5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:51 PM

Test drove a 2k2 6speed

During lunch time I dropped by my local Nissan dealer (Lew Webb Nissan) to check out the new Maxima and Altima. They had a couple of 6speed models sitting there, so I took one for a test drive, here is my impressions:

- The 6 speed shift action is a bit shorter than the 5 speed, and the gates are tighter

- The clutch travel is still long, but there is no fuel cutoff problems at low speed

- You can feel the power increase when you floor it in second and third, however torque steer is more pronounced

- I didn't like the gauge cluster or the new seat design, the 2k-2k1 interiors look more sporty.

- I really liked the seat memory, and HID headlights.

- Exterior wise, the side skirts enhanced the appearance, but I didn't like the rear lights or the new rim design

The dealer was eager to sell me a 2k2 and buy my 2k1, but I knew I will be taking a big hit, so I politely declined.

I also checked the Altima and Sentra SE-R V Spec, both look really slick, but I didn't get to test drive them.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:55 PM

Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Sorry about that one guys. How did the new suspension feel do you think was any better? Been trying to get a test, but just not enough time with my move and all. How much faster was it? Or does it feel reletively the same!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:57 PM

Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Originally posted by madmax2k1
During lunch time I dropped by my local Nissan dealer (Lew Webb Nissan) to check out the new Maxima and Altima. They had a couple of 6speed models sitting there, so I took one for a test drive, here is my impressions:
I went and did the same thing...and I wanted to buy it, but then the dealer ran the numbers and I would have taken a $4000 hit, so I didn't even bother negotiating from there...
Old 12-18-2001, 03:24 PM

I like the seats in my 2k2 way more than the old 2k1, they provide better support and are designed much better.
Old 12-18-2001, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Originally posted by CIRCO
Sorry about that one guys. How did the new suspension feel do you think was any better? Been trying to get a test, but just not enough time with my move and all. How much faster was it? Or does it feel reletively the same!
The suspension feels just like the 2k1 SE model, I did feel the additional power, but it's nothing spectacular. The downside of this extra power, is the annoying torque steer which is much more pronounced than in the 2k1 model. I would wait to test drive the 6 speed with the HLSD before I make my final judgement.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I like the seats in my 2k2 way more than the old 2k1, they provide better support and are designed much better.
2k2 Seats are more cushy, they do not the side support as the 2k and 2k1 do to give you that snug in the seat feel.

Old 12-18-2001, 04:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Originally posted by madmax2k1
I did feel the additional power, but it's nothing spectacular.
I agree. I took the 6-speed SE out onto the highway and I was expecting more pull from all of the hype. The 2K2 did feel more powerful than my 2K1 but I was disappointed because I was not blown away compared to my 2k1. I had trouble getting the 6-speed shifter into some gears, expecially reverse, which took substantially more force than should be required. I prefer the easy shifting feel of my 5-speed.

I was still interested because of the other nice changes that Nissan had added, until he gave me my trade-in price of 20K for my 2K1.

Exit stage left.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:58 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Did you lift the lever to put the car into Reverse? if not its part of a lockout mechanism. That is why its hard to put in without using that lever.

Originally posted by jkratzer

I agree. I took the 6-speed SE out onto the highway and I was expecting more pull from all of the hype. The 2K2 did feel more powerful than my 2K1 but I was disappointed because I was not blown away compared to my 2k1. I had trouble getting the 6-speed shifter into some gears, expecially reverse, which took substantially more force than should be required. I prefer the easy shifting feel of my 5-speed.

I was still interested because of the other nice changes that Nissan had added, until he gave me my trade-in price of 20K for my 2K1.

Exit stage left.

Old 12-18-2001, 05:12 PM

i never test drove the 6-speed, but the auto had a lot more power than my auto 2k1, even the 2k2 auto alty felt like it had considerably more power, just my thought. i thought that the seats were nicer in the 2k2, but like russ said, they didn't feel supportive on the sides. i like the new 2k2, but its not a car i would trade mine for. i also checked out the new alty and se-r spec v, and they looked ****ING nice from the outside, especially the se-r, it was black with a spoiler, and the 17's, it was sick. the interiors on those cars are nasty though, the alty had a real cheap feel, especially the door panels, nasty. the red in the se-r got annoying real fast, not fun to look at, the fosgate stereo was nice though. i felt that the fosgate system had more bass than the bose(from the maxima), but the bose had better clarity, richer sound. i would consider those cars, only if i had the money to totally redue the interiors.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Did you lift the lever to put the car into Reverse? if not its part of a lockout mechanism. That is why its hard to put in without using that lever.

Of course Russ. If you don't lift the little ring around the bottom of the ****, it won't go into reverse at all.

Even with lifting the ring, reverse was not easy to engage. I've been driving manual shifts for 8 years and the 6 speed reverse is the worst I've encountered.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:53 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Actually, I put one 6spd in R without using that ring, and it went right in which was weird. The 2nd one I had to use the ring, and it went easily in.

Of course Russ. If you don't lift the little ring around the bottom of the ****, it won't go into reverse at all.

Even with lifting the ring, reverse was not easy to engage. I've been driving manual shifts for 8 years and the 6 speed reverse is the worst I've encountered.

Old 12-18-2001, 07:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Actually, I put one 6spd in R without using that ring, and it went right in which was weird. The 2nd one I had to use the ring, and it went easily in.

Ok, maybe the transmission needed to be broken in. The car only had 6 miles on it when I drove it. Maybe a second test drive is needed.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:03 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Ok, maybe the transmission needed to be broken in. The car only had 6 miles on it when I drove it. Maybe a second test drive is needed.
2nd one I drove had 400 miles on it! hehehe

Old 12-18-2001, 07:08 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

2nd one I drove had 400 miles on it! hehehe
Was that before or after your test drive?

Old 12-18-2001, 07:13 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Was that before or after your test drive?
Before. The dealer said that was there only and 1st 6spd they had. Everyone was driving it! hehehhe I am sure its been ragged too

Old 12-24-2001, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 2k2 6speed

Hi, Im scheduled to pickup my 2002 6speed on Thurs or Fri. Ive test ridden two different 6 speeds and I had no problems going through any of the gears including reverse. The shifter is a little tight but very accurate and I never missed a gear. I personally prefer a tight shifter than a sloppy one. The car also hauls ***. Defintely faster than my 98 GTP Pace car. I also didnt find torque steer to be a problem, no worse than my automatic Grand Prix. I was impressed enough to buy one. Plus, theyre offering GREAT deals now.e
Later, AL
2002 SE 6speed Mysic Silver (coming soon)