5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is the clutch going??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Is the clutch going??

Hi all,

I have a new to me 5.5 6 speed, and the clutch seems to engage extremely high in the pedal travel. My mom drove the car the other day and said the same thing. Is this just the way these cars are? Is there a way to adjust the clutch?

The car has 96k worth of LSD traction in the congested DC metro area, so I wouldn't be too surprosed if the clutch is on its last legs.

Thanks for any input,

ELI

Last edited by ewakefield; 01-19-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM

I had the same problem a while back so I checked all the hydrolics first and had no leaks,then i bled the system from the master and slave.that made it grab a little better but it still wasn't right so from what ive heard the rubber hose that runs from the slave cylinder to a junction box can fault over time.i replaced the hose with oem nissan.that made it feel alot better but now a few months later it seems to be back the way it was,its been like that since 35 k so idk but some people will have a stainless braided line made from the slave directly to the master and swear by it.im about to do that soon also.hope this helps and good luck these clutches are finacky.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Do you know of a write up for this fix? Also could I tell this hose was bad by looking at it? Thanks a bunch for the info!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM

I went from a 1991 240sx 5 speed to the 2002 6 speed Max and the difference in pedal feel was drastic. The Maxima feels much less "direct" or something. Your clutch could definitely be toast, but there is a lot of play in the stock pedal setup IMO.

Does it slip at all if you're WOT?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM

As the clutch wears (basically the clutch disk friction material wears away) with use the clutch engagement/disengagement point does normally get higher up in the clutch pedal travel. As long as the clutch is not slipping when you really tromp on it in 5th or 6th, the clutch is fine. DO NOT attempt to adjust the pedal pushrod. If the clutch operating system loses fluid or has air in the system you'll have trouble with getting the tranny in gear/clashing gears issues, not a "high pedal" issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

High clutch

I had the same issue with my '03 but I had 203000km on mine, still had the original clutch assy and flywheel. I had some clunk issues though with slight sudden throttle changes at low speeds in 1st and 2nd. Thought it better to pull down and check rather than have it let me down on the road. On inspection the clutch probably still had 25% usable surface but the rubber dampening in the Dual mass flywheel had gone for a dump, hence the clunk. I made the best of it and replaced with Fidanza flywheel and Exedy clutch. Quite happy with it and the lighter flywheel, lots of fun. The engine still makes huge torque but the RPM comes real easy.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM

I almost wish mine engaged high like that. I have to push mine pretty far down to the floor for total disengagement.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM

I dont think you can tell the hose is bad by looking at it but its 30 bucks or so from your local nissan dealer or what I would do is try to have a stainless braided on for you,the people who have done it say it makes a big difference in pedal feel.then bleed the heck out of it.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM

If any one could chime in my clutch grabs all in one spot but it doesn't slip at all.its tuff starting of in first but when the cars moving it grabs better ? Im thinking hydrolics because I bought the car with 35 k and the guy I bought it from was 55 years old unless he didnt know how to drive..i am completly stumped.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM

I just think the Max clutch is just grabs more than other cars. I too noticed a difference than my old Contour SVT. I just learned to adapt and it's normal now.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Yeah, the Max is tricky in first. Way too easy to stall it if you are not paying attention to what is going on. Seems like engagement of the clutch is all-or-nothing, and almost impossible to take off slowly from first gear without getting just a little bit of vibration/chatter. Every one I've driven is like that with the stock clutch.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I almost wish mine engaged high like that. I have to push mine pretty far down to the floor for total disengagement.
mine is like that too. i could quarter clutch the SVT so it was a big surprise getting in the maxima. can't be hamfisted with these cars or they will let you know!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM

you got that right troop,couldn't have said it any better.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Yeah, the Max is tricky in first. Way too easy to stall it if you are not paying attention to what is going on. Seems like engagement of the clutch is all-or-nothing, and almost impossible to take off slowly from first gear without getting just a little bit of vibration/chatter. Every one I've driven is like that with the stock clutch.
Just replaced my clutch about 1200 miles ago. Engages beautifully in every gear including first. Nissan OEM clutch and OEM flywheel. It is a lot lighter than my 3rd and 4th gen were. I'd rather have the heavy pedal. Oh well.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

I agree with the "all or nothing" engagement, and I'm glad im not the only one that has trouble starting the car smoothly haha. I havent experienced any slipping under hard throttle.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM

To the OP; let my wife drive it for a day or two and the answer will be "yes"
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM

To the OP; let my wife drive it for a day or two and the answer will be "yes"
hahahaha
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Well it turns out the clutch was going..... Now I'm wondering what my options are for replacement. I've done some searching on the forum but still have some questions. My car is completely stock and is daily driven, so smooth and easy is the goal. Should I just stick to OEM, or is it time for something new?

It seems like a lot of people run a fidanza flywheel if they switch to a lightweight single mass. Are there any disadvantages to running a lightweight flywheel other than it costing more than machining the stock one? Also what are the best options for pressure plate and clutch? (remember smooth and easy is key)

Money is also sort of a concern so cheaper is better.

Last edited by ewakefield; 03-03-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM

I believe mine may be going as well. ive tried stomping on it in 5th and 6th but doesnt slip. It just feels like it comes up high. Has anyone tried the a Stage 2 Clutch? and what were the pros and cons of it?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Took me a few days to get used to it. Usually try to walk it off the line with minimal rpm and slippage, seems to work very well now. Definitely grabs hard when I shift quick the few times I've romped on it.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by max611
I believe mine may be going as well. ive tried stomping on it in 5th and 6th but doesnt slip. It just feels like it comes up high. Has anyone tried the a Stage 2 Clutch? and what were the pros and cons of it?
I've got a competition stage 2 and a spec aluminum flywheel in and I can say that after break-in the engagement is identical to stock. The flywheel does induce a bit of chatter but it seems to have had minimal effect on engagement. Overall, the clutch seems to have absolutely no negatives associated with it in comparison to stock and it definitely grabs more authoritatively when you really want to slam one home. The flywheel also seems to have made it all a bit more dramatic, with vastly improved throttle response that makes everyday driving even more entertaining. Better fuel economy too, but you won't get to enjoy it because you'll be romping on her so often.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 PM

seastone what are the specifics on your setup and where'd you get the parts?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Searches, my friend. That information is all over the place. I know one direction people often go is to a 350Z clutch. There is an aftermarket clutch, I think a stage II, that is identical to, but cheaper than, Nissan's OEM variant.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ewakefield
seastone what are the specifics on your setup and where'd you get the parts?
The clutch is a
Competition stage 2
model: 6074-2100-1

flywheel
Spec aluminum
model: SN85A

you can search the model numbers on google shopping and pick out the best prices as I did. Be sure that you get the SN85A for the maxima and not the 350z as there are key mechanical differences.

My newest clutch related issue is the wildly varying engagement point. Not saying it has anything to do with the clutch but that the tards who installed my braided line didn't bleed everything thoroughly. Suggestions? slave cylinder?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Thanks seastone. im looking into it now. your car looks amazing with the 6th generation rims on it. all ive got to say is WOW.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by seastone14

My newest clutch related issue is the wildly varying engagement point. Not saying it has anything to do with the clutch but that the tards who installed my braided line didn't bleed everything thoroughly. Suggestions? slave cylinder?
I'd say it is probably fluid/slave/master related, otherwise engagement should be pretty consistent.