5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Plugs? Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mshariff
I found a pack of 6 NGK NG 4469 iridium ix spark plugs on amazon.com for 47.20 with shipping, can i use this instead of NGK platinum, here is the link for the spark plugs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A131TE6FZZS8Q

2003 nissan maxima se
The stock ones are platinum tipped. But 47.20 is good deal to buy Iridium ones. Go for it.
Prestone or Nissan Coolant should be fine. Prestones are like $15 from Autozone. If you go for a coolant flush - dont use the store coolant ( ezlube or something) - They use the lowest possible quality and claim to use them even in mercedes (thats what one guy at ezlube told me when i refused ).

And regarding - tranny flush - If you google it you will find lot of discussions. While its NOT a true statement that doing so will damage your tranny - many a times it fixes lot of problems. But lot of times - it actually made it worse - and tranny is something we dont want to mess with. Many persons reported lost their tranny after flush as high pressure flushing removed the sealing agents.
If you decide to go for a flush - DO NOT ever do that in any other shop than Dealerships..Dealers carry the special equipments for that. ALWAYS flush in a dealership.
If you buy 3-4 qts of tranny fluid - I think you should be good for a drain and refill. But if you want to repeat the drain-fill couple of times- like some users do - u may want to buy 5 qts.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM

You can actually get more than 6 qts out in a drain and fill on our automatics if you are patient and click through all the gears a couple of times.

There's a memo circulating that says Nissan dealerships are not supposed to do trans flushes, and if they do, any negative results will not be covered under warranty.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by DivaGal
Y'all forgive me, but I've my poor gal for just five months. She's an 01 SE automatic, with 110,000 miles on her. Unless it broke, I dont think the previous owner gave her anything. I bet they ran 87 cheapy in her instead of 93, never gave her new plugs, filters, oil, nothing. So, basically, I'm rebuilding her, or at least gathering information to do that when I can, little by little.

Ok. I've read that the NGK are the best plugs to get for my gal. Question I have now is, WHICH?? There are the 1.99 ones, then they have nickel, racing, iridium, platinum, whichever. Iridium and platinum are the same price, 9.89. Under the iridium description, it says it's stronger than platinum. I haven't a clue.

Then there's the whole matter of oil. I'm thinking I should go synthetic, not really sure why, but ya know, I read stuff, and that's what I see to be best. What do you guys use? And, what is the best filter? I saw an NGK filter, I think.

I assume I should get her a NGK air filter too? Or, do you guys not recommend NGK at all? Is there something better?

Oh, while I'm here, how about struts? Her drivers front, it's gone. If I replace that one, do I need to, or should I, replace the passenger side, although it is ok? What should I buy?

Just getting a feel for the basic maintenance stuff. I know she was treated badly, I'm hoping with some TLC she will come back around, show me what she's got and last me a good while longer. I look forward to tearing up a few highways with her ASAP!

Y'all have fun, I hope to see lots of opinions from those with experience in this car. My husband, he's a domestic guy, Fords and Chevys all the way. Every time he turns around, I go and buy foreign. But this gal, she yelled at me, hey! I'm pretty and I run! Which is just what I wanted,
Stay with the NKG's and go platinum. Also oil, it doesnt make a difference given the high mileage (just change regularly)
Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh, and when changing struts do at minimum both in the front but preferably all 4. The struts are key to both the suspension and stability of your ride.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sparks03max
As far as I know, yes. Just the 0w30 in green or gold bottles.
I've seen german castrol in black bottles. The real clue to look for is the "Made in Germany" on the back.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Amsoil is great

seems like I am one of the luckiest 04 owners..
I was fearing my timing chain going bad.. But after I fill in Amoil 0W-30 ( singature series from Amsoil ). the results are amazing..
it took some time..( 5-6 days) to actually observe the difference..I also used Amsoil Oil Filter..all from Ed..ya he is a cool guy..very very fast shipping..

My engine starts like new..no matter its cold or warm..no unwanted noise..no rattling during start up..seems like amsoil really lubes it well..

I am going to use it for few thousand miles and will do the UOA..

Originally Posted by vball_max
Same here ifti_sit.......just wanted to point out that RP is nothing special for the price you are paying. Just trying to help you to save a few bucks.

Great choice on the Amsoil and good luck with it. I assume you are getting it through talkinghorse on here? Ed is great to deal with.....very helpful and very fast with shipping.