5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I was getting great mileage on my trip until...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I was getting great mileage on my trip until...

...I filled up in Benson, Arizona. Averaging pretty close to 26 real (not trip computer) mpg, stopped in Benson (east of Tucson on I-10) to fill up. I was pretty irritated that the pump was hella slow. Only needed about 7 gallons but it seriously took 10 minutes. Finally get it filled and head towards Phoenix. Get on the freeway, kick it up to 75 and set the cruise. After about 10 minutes, I thought it odd my trip computer was only showing around 26 mpg when it had been showing 29-31 most of the trip. By the time I got through Tucson, it was in the mid-20s.

Car seemed to be running just fine and no SES. After another 50 miles, it was down to 25.3 and that was when I noticed my tach was sitting on nearly 4000 rpms and the shifter was in D3. I didn't even know you could engage cruise in D3. If I hadn't used cruise control, I would have figured out pretty quick I was in D3 because when accelerating, the car would have been more responsive. Anyway, put it in D4 and by the time I got to Phoenix, the trip computer was showing 27.4 and still rising.

BTW, through New Mexico, my dte was as high as 525 miles and my trip computer was showing 31.1 mpg. Not bad for passing right though 185,000 miles during the trip.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
...I filled up in Benson, Arizona. Averaging pretty close to 26 real (not trip computer) mpg, stopped in Benson (east of Tucson on I-10) to fill up. I was pretty irritated that the pump was hella slow. Only needed about 7 gallons but it seriously took 10 minutes. Finally get it filled and head towards Phoenix. Get on the freeway, kick it up to 75 and set the cruise. After about 10 minutes, I thought it odd my trip computer was only showing around 26 mpg when it had been showing 29-31 most of the trip. By the time I got through Tucson, it was in the mid-20s.

Car seemed to be running just fine and no SES. After another 50 miles, it was down to 25.3 and that was when I noticed my tach was sitting on nearly 4000 rpms and the shifter was in D3. I didn't even know you could engage cruise in D3. If I hadn't used cruise control, I would have figured out pretty quick I was in D3 because when accelerating, the car would have been more responsive. Anyway, put it in D4 and by the time I got to Phoenix, the trip computer was showing 27.4 and still rising.

BTW, through New Mexico, my dte was as high as 525 miles and my trip computer was showing 31.1 mpg. Not bad for passing right though 185,000 miles during the trip.
Nice....just make sure you use a good fuel injector cleaner when you come back from your trip....I find the LUCAS deep cleaning injector (white bottle with blue label) and fuel system cleaner very nice....or you could always go full metal jacket with seafoam.....either way.....throw one of those in......
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Why run that after a trip?

A long trip is one of the best things you can do for your car....
Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
Why run that after a trip?

A long trip is one of the best things you can do for your car....

I agree.....I am not sure if Scott used FI cleaner during the trip....I say to use after because you are using all kinds of different gas types from different stations along the trip....unless you are lucky...sometimes you just have to put gas from moe's gas shack.....and who knows how long that gas was sitting in the underground tank.....just sayin....
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
I agree.....I am not sure if Scott used FI cleaner during the trip....I say to use after because you are using all kinds of different gas types from different stations along the trip....unless you are lucky...sometimes you just have to put gas from moe's gas shack.....and who knows how long that gas was sitting in the underground tank.....just sayin....
Ah, I see now. I understand the logic.
I generally fill up at multiple stations, but often not like no name brand gas. If I did, I would probably use FI cleaner more.
I only use it when I acquire a new (to me) used car, and generally never again.

Redline SI-1 is one of the best FI cleaners out there.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Ah, I see now. I understand the logic.
I generally fill up at multiple stations, but often not like no name brand gas. If I did, I would probably use FI cleaner more.
I only use it when I acquire a new (to me) used car, and generally never again.

Redline SI-1 is one of the best FI cleaners out there.
I have been using the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and FI cleaner with every fill-up...for a year now....stuff is great......use the deep cleaner before every oil change (~5k)....and seafoam every year or so.....car runs great all year round with this formula...and I have been getting great combo MPG....about 26-27 and over 30 (~32) with long highway trips....
Old 10-10-2010, 02:05 PM

I generally fill up at multiple stations...
I very rarely fill the tank, prefering somewhere north of 3/4. I've heard of the EVAP system getting compromised if you constantly top-off. Similarly, I rarely let it get below 1/4 tank.

But I have the luxury of not driving my car as much as Scott.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Toolie

You can fill the tank until the pump stops automatically. Just don't round up. Your evap will be fine. I went through an evap canister and solenoid in the first month I bought the car. I was so used to my grand am taking an extra 2 bucks or so of rounding up after the pump shut down. Got the maxima and learned quickly that there is no room for rounding up. I fill to full all the time now with a used evap and everything is fine.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:20 PM

That is some good a$$ mileage up on a trip!!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Sitting at 28.1 on the trip computer right now, Phoenix to Deming, New Mexico. In the mountains east of Tucson, it was reading 23.8 after climbing for 15+ miles while going 75-78 mph. 720 miles to drive in the morning, nice chunk of it in west Texas where the speed limit is 80.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 AM

@Rochester: Yeah, it only hurts a car if you force in gas once the pump clicks off. I've got a filler neck sitting behind me, actually, as mine has rusted through. If you ever pull it off your car, you can see how close the EVAP lines are to the neck where the nozzle is inserted. Topping off can force gas into those lines, where it proceeds to sit in the multiple bends of the pipes and hurt your car. Hooray!

So... Seafoam + Fuel Injector cleaner = Cleaner engine pieces pertaining to fuel economy = Much better gas mileage from a car with 125K miles on it?