5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

chrome exhuast finisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2000, 11:05 AM

For those you who has SE or GLE

I just bought a chrome exhuast finisher for my GXE. When I tried to install it, I noticed that I can only push it half way in. I was wondering if it is normal, or I have to force it all the way in?

Does it suppose to stick out of the bumper? If not how can I get it in, as the stock muffler is spongy due to the rubber mount...

Please help by checking your stock exhaust...

Thanks all!
Old 08-30-2000, 11:21 AM

My tip on my 2000 SE looks like it somewhat hiding past the bumper

if I look straight down on the car I can't see the tip, it is hiding under the bumper slightly.
Old 08-30-2000, 11:58 AM

Re: My tip on my 2000 SE looks like it somewhat hiding past the bumper

Originally posted by Dany
if I look straight down on the car I can't see the tip, it is hiding under the bumper slightly.
yes yes the tip is about 3inches behind the bumper edge. is it a factory tip U R trying to install?
Old 08-30-2000, 12:46 PM

Re: Re: My tip on my 2000 SE looks like it somewhat hiding past the bumper

yes yes the tip is about 3inches behind the bumper edge. is it a factory tip U R trying to install? [/I][/QUOTE]

Yes, it is the factory unit which the two pipes are joined together by a thin sheet wrap around it. I can only push it in half way with my own strength. Should I try to hammer it in? The metal is very soft and I don't want to damage it. The unit tapers off and there is no area that I can use the hammer...any thoughts?

The unit came with no screws, so it must be very tight. So I guess the two pipes must be aligned with the slightly larger pipes within the unit?

Also, is there anyway to secure the muffler? When I tried to bang on it, the rubber mount is doing a very good job dispersing the vibration...
Old 08-31-2000, 03:29 AM

bolt

there shulda been a bolt. when i took my tip thingy off for to install the borla tips, i had a hell of a time prying the thing off. i tried putting it back in too and i had to pound at it.. there should be a metal peice welded on in between your two tips (at least there is on my se) where the bolt should go. when u force the chrome thingy in, take a towel, make it nice and thick and wrap it around the outside edges of the tip, take a rubber malet and slowly pound it in.. i am in no way responsible for the dents you might make.. it worked for me, but not sure if it'll work on ur car.. oh for prep, spray the tips with wd-40 and wipe it clean, then spray a lil more on there. that should help
Old 08-31-2000, 06:36 AM

dents...

... i am in no way responsible for the dents you might make.. [/I][/QUOTE]

Heheh, you know about the dents? The parts didn't come with a bolt, but since I had to hammer it in, the possibility of it coming off is slim...
Old 08-31-2000, 06:50 AM

so i see you got it on?

did u dent the tip? or no?
Old 08-31-2000, 09:09 AM

Yeah dents!

did u dent the tip? or no? [/QUOTE]

I never thought it was this soft... At the time of the installation, I couldn't get a hold of a hammer. So I used a CLUB to bang on a u-shaped metal bar press against the inner pipes of the housing. And I dent the two inner corner at the bottom...slightly though! I then found a hammer at a friend's house and hammered it in with 10 folded napkins! Where are the tools when you need them!