5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advice for project plz >>

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Advice for project plz >>

Alright, before anyone bashes me for not searching something I have already done so - but being the stubborn and CAUTIOUS person I am (and there being more than one side to every story) I would still like some straightforward opinions on multiple subjects, and to get general opinions on the combination of modifications to be mentioned.
I am a little bit of a newb when it comes to some things listed but I have the tools and the help to get most of this work done without professional intervention. However, I am trying to learn everything as best I can before I even consider actually doing it.

(Remember any useful input is welcomed I want to know what you TRULY think about anything you read in this post.)

First and foremost, I would like to know some OPINIONS on doing the 3.5 crankshaft and rod swap into my 2001 3.0 to make a 3.3l. I understand that it would be more effective to swap a 3.5 in my car; having said this I would like to point out that a swap would still give me a used engine (and the fewer miles the more $$ we're talkin here) not to mention the change of harness and ecu. I was considering just rebuilding my engine (polish, new seals, bearings, replace excessively warn parts, etc) and adding the crank and rods as a nice bonus along the way.

I'm not planning on boosting, obviously, since the compression will be raised, but I do want to add an aftermarket intake such as ram air, and replace my aging y-pipe with a better flowing one. Not to mention I would like to buy a new crankshaft pulley and/or a new flywheel

My questions for these areas are:

1: Does anyone know the true effects the crank and rods will have on the ecu? In other words, will it blow up my engine w/o a tune?

2: What brand of parts would you recommend I buy to gain a decent amount of power/reliability/cost effectiveness.

3 Will the benefits and/or addition of any of these parts adversely effect the performance or integrity of the others?

(Yes I realize the cranks and rods wil put more strain on the engine thats one more reason to 'rebuild' the engine)

The above were my most important inquiries^

On a side-note I would also like to install a rear anti sway bar, front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, '04 brakes, and perhaps replace the motor mounts.

My questions for these items:

1: Are there any seriously adverse effects of adding these parts?
(Other than ride quality unless it is seriously affected.)

2: Do the benefits of any of these parts adversely effect the performance of the others?

I'm just trying to achieve a well rounded maxima, while still attaining daily drivability If you feel I should add other parts (that are relatively inexpensive), or have any concerns, please let me know!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

No thoughts?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 AM

just do the suspension items and motor mounts, you will not regret any of them at all (unless spending money is a regret) our gen can never get enough improvments to the chassis and suspension. One thing u may like or not like is the livelyness of the rear once the RSB is installed, but most people wouldnt consider that a con. just do more research on the RSB if you have any hesitation of gettin it.

the motor rebuild stuff I would do more basic research on the crank and rods. There are nice sections in the forums here just for N/A builds etc. You should find alot of nice info in there.

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor-61/
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

You need to do alot more research IMO. It seems you have a basic idea of what your talking about, but you havent grasped a complete understanding yet.

As far as the engine goes, if your planning on tearing down your 3.0 for whatever reason, it would be more beneficial to just swap in the 3.5 as a whole. You do not need the harness and the ECU to do this. You can use your stock ECU and harness if you re-use 3.0 timing components. Honestly, if you price everything out, the setup you are refering to will probably end up costing more in the end than a 3.5 swap. I dont know about where you live, but where I am, you can get a decent low mileage VQ35 for anywhere between $500 to $900. There was one not too long ago up for sale for $350 with only 34k miles on it.

If you're dead set on the 3.3 though, go ahead. Ultimately, it's your car and your money and it would be nice to see some deffinate results on a project such as this. As far as how these parts will work with the 3.0 block, I have no idea. I've never tried it first hand so I cant give you an answer on that.

As far as tunning goes, you're engine will most likely not "blow", but if your gonna spend this much time and money on such a project, a tune is a must for maximizing potential. Hell, a tune is benefitial to a bone stock motor with just bolt ons.

As far as the suspension goes, i'd recomend that you start off with a good set of springs/shocks or coilovers. The car will handle 100x better than it does in stock form and it will also look alot better with a more aggressive stance.

Overall though, (and dont take this negatively) with your current level of knowlege on maximas in general, i suggest leaving your car stock. Atleast motorwise for now. Start soaking up as much knowlege as you can before you touch that area. If anything, start with basic bolt on mods.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Not sure??
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Using specs from the 2001 and 2003 FSMs, the bore & stroke (in inches) of the 2 engines are:
2001 - 3.66 x 2.886
2003 - 3.76 x 3.205

The 2003 stroke is .364 inch greater. How are you going to deal with that in the 2001 block?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I am pretty sure they make stroker kits for the 3.5L
Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM

I just thought the 3.3 would be an interesting concept. I myself will not be assembling the engine (my mechanic only charges $200). Thanks for all the imput!