5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Axle issues after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Axle issues after replacement

My car started to vibrate like crazy only under acceleration and I knew the axles needed replaced soon but I had the front wheels balanced anyway to see if that would help. Didn't help and I called around and the Nissan dealer around here and they said it was 280 labor but 700 per axle for OEM axles but they recommended aftermarket axles that were 200 per axle and had a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Also, they did 2 recalls including the control arms and bushings.

I picked up the car and I still felt a slight vibration when driving. I drove like 40 miles and brought it back and had a tech drive the car. He felt the vibration and they put the car up in the air and said my front right axle was leaking already. They *****ed about replacing it because the car is so low but I told them they sId there was a warranty even though they knew the car was that low and they needed to take care of it and they did.

Come to today and they called and said they replaced the axle but there is still a vibration. They're saying its cause the axles are angled up when the car is on the ground (which they are) and that because of the new control arms and stuff the car is a lot tighter and that's why I can feel the vibration. I don't buy that though cause only one side is doing it. What else could it be? Anything I should mention to them before I pick the car up in about an hour?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM

$20 says they didn't touch it after the return, and you'll have NO way of knowing it.
That's how dealerships work. ******' liars.
I'm surprised they even DID the warranty work.
never heard of LCA's having a recall?? If that's the case - then nissan owes me too.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than MAYBE checking the motor mounts -- they'll tend to vibrate during acceleration for some people.

Out of curiosity: at what speed(s) does the vibration occur??

Mines doing the same thing - and no idea what it is.

How are your BEARINGS?? Failure is more prominent for these when lowered, as I recall.

gr
Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
$20 says they didn't touch it after the return, and you'll have NO way of knowing it.
That's how dealerships work. ******' liars.
I'm surprised they even DID the warranty work.
never heard of LCA's having a recall?? If that's the case - then nissan owes me too.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than MAYBE checking the motor mounts -- they'll tend to vibrate during acceleration for some people.

Out of curiosity: at what speed(s) does the vibration occur??

Mines doing the same thing - and no idea what it is.

How are your BEARINGS?? Failure is more prominent for these when lowered, as I recall.

gr
I think they did it they're a good dealership. happens at all speeds. bearings should be good wouldn't they have noticed when doing the axles?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Vibration can also come from bent/damaged tie rod ends.

Man, fck dealers for b1tching about lowness. I had a high pressure PS hose replaced at the dealer and they were complaining that since my car was lowered it would take longer. Lazy whiny punk bishes...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Vibration can also come from bent/damaged tie rod ends.

Man, fck dealers for b1tching about lowness. I had a high pressure PS hose replaced at the dealer and they were complaining that since my car was lowered it would take longer. Lazy whiny punk bishes...
You're wrong.
Lowering your car DOES put more strain on the axles and related components.
For the dealer to honor the warranty for axles on a lowered car, says either they are a GOOD dealer trying to help-out a customer - OR they are SERIOUSLY hard-up for warranty work, for which they get paid NEXT to nothing from Nissan.

My guess is the latter -- because warranty work (at 1/3 of the shop rate) is better than a tech sitting around with NO work.

And to the OP: don't A$$ume anything....you know what they say that makes YOU and ME?!

Ask them if they check the bearings and hub assemblies -- heck, Make them SHOW you there's no freeplay in the hubs!

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 10-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same problem here too, well more like I had the same problem. like yours, my axles are also angled up when the car is on the ground. I always keep a spare set of axles because of that reason. By them being that way & being a front wheel drive car, your gonna go through axles pretty quickly. After replacing control arm bushings, motor mounts new steering rack, having the wheels rebalanced & subframe collars I still had the vibration. I thought it was the passenger side but it turned out to be the drivers side. all that was needed to be done was to replace the drivers axle with a axle the was balanced, you know how some axles have a weight rite in the middle of the axle, well thats what took care of my problem.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
You're wrong.
Lowering your car DOES put more strain on the axles and related components.
Never said it didn't, hell I already popped one CV so far.

Just pointing out, some techs will b1tch and moan about ride height even when it barely changes the job they have to do.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Never said it didn't, hell I already popped one CV so far.

Just pointing out, some techs will b1tch and moan about ride height even when it barely changes the job they have to do.
My bad - that's how I READ it.

gr
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Well, I picked it up and it does still vibrate but only slightly. They let me see under the car and I could tell the axle was replaced and also they said there was no play in anything. They're sticking with the ride height being the problem and that the car is "tighter" now that the LCAs have been fixed.

I guess I will raise it soon (need to for the winter anyway) and see if it continues. They said to bring it in if it continues to happen and they will take care of it no charge. They really are helping me out. Plus, I couldn't get a loaner car cause I'm only 20 so for the past 4 days, they rented a car through Enterprise for me, which was way above what they had to do.

I would say they are a good dealer
Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Did you ask them about the axle being balanced as previously mentioned? Also, I know you said you had your tires balanced, but sometimes they don't watch the tires rotate. Is it possible you have a slightly bent rim?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM

ya know, i had this same symptom on my 97 maxima 5 speed, i was lowered about 2.5" and i had a slight vibration at all speeds, but more noticeable type of shimmy when accelerating from 2-3 gear. I replaced my axles and still had the problem, so then i had the wheels re balanced, still had the problem, then i thought the alignment was out, so i went and had the car realigned. got the car back STILL vibrated, believe it or not it turned out to be a bent tie-rod. i replaced the tie rods and got it aligned once again., and BINGO no shakes or vibrations at ALL!! i would check the tie rods being as low as you are, you could have a bent one causing the vibration
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Did you ask them about the axle being balanced as previously mentioned? Also, I know you said you had your tires balanced, but sometimes they don't watch the tires rotate. Is it possible you have a slightly bent rim?
I didn't ask them about the axle being balanced and they watched the tire and said the tire and rim were fine.
Originally Posted by ricerocket336
ya know, i had this same symptom on my 97 maxima 5 speed, i was lowered about 2.5" and i had a slight vibration at all speeds, but more noticeable type of shimmy when accelerating from 2-3 gear. I replaced my axles and still had the problem, so then i had the wheels re balanced, still had the problem, then i thought the alignment was out, so i went and had the car realigned. got the car back STILL vibrated, believe it or not it turned out to be a bent tie-rod. i replaced the tie rods and got it aligned once again., and BINGO no shakes or vibrations at ALL!! i would check the tie rods being as low as you are, you could have a bent one causing the vibration
That is EXAXCTLY what is happening, it's very noticeable in 2nd and 3rd, but not much past that. I figured they would have looked at something like that but I'm going to give them a call and see what they say about that. Thanks very much, I think you nailed it
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Ok, just as an update... The car is doing the same thing as before, but here is what I have narrowed down... the vibration occurs between 20 and 30mph and depending on the amount of throttle I give it sometimes its alot more noticeable.

Also, when I am taking a turn hard, I get a MAJOR vibration. For example, when I make a hard left at speed I feel this vibration in the right wheel and turning right, I feel it in the left wheel. Idk if it is cause the car is so low the axle vibrates because it angles down more when I turn or if it's because the car is rubbing on the plastic in the wheel well. Not really sure : /

Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 AM

so you had them check/replace teh tie rod end?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
so you had them check/replace teh tie rod end?
They said that the tie rods were ok and not bent. I'm gonna believe them cause I'm sure they would love to charge me to do tie rods.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM

wow, well what about the weight on the axle (i've never heard of this, but it makes sense)?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM

I went with New Cardone Select CV axles. I got both sides for $108 delivered from AutoParts123.com

http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/...Drivetrain.asp

http://www.autoparts123.com/
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 AM

my car is having the same problem.

and it does it at all speed but it is very noticable at 20-30mph and it gets really loud after that. my starter or solnoid just die on me so this week i am replacing it myself. (that's my paycheck)...

but i would like to add the it's the front drivers side doing it. there is no mods to my car as i just got it and it's completey stock. one big note is the inside of the tire is more worn out then the other.

the previous onwer rotated it and it happened to the other tire as well.

i was going to do an alignment and change the axles but sincce everyone has done that and seeing one person changed the tie rod and it work..... it seems like i have another expense to pay for.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM

i forgot to add that car pulls to the left when braking and goes to the right when driving. i dont want to waste money on an alignment if it is the tie-rod
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Outer tie rods are not expensive and easy to replace. Do this before getting an alignment.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM

have you resolved this vibration? i'm thinking that its because of the weakened motor mounts allowing the motor/trans to move while its under a load...and since our axles are probably at a wierd angle. the stress put on it by accelerating is making it bind, possibly, causing the vibration
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by MAXC
Same problem here too, well more like I had the same problem. like yours, my axles are also angled up when the car is on the ground. I always keep a spare set of axles because of that reason. By them being that way & being a front wheel drive car, your gonna go through axles pretty quickly. After replacing control arm bushings, motor mounts new steering rack, having the wheels rebalanced & subframe collars I still had the vibration. I thought it was the passenger side but it turned out to be the drivers side. all that was needed to be done was to replace the drivers axle with a axle the was balanced, you know how some axles have a weight rite in the middle of the axle, well thats what took care of my problem.

I've been chasing this problem for years!!!! new brakes(4 times) new hubs, new lower control arms, new tie rods, new rims, several tires and rim re-balances, new drop coils, new struts, new isolator caps, new boot covers, motor mounts, trans mount, all new engine sensors(thought maybe the crank was out of balance b/c of it's mileage), all new coil packs and plugs, trans flush ...WOW, I NEVER thought of the axles needing to be balanced...that makes PEEERRRFECT SENSE!!! if that's the case...it's time for the Tein's i've been wanting!

how much did that cost ya to get it balanced? I may as well get them both balanced while up under there!!

Last edited by 00Lightsout; 03-25-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
Ok, just as an update... The car is doing the same thing as before, but here is what I have narrowed down... the vibration occurs between 20 and 30mph and depending on the amount of throttle I give it sometimes its alot more noticeable.

Also, when I am taking a turn hard, I get a MAJOR vibration. For example, when I make a hard left at speed I feel this vibration in the right wheel and turning right, I feel it in the left wheel. Idk if it is cause the car is so low the axle vibrates because it angles down more when I turn or if it's because the car is rubbing on the plastic in the wheel well. Not really sure : /

Any thoughts?

NOT the plastic in the wheel well at all. I"m guessing it's an axle out of balance that we are all experiencing...I'm gonna pull mine out and take them to the local custom driveshaft and machining company. in hopes that they can look over everything!!