5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion [Picture heavy]

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM

LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion [Picture heavy]

Hey guys, so after some time I finally decided to go ahead and convert the whole car and it looks awesome.

Below is a little write up on how I did mine and tons of pictures.

Starting at the front door lights, stock bulb.

Cover pops off with a flat head, a t10 filament bulb.

Replaced with a 3x3 array of LED's, fits perfect.

Cover back on.

Moving up to the map lights. Cover pops off with a flathead as well.

Replaced with a 2x3 array of LEDs, fitment is also perfect.

Test both lights.

Cover on.

Dome light is the same process, pops off with a flathead, festoon bulb is replaced with a 3x3 array. Double sided tape used to secure the bulb.

Cover on.

Moving on to the trunk bulb, standard t10 bulb, just like in the doors. Cover opens up.

Replaced with a 1w high powered LED.

Cover on.

I forgot to take a picture of the stock bulbs but the removal is straight forward. its 2 screws and the lights slide out. it also uses the t10 bulb just like the trunk. Replaced with the same 1w bulbs as used for the trunk.

Last edited by Tyutyunnik; 10-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Some outdoor night pictures.

Door light.

Interior.

Helps you see that 1 foot of snow on the ground in case you missed it.

Trunk light with my tools.

Whole car shot.

I get complimented on these every day. I'd love to hear what you guys think and if you'd be interested in a group deal type thing.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM

came out very good
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Those look sweet man, I'm in Ontario where did you get these from and how do you order them, in 2x3 or 3x3 packs or do you make the rows yourself?

Looks good nice work.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Those look sweet man, I'm in Ontario where did you get these from and how do you order them, in 2x3 or 3x3 packs or do you make the rows yourself?

Looks good nice work.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Wow looks really good !!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

Looks good nice work.
Thanks =D. A good friend of mine orders them in ridiculously large quantities from Honk Kong (which is where they all originate from, from my understanding). I thought I'd give them a try and they just turned out f!@#!$ awesome. They come pre-made (3x3 or 2x3) with adapters for every socket. The only one I didn't get is the glovebox which uses a t5 (super small) bulb but I'm going to ask him later about those.

I think I'm going to add a thread in the classifieds section if you guys are interested.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM

I'm interested PM me if you can ship me some and cost, etc.
I'm in Kitchener, Ontario
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I've got this done on my car, too. People seem to love the LED interiors for some reason. I really do like the way the LEDs light up my license plate, though.

Here's a heads up for people wanting to do this: If you plan on doing the map lights, and using an actual bayonette bulb LED like I did, you need to reverse the polarity of the sockets. The way OP did it is actually easier.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Oh yeah, btw. I can think of one more bulb you missed.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I've got this done on my car, too. People seem to love the LED interiors for some reason. I really do like the way the LEDs light up my license plate, though.

Here's a heads up for people wanting to do this: If you plan on doing the map lights, and using an actual bayonette bulb LED like I did, you need to reverse the polarity of the sockets. The way OP did it is actually easier.
Yep that's a good point, LED's can only be hooked up one way and if it doesn't work then you have to reverse the polarity. Thankfully these were the perfect ones and I had no issues.

These are definitely a chick magnet though. =D
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 PM

What did you have the exposure on your camera set to? Those night shots are bright, bright, bright.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

been contemplating the rest of the lights. if you can setup a package shipped to 20772 shoot me a quote and im interested.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Looks great I need to do this asap
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM

What did you have the exposure on your camera set to? Those night shots are bright, bright, bright.
What bulb did I miss?? I already mentioned the glove box right, tiny tiny bulb in there.

And yeah I may have over exposed the last one just for dramatic effect but they do really light up the ground quite well.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
What bulb did I miss?? I already mentioned the glove box right, tiny tiny bulb in there.

And yeah I may have over exposed the last one just for dramatic effect but they do really light up the ground quite well.
Flip down your sun visors. You'll see what I mean.

I have yet to get an LED in my glove box. The wire in there shorted out. Or broke. Or something. Other than my dash/sound and HVAC controls, all the other incandescent bulbs are gone from my interior, though.

And trust me, I believe you. Even the little 8-LED 194 bulbs I have in my doors are surprisingly bright.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM

indeed visor leds ftw.
All autotragics dont forget gear shifter bulbs
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101

indeed visor leds ftw.
LOL I did miss those you're right but those look like they might cause an accident. What kind of bulbs are in there, does anyone know?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM

Dang...those visor LEDs are way brighter than the ones I have. Mine have 3 LEDs a piece. I forget the bulb number off the top of my head, though.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
LOL I did miss those you're right but those look like they might cause an accident. What kind of bulbs are in there, does anyone know?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Those are the ones I'm using, they're pretty bright.. shipping takes about two weeks but worth it.

edit: I might be interested in the door lights depending on price, you can pm me if you'd like. (My 194 bulbs don't last very long but they were very very cheap)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM

^ Those are the exact bulbs I have. They fit perfectly.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Nicely done. This makes me consider going LED in my trunk as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Honestly, the LED I have in my trunk is a whole lot brighter than that dinky 194 bulb Nissan decided to put in there...well worth doing it.

I used to have to struggle to see what all was in my trunk. No problems now.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Got Retrofit?

Looks good! My interior is LED'd out the *** and I love it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 AM

I would be interested in one for the license plate
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM

OP, nice job with the LED panels. I have a very similar setup. Love having white LED in the dome line, courtesy lights and map lights.

Flip down your sun visors. You'll see what I mean.
Every time I go to actually use my visor mirror at night (no, not to check my make-up), I'm reminded of the regret for swapping in LED's here. Sure, it *looks* good, but it's not at all effective. Too much glare, too bright. Can't see the mirror well enough.

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Nicely done. This makes me consider going LED in my trunk as well.
This is an often overlooked lighting mod, but one well worth pursuing.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 AM

I am interested in buying the whole set. Plz PM me price shipped to 70122.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
OP, nice job with the LED panels. I have a very similar setup. Love having white LED in the dome line, courtesy lights and map lights.

Every time I go to actually use my visor mirror at night (no, not to check my make-up), I'm reminded of the regret for swapping in LED's here. Sure, it *looks* good, but it's not at all effective. Too much glare, too bright. Can't see the mirror well enough.

This is an often overlooked lighting mod, but one well worth pursuing.

Technically if you really cared to keep it white you could find the power line for those visor lights probably somewhere in the a pillar or something and throw a resistor on.

Btw OP are those snow tires? I know my maxima would have probably been stuck in that. Hankook fail

Last edited by luvlexus101; 02-07-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

they sell the led Dome light at auto zone for like 15 dollars was also think about doing a led lite set up but it can be pricey if u get them from auto zone
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Nice, just bought me sum the other day. Waiting on this snow to clear up to do a video install
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 AM

It's true, the dome lights are a bit counter intuitive, kinda like HIDs in reflector housings. YES the are brighter, but the final result might blind you or other people which causes you to see less. Still looks pretty cool though! It's essentially a miniature festoon bulb. I think I'll leave mine stock for now though =D
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Technically if you really cared to keep it white you could find the power line for those visor lights probably somewhere in the a pillar or something and throw a resistor on.

Btw OP are those snow tires? I know my maxima would have probably been stuck in that. Hankook fail
I think I'll just stick to the stock bulbs :P

Yes those are snow tires, they definitely help but I still call it "Fail Wheel Drive". I got stuck going up a hill the other day because I actually stopped at the stop sign and couldn't get moving again. There was a pedestrian passing me on the sidewalk and he was probably thinking "what a tool".
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM

The biggest issue is most LED's are so directional. To get rid of the blinding light in your eyes you'd have to dim them so much that the light would be useless anyways.
There are places where incandecents still do a much better job. It's a matter of balance
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
they sell the led Dome light at auto zone for like 15 dollars was also think about doing a led lite set up but it can be pricey if u get them from auto zone
The Autozone interior LEDs are a joke compared to the ones you can order from Hong Kong.

I had one of the 15-LED panels from Autzone in my 4AT's dome light. That thing barely lit up the interior. Now I have a normal 30mm 4-panel LED in there that I got off of eBay for $3, and it's just as bright as the 15-LED panel.

Lately, I've been considering trying to find a way to make the map lights light up when the dome light comes on...I've seen a few other cars that do this, and I definitely think it's nice-looking. Brightens the interior overall, too.

It wouldn't be hard to do...just a bit time-consuming.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Lately, I've been considering trying to find a way to make the map lights light up when the dome light comes on...I've seen a few other cars that do this, and I definitely think it's nice-looking. Brightens the interior overall, too.

It wouldn't be hard to do...just a bit time-consuming.
IIRC, the main dome light is ground triggered, I was thinking of doing this too let us know if you find the wiring diagram or how to do this Brett!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm sure it's in the FSM somewhere...just gotta dig.

I was actually thinking of taking a short cut and just tapping the hot side of the dome light, threading some wire through to the map lights, running a directional resistor, and then tapping in just below the push switch on the map lights. That way they'd retain their on/off functionality, and still come on with the dome light. In theory.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM

I'm sure it's in the FSM somewhere...just gotta dig.

I was actually thinking of taking a short cut and just tapping the hot side of the dome light, threading some wire through to the map lights, running a directional resistor, and then tapping in just below the push switch on the map lights. That way they'd retain their on/off functionality, and still come on with the dome light. In theory.
As long as both lights are activated by the same polarity that should work great, good idea.

My comp crashed I lost my FSM download, I need to find it again.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Not quite the same as what you guys are thinking however what you guys want to do I think could be done with a relay converting the negative door trigger to power the map light +. Get a micro relay since its not pulling a lot of power and it could probably all fit within the pillar!

Brett I've done the 'dome map light' mod inspired by member dj kevinnn, what I did in my situation was add an led board to each map light while keeping the stock map light bulbs and tied those two boards into the dome light circuit (both + and -) So when the dome light comes on so do the boards in the map lights and the regular map light still functions as always.

Now converted all the white cause I can't see squat in the dark with blue lol
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM

I just started my LED work, with license plate, front and rear blinker conversions (w/LED flasher module)

Great work! Where did you buy your 3x3 T10 board?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM

I ordered these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Super cheap and work awesome! Came with a nice assortment of adapters, including the bayonet ones that are such a PITA to find. Enjoy!

Tyutyunnik: Would these be better for the License:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-19...Q5fAccessories

Since they are at a right angle to the sicket and the plate is at a right angle to light??

Quick Reply: LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion [Picture heavy]