5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where can the MAF thermisistor be had?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Where can the MAF thermisistor be had?

I REALLY need to replace my MAF. The car has been throwing codes for it since September and I've noticed a drastic decrease in gas mileage over my past three tanks as well as occasional losses of power. My plan is to replace it with a new 00-01 MAF from Courtesy Parts and fit it with a thermisistor to mimic the function of the 02-03 MAF.

Here's my issue: I don't want to mutilate my still (somewhat) functional MAF for the thermisistor just in case something goes wrong with the swap. My car is a daily commuter to and from school so I don't even want to take the chance that I would be screwed by messing something up that would result in downtime for more than a few hours.

I've done a lot of reading on all the MAF and MAF swap threads. One thing I picked up on from one of the threads is it seems that you can't just go out and by the thermisistor, that it's some kind of weird thing with it being a specialty piece or something.

I PM'd one of the guys from the thread who said he was selling the thermistors for $3 or something like that. The thread was over a year old so I wasn't surprised not to get a reply. Does anyone know where to get one of these or a way to fab one up? This is pretty urgent, I can't afford to keep paying 3.49 a gallon for a gas while the car just guzzles it down at 16 mpg highway and I really don't want to end up having the car barely be able to run from the MAF completely blowing.

Please spare me the replies of "just take it off your current MAF it's not hard." I understand this but I don't want to hack up my MAF. I'd like to have it as an emergency backup if something goes wrong with the swap. I'm not going to change my mind on this unless it's absolutely my only option and I'm sure it's not.

CLIFF NOTES: Where can I buy the thermisistor piece from the 02-03 MAF on its own so I don't have to hack up my current MAF when performing a swap to an 00-01 MAF?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
I REALLY need to replace my MAF. The car has been throwing codes for it since September and I've noticed a drastic decrease in gas mileage over my past three tanks as well as occasional losses of power. My plan is to replace it with a new 00-01 MAF from Courtesy Parts and fit it with a thermisistor to mimic the function of the 02-03 MAF.

Here's my issue: I don't want to mutilate my still (somewhat) functional MAF for the thermisistor just in case something goes wrong with the swap. My car is a daily commuter to and from school so I don't even want to take the chance that I would be screwed by messing something up that would result in downtime for more than a few hours.

I've done a lot of reading on all the MAF and MAF swap threads. One thing I picked up on from one of the threads is it seems that you can't just go out and by the thermisistor, that it's some kind of weird thing with it being a specialty piece or something.

I PM'd one of the guys from the thread who said he was selling the thermistors for $3 or something like that. The thread was over a year old so I wasn't surprised not to get a reply. Does anyone know where to get one of these or a way to fab one up? This is pretty urgent, I can't afford to keep paying 3.49 a gallon for a gas while the car just guzzles it down at 16 mpg highway and I really don't want to end up having the car barely be able to run from the MAF completely blowing.

Please spare me the replies of "just take it off your current MAF it's not hard." I understand this but I don't want to hack up my MAF. I'd like to have it as an emergency backup if something goes wrong with the swap. I'm not going to change my mind on this unless it's absolutely my only option and I'm sure it's not.

CLIFF NOTES: Where can I buy the thermisistor piece from the 02-03 MAF on its own so I don't have to hack up my current MAF when performing a swap to an 00-01 MAF?
I got a pack of 3 Honeywell thermistors from somewhere online. The part number is 135-202FAG-J01. Just search on froogle.com (google's deal finder) and you'll find them.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
I got a pack of 3 Honeywell thermistors from somewhere online. The part number is 135-202FAG-J01. Just search on froogle.com (google's deal finder) and you'll find them.
Same deal for the transfer as with the thermistor from on the MAF? Just clip it in the empty clips and it's good to go or does it have to be hacked up at all?

And just realized that I spelled thermistor wrong every time I said it in the OP. Fail on my part.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
Same deal for the transfer as with the thermistor from on the MAF? Just clip it in the empty clips and it's good to go or does it have to be hacked up at all?

And just realized that I spelled thermistor wrong every time I said it in the OP. Fail on my part.
Yep, just clip it in. Easy easy easy. I soldered mine to ensure a good connection, but that's not absolutely necessary.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Banned

Try a company called digikey they sell everything.ive been wanting to get some myself my mpg are down to 9/13 and i pulled a few maf's from the yard i just need a new housing because i snapped one of the screws when i did a maf cleaning in the summer.