5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What are the best looking fog light bulbs out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM

What are the best looking fog light bulbs out there?

I went to Radio Shack before to pick up a pack of quick splices to do the fog light rewire on my Max tomorrow. I like the idea of having my fogs being able to function independently. The factory setup of only having them come on with the headlights really defeats the purpose of having them there.

However, I am not crazy about the look of my fogs. To me, the bulbs produce a dull, weak light, almost like that of a heat lamp at McDonald's.

While I would love to get a set of Lexus capsules, they don't go for cheap. Plus I would still have to bake my fogs open and install them myself. Not crazy about that idea.

An HID kit is the next logical option, but again, not very budget-friendly and I'd still be dealing with an installation that's above my skill level.

So that leaves changing the bulbs as the last option. While it may not have the most noticeable effect, I imagine some good bulbs will be a step up from the dull stock ones. The installation is simple enough for a moron like me to figure out, so this works best for myself and my wallet.

I see bulbs on eBay ranging in price from $9-20. I'd like a set of yellow bulbs, but realistically I don't think I can expect to get a nice golden yellow color similar to that of the Lexus capsules from something like this from just a bulb change (would these even work in our cars?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...#ht_3796wt_935

A stock HID headlamp match would be my next preferred option. Or just anything a little whiter and brighter than the stock ones.

So what are you guys using? Anybody pick up a set that really knocked your socks off after you installed them? Let me know what you got and if you recommend it or not. Links are a plus. Pictures =
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM

you may be able to run a silverstar type bulb. they make some blueish ones.

when i get my pass side lens fixed, im going to attempt to color match with the headlights instead of going yellow
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

The yellow bulbs would work, but they arent "xenon" or "hid" in terms of brightness. I had a pair of Luminics hyper white H3 bulbs, which is basically an ebay brand, they are not much brighter than stock, just the color is different. You have to remove a section of splash guards and remove the fog light to change the bulb, so you might as well just get an HID kit. Theres write ups round here in 5th gen stickies. Installation isnt hard at all, just make sure you mount the ballast well. You can get a HID kit from DDM Tuning for like $35 shipped now, price is the same to do JDM style or match color. It looks good to drive around dusk or on overcast days with just the fogs on, plus its actually functional.

sorry for the boat lol

pics brought to you by palm pre.

Last edited by MAXXED_816; 11-17-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM

I have these and like them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nokya...item588af767e3
Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816
The yellow bulbs would work, but they arent "xenon" or "hid" in terms of brightness. I had a pair of Luminics hyper white H3 bulbs, which is basically an ebay brand, they are not much brighter than stock, just the color is different. You have to remove a section of splash guards and remove the fog light to change the bulb, so you might as well just get an HID kit. Theres write ups round here in 5th gen stickies. Installation isnt hard at all, just make sure you mount the ballast well. You can get a HID kit from DDM Tuning for like $35 shipped now, price is the same to do JDM style or match color. It looks good to drive around dusk or on overcast days with just the fogs on, plus its actually functional.
Now those I like! They look great, nice white color but not blue. If there's one thing I'm trying to avoid here, it's the blue look. I'd be curious to see how they match up to the 02-03 stock HIDs. Not a bad price either. I definitely will be looking into these more. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Originally Posted by TallTom
Hmm... happen to have any pics of those that you wouldn't mind posting? Those could be promising. Can't beat them if they do the job well for that price.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
You embarrass me.

Pick up a 4300k HID kit from DDM. Problem solved. It's worth the extra $10 and will last you 5x longer.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Ultra-white or bluish fog lights defeat the purpose of having fog lights at all. They increase the glare-back from fog.

Where I live, lifted trucks with blue HID fogs are fairly common, and the joke around here is that those people have more money than sense, especially when you see them showing off the blue fog lights when it is not foggy out.

So if you go that route just remember that a lot of the other drivers out there are thinking you are an idiot. Jus' saying.

Fogs should be soft white or amber/yellowish to be most effective, and brighter is not better. Same reason you don't turn your hi-beams on in the fog; it just bounces back at you.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Got Retrofit?

Get a 35W 3000K HID kit from DDM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

I did a quick couple of searches on the HID kit option... $35 like you guys said from DDM Tuning. That is VERY enticing.

Are there any write-ups out there on the installation? I feel like this is something I would screw up very easily. I checked in the How-to sticky but of course the link was broken (as almost all of them in that thread are).

You guys may end up making me change my mind on the HID kit option here...
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM

It comes with instructions (I think) and it really isn't that hard.. DDM is pretty good quality as well, been using my fog lights from them for over 2 years and still working great!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
It comes with instructions (I think) and it really isn't that hard.. DDM is pretty good quality as well, been using my fog lights from them for over 2 years and still working great!
What temp bulbs are you running? If the yellows look good I think I might go with a 3000k kit.

I think you guys have me just about sold on this, especially if the kit is easy to install and will last for a good while like you said.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm using 6k, I wanted 3k after a while (and even bought bulbs but don't know where they went) but I think I'd like 6k better. 3k would look good if you did yellow fog lense IMO.

Changing bulbs or installing hids in fogs should be almost the same amount of difficulty. The only hard part was squeezing the wire inside the fog housing and closing that lid or whatever.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
I'm using 6k, I wanted 3k after a while (and even bought bulbs but don't know where they went) but I think I'd like 6k better. 3k would look good if you did yellow fog lense IMO.

Changing bulbs or installing hids in fogs should be almost the same amount of difficulty. The only hard part was squeezing the wire inside the fog housing and closing that lid or whatever.
Are you running stock 4300k HIDs or 6000k bulbs in your headlights? I'd assume 6000k to match the fogs. You do make a good point though, it wouldn't be a big deal to switch the bulbs if the color wasn't really working out.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Running 6k headlights as well.

Here's what I found on google for some instructions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5505065_repl...an-maxima.html

Here's what I found on this forum, some useful information in here if you haven't looked at that thread already:

http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i30-i35/609246-h3-fog-light-installation-few-thoughts.htmlhttp://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i30-i35/609246-h3-fog-light-installation-few-thoughts.html
Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM

8k in my fogs luv it
Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM

I am ordering the hid fog kit from ddm tuning. Do I need the hid harness or error eliminator?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:39 PM

3000K FTW!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
I went to Radio Shack before to pick up a pack of quick splices to do the fog light rewire on my Max tomorrow. I like the idea of having my fogs being able to function independently. The factory setup of only having them come on with the headlights really defeats the purpose of having them there.

However, I am not crazy about the look of my fogs. To me, the bulbs produce a dull, weak light, almost like that of a heat lamp at McDonald's.

While I would love to get a set of Lexus capsules, they don't go for cheap. Plus I would still have to bake my fogs open and install them myself. Not crazy about that idea.

An HID kit is the next logical option, but again, not very budget-friendly and I'd still be dealing with an installation that's above my skill level.

So that leaves changing the bulbs as the last option. While it may not have the most noticeable effect, I imagine some good bulbs will be a step up from the dull stock ones. The installation is simple enough for a moron like me to figure out, so this works best for myself and my wallet.

I see bulbs on eBay ranging in price from $9-20. I'd like a set of yellow bulbs, but realistically I don't think I can expect to get a nice golden yellow color similar to that of the Lexus capsules from something like this from just a bulb change (would these even work in our cars?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...#ht_3796wt_935

A stock HID headlamp match would be my next preferred option. Or just anything a little whiter and brighter than the stock ones.

So what are you guys using? Anybody pick up a set that really knocked your socks off after you installed them? Let me know what you got and if you recommend it or not. Links are a plus. Pictures =
i helped a friend of mine install the same exact bulbs. which he thought were yellow. but when we turned them on they look a little brighter than the stock bulbs. i honestly do not recommend this brand if you want to go with yellow
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 AM

I looked into it more and I'm leaning towards one of the 55w 6000k HID kits from DDM Tuning and getting matching D2R bulbs for the headlights. I looked into it more and the installation is easier than I thought it would be.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Waxima
I looked into it more and I'm leaning towards one of the 55w 6000k HID kits from DDM Tuning and getting matching D2R bulbs for the headlights. I looked into it more and the installation is easier than I thought it would be.
55W HIDs are a no go for fogs. They're just too small of a housing and you're gonna end up burning something (whether it be the reflectors or lenses). Stick with 35W and get matching D2R's and you're good.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816

sorry for the boat lol

pics brought to you by palm pre.

for the foglight HID kit where did all the "foglight installers" here mount the ballast??

PS. on the photo above, are those scorpions all over your driveway...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Ultra-white or bluish fog lights defeat the purpose of having fog lights at all. They increase the glare-back from fog.

Where I live, lifted trucks with blue HID fogs are fairly common, and the joke around here is that those people have more money than sense, especially when you see them showing off the blue fog lights when it is not foggy out.

So if you go that route just remember that a lot of the other drivers out there are thinking you are an idiot. Jus' saying.

Fogs should be soft white or amber/yellowish to be most effective, and brighter is not better. Same reason you don't turn your hi-beams on in the fog; it just bounces back at you.
I think most people interested in doing this are looking for purely a cosmetic solution to the difference in light between the headlights and foglights. Or if you're in clear driving conditions an HID foglight will provide better lighting than OEM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Here are some pics to help you:

NOKYIA Yellow Bulbs:

Now a picture to compare yellow bulb with 3000K HID

3000K hid at night

3000K HID during the day:

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM

^^^ Are those Nokya 2500k H3s ??
Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Legendman
for the foglight HID kit where did all the "foglight installers" here mount the ballast??

PS. on the photo above, are those scorpions all over your driveway...

Yes, scorpions

I have since switched to 3k and I <3 them.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by pattyt
^^^ Are those Nokya 2500k H3s ??
I think those were the 55W hyper yellow H3. They were like $25 or so from eBay.

The HID kit is also from eBay, +/- $80 and about 2Hr for the install. I ziptied the ballast to the chassis behind the bumper, and it's been there with no problem for a year.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Is there a preferred location to mount the ballast for HID fogs??