5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exedy OEM vs Stage 1 (also, flywheel?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Exedy OEM vs Stage 1 (also, flywheel?)

Not trying to beat a dead horse here (I searched!) but it has come time to replace my clutch after 134,000 miles. After extensive searching, Im looking at the Exedy kits. HOWEVER, all that searching confused me more. I dont have any performance mods on the engine. My car is 98% daily driver (highway, traffic, etc) with some spirited driving. I know the stage 1 will handle, but is it necessary? I dont want to spend twice as much for something I dont need. Of course then comes the question of needing the stage 1 vs the OEM Exedy replacement. Ive read some people saying that the OEM is too soft and the stage 1 is too much for daily driving. What is the general rule here - specifically to those with these clutches?

Also, I have known from day 1 that the flywheel weighs too much, but it seems everyone is replacing the clutch and the flywheel at the same time. Why is that? Is it just a matter of doing it while in there anyway? Is it really an investment worth making at this point? (probably going to need to answer that one on my own) Isnt is also true that you need a "medical grade" environment when replacing the flywheel? I thought there was talk a while ago about making sure not to get even a spec of dust on it. - and finally, if I do the full replacement, other than the OEM TO bearing, what else do I need to get from Dave B for the install of the flywheel?

Oh, and the obvious, other than IRP on the clutch kit, is there anybody else worth checking with? Is Brian over at Cattman still around? (for the Fidanza flywheel)

Thanks!

Last edited by Maxima-Ness; 11-21-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM

Why not get the 350z clutch kit? It's almost the same spec as the Exedy at nearly half the cost.

The only catch is you'll have to buy the Maxima throwout bearing.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 PM

A 350z HR clutch is just as strong as the Exedy stage 1 clutch, and it is cheaper.

Both have very good pedal feel.

You will need to replace the flywheel for any clutch other than an OEM replacement because the stock flywheel for the 6MT is a dual mass type. This means that the flywheel has some "spring" to it. Both the 350z and the Exedy stage 1 clutches have sprung discs, which means that you will have both a sprung flywheel AND a sprung disc, if you use one of those with a stock flywheel. This will cause drivability problems, such as chatter, as the drive-train will be to "springy".

You can get the Exedy OEM replacement clutch for $200. This is equivalent to stock, and it comes with an UNSPRUNG disc, so you can use this clutch with your stock flywheel.

Also, the stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced (no dual mass flywheel should be). Dual mass flywheels are generally considered a mantenence item, as the shock absorbtion material inside of them tends to wear out, but I don't think this is case for the Maxima's. I believe most people just reuse the stock flywheel and scuff it with some sand paper to remove any glazing. I know that's what I'm going to do.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 AM

i'm not running exedy i'm running competition clutch stage 1 and their lightweight flywheel...i love teh feel. whenever i've had to replace a clutch in my cars i always did the stage 1, just enough for the power i was planning on producing and grabs like a ****, great for a DD as well
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Toolie

the maxima exedy stage 1 clutch kit can hold more torque then the exedy stage 1 for the Z. check out the specs. But you don't need the stage 1. Just get the OEM if you are staying stock.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Why not get the 350z clutch kit? It's almost the same spec as the Exedy at nearly half the cost.

The only catch is you'll have to buy the Maxima throwout bearing.
Not that I wont call Dave B about it, but how much does the 350 clutch kit run? I think this is a good chance to change my flywheel out anyway.

Anybody got any info on how massive an udertaking the replacement of the flywheel is?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Gram Lights addict

exedy stage 1 is MUCH MUCH stiffer than stock. i had it in my sc 4th gen. there is absolutly no reason why you should go for that clutch, not only its an overkill, its a waste of money and you will ruin the car as a nice DD.I highly recommend you stay clear from it, unless you have plans to go turbo or SC within a year or so. if not just get exedy OEM and fidanza flywheel. the flywheel is a must IMO and a lot of people throw it in while they are at it because its a GREAT performance upgrade and you dont have to worry about droppin the tranny in two months to toss the flywheel or resurface it again. I highly recommend the fidanza, the difference is night and day
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM

exedy stage 1 is THAT stiff?!? thats crazy!!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
exedy stage 1 is MUCH MUCH stiffer than stock. i had it in my sc 4th gen. there is absolutly no reason why you should go for that clutch, not only its an overkill, its a waste of money and you will ruin the car as a nice DD.I highly recommend you stay clear from it, unless you have plans to go turbo or SC within a year or so. if not just get exedy OEM and fidanza flywheel. the flywheel is a must IMO and a lot of people throw it in while they are at it because its a GREAT performance upgrade and you dont have to worry about droppin the tranny in two months to toss the flywheel or resurface it again. I highly recommend the fidanza, the difference is night and day
Do not get an Exedy OEM clutch and use a Fidanza flywheel. The Exedy OEM clutch for the 6MT is unsprung and so is the Fidanza flywheel. Bad idea.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
This will cause drivability problems, such as chatter, as the drive-train will be to "springy".
I have the Exedy Stage 1 and Fidanza Flywheel and I have chatter with this setup
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Soooo, the 350 clutch kit and the Fidanza flywheel is good? Forget the Exedy stage 1 - I was pretty sure it was overkill. No plans to throw on a SC any time soon. Ill sell the car before that happens (upgrade to a 335i - dont hate!). But I will be using this as my DD for the next couple of years while I finish out grad school. Had it since new, and its paid off, so this wont hurt too bad
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Just get the OEM if you are staying stock.
Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
just get exedy OEM and fidanza flywheel.
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Do not get an Exedy OEM clutch and use a Fidanza flywheel. The Exedy OEM clutch for the 6MT is unsprung and so is the Fidanza flywheel. Bad idea.
For the OP's stock ride, that sums things up to this point. Of course, the advice here is all across the board.

But keep talking, guys. There's some good info here.

OP, your combo of a 350Z clutch and Fidanza flywheel seem right so far. Have you researched that yet? Prices, models, retailers, etc?

If I'm reading this right, it's the OEM 350Z HR clutch, right? http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_778_779.html Which runs $360 because the clutch and cover are sold together. And if I'm reading CourtesyParts correctly, it doesn't matter if it's the HR or not, because the part numbers are the same regardless.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-23-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 PM

If you can spring for a new flywheel, 350z clutch with Fidanza is the way to go.

If you can't afford a $450 flywheel, reuse the OEM flywheel and get the Exedy OEM replacement clutch.

I believe that this is the general consensus.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM

So I never got around to replacing my clutch. Instead of posting a new thread, I figured I would just revive this one.

Since I first posted, I have done some repairs and bolt on modifications. Today I replaced the spark plugs and gaskets and installed the NWP spacers (full kit). The clutch needs to be replaced bad. Is the 350Z and Fidanza still the best combo out there?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 PM

You've been driving on a bad clutch for 3 years??? Thats crazy...
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jenokh7
You've been driving on a bad clutch for 3 years??? Thats crazy...
Not bad, just old.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 AM

Honestly man, from reading the thread it sounds like you probly won't need a stage 1, or have the car long enough to justify the extra cost of the fidanza. Have you done mods other than the spacers?

Maybe the OEM spec exedy with your stock flywheel cleaned up would be your best bet.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Just a side bit of info, the 350Z exedy oem clutch does not fit the jwt flywheel. Now I am in the market for a fwd 3.5 lwt. flywheel.

here is said setup
Name:  DSC06490_zpsa9d1655c.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  DSC06488_zps01393389.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  106.8 KB
Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brl24
Honestly man, from reading the thread it sounds like you probly won't need a stage 1, or have the car long enough to justify the extra cost of the fidanza. Have you done mods other than the spacers?

Maybe the OEM spec exedy with your stock flywheel cleaned up would be your best bet.

Thanks for the response. I plan to keep the car for about three years at least. It still runs great and the problems have been sporadic but fairly easy to fix. Can you think of an org friendly site for the exedy?

Thanks!