSETE; 11-27-2015 at 02:10 PM.