5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

battery or starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 AM

battery or starter?

2001 Maxima, 150k miles. Battery is 3 years into a 7 year warranty from Napa.

So periodically over the past couple years I would get an issue when starting the car. It would turn over briefly, then pause, turn over, then pause, repeat usually one more time, then fire up. This would happen maybe once every 4-6 months or so. Extremely intermittent.

In the past month its gotten to be a weekly thing, but still intermittent. This morning it fired up without issue, I stopped on my way to work at the gas station, and it wouldn't start. It did the same turn over/pause thing until the battery was sapped. It only took about 4 or 5 of these cycles to drain the battery, it happened extremely fast.

I was able to get a jump and made it to work. I'm going to Napa over lunch to get the battery tested (provided my car starts) but I'm sure they're going to find it is carrying a fine load blah blah blah. I called my mechanic and he thinks its probably a battery issue, but did say that the battery tests fine.

Has anyone had/seen an issue like this? Any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM

How old is the battery? If it is over three years old, just buy a new one. Costco one will run you about $60. Walmart should be about the same. While changing the battery, clean all the connections.

It is the cheapest thing that should be tackled first for any type of electrical problems.

- Vikas
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM

The battery build date is 11/07. Like I said, 7 year warranty from Napa. I'm going in over lunch today to get it tested. Hopefully its just the battery.

I don't remember why, but some issues prompted me to replace the connector on the ground cable about a year ago. I was having problems getting a good strong clamp and replaced it with a new connection that came with a cover. I haven't had issues with any build up since then, in fact when I took off the cover this morning to get the jump the post and the connector looked brand new still. But I'll double check to make sure neither the ground or the positive have any build up...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM

if you were able to get it started with jump, then its most likely battery. you may need to do grounding mods.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

First of all check your cables, make sure they are free of corrosion. Basically make sure you have fresh lead touching fresh lead on the terminals themselves. Also double check your connection on the starter make sure the connection is clean and tight. One other thing that could be bad is your ground to the engine itself. It's on the cylinder head closest to both the battery and the front of the car. Again check for any corrosion.

I have seen both batteries and alternators fail prematurely due to bad connections so that is the first thing I look at. As for the battery testing good but being bad, I've seen that too. Sometimes the battery will get a intermittent short right underneath the terminals that only crops up during tempature swings.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I love lamp.

You should also have the starter tested. I've seen bad starters with this behavior as well.

S
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM

I had a 60 month Excide battery that died after a year. Got a replacement and it died in 15 months. I called Excide and complained and they sent me to their district office/warehouse in Dallas to get a replacement. While there, I was talking with the district manager and he was explaning that there were no differences in the batteries between their 36 month, 60 month and 75 month batteries. It was just marketing and warranty. They make as good of a battery as they can and hope it makes it. That 3rd battery only lasted about a year. So much for Excide.

The moral of this story is - just because something has a long warranty, it does not guarantee that it will last that long.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I had a 60 month Excide battery that died after a year. Got a replacement and it died in 15 months. I called Excide and complained and they sent me to their district office/warehouse in Dallas to get a replacement. While there, I was talking with the district manager and he was explaning that there were no differences in the batteries between their 36 month, 60 month and 75 month batteries. It was just marketing and warranty. They make as good of a battery as they can and hope it makes it. That 3rd battery only lasted about a year. So much for Excide.

The moral of this story is - just because something has a long warranty, it does not guarantee that it will last that long.
sounds like you have a bigger problem that just the battery. Maybe an alternator voltage regulator was constanly overcharging the battery that killed it in a short time period.

To the OP, check you starter, if it is original and has over 100k miles, it might be on the way out. Some starters fail instantly, while others expirience intermitent faults before they completely fail.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
sounds like you have a bigger problem that just the battery. Maybe an alternator voltage regulator was constanly overcharging the battery that killed it in a short time period.
I don't think so because after the third Excide died, I bought a Goodyear battery that lasted 5 or 6 years. The battery after that had a few years on it when the car got totalled. Still had the original altenator in it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Update: Just got back from doing some testing over lunch. First off, I should mention it did not start or even turn over when I first tried it. Just a click from the starter solenoid. I have good power, as all of my lights are on bright as can be and everything is working properly electronic wise. Swapped in a buddy's working battery and the same thing. Just a click but bright lights and everything electronic works like it normally would when I have the key in Accessory.

My connections at the battery are good and clean. I checked the end of the wire where the connections are attached, no corrosion there. I cannot say for sure any farther down the line how the connection is, but like I said good power in all of my electronics. I tested my battery in my buddy's car too. That fired right up, no problems.

So that leads me to believe it is the starter after all. Now I jsut need to arrange a tow I guess. Shaping up to be an awesome day.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by hoboscratch
Update: Just got back from doing some testing over lunch. First off, I should mention it did not start or even turn over when I first tried it. Just a click from the starter solenoid. I have good power, as all of my lights are on bright as can be and everything is working properly electronic wise. Swapped in a buddy's working battery and the same thing. Just a click but bright lights and everything electronic works like it normally would when I have the key in Accessory.

My connections at the battery are good and clean. I checked the end of the wire where the connections are attached, no corrosion there. I cannot say for sure any farther down the line how the connection is, but like I said good power in all of my electronics. I tested my battery in my buddy's car too. That fired right up, no problems.

So that leads me to believe it is the starter after all. Now I jsut need to arrange a tow I guess. Shaping up to be an awesome day.

Wack the starter with something metal. That may get it to work one more time and save you a tow. But yea your diagnosis sounds right.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 PM

My insurance gives me a tow, so I had it taken to my house. Got a starter already and just finished installing it. Started up like a champ. Badda bing. Thanks for the replies everyone