5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vibration during acceleration, after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Vibration during acceleration, after lowering

i'm trying to go to the 1/4 mile track this weekend...but one main thing hinders me...the vibration in the 'axle' i guess. upon acceleration 1-2-(sometimes) 3rd gear. i have a vibration in the steering wheel, mainly. i got an alignment friday after work (1 week after installing my BC coilovers)...seemed to take care of it for a little while...but by later that night/saturday morning i felt it coming back along w/ the car pulling to the right again....

before i took it to them to get aligned my driver side tire was like this(\) and my passenger side was like this (|)...granted it was straightened when i got it aligned, and it seemed to be the cause of my vibration as after the alignment i had no vibration, nor pulling. it still seems that my toe is corrected, but of course i dont have 'computerized eyes' to tell if its correct, any recommendations? i do plan on calling them to recheck it because it shouldnt be, at worse, pulling again 'right after' i got it aligned. its not like i hit any harsh bumps that would knock it out of align THAT much to make it start pulling again.

SN: my driver side axle has been open/busted for a while anyway, but i never had the vibration, prior to the coilover install. in essence...this is my original axle as far as i know and it hasnt slung grease only to basically let me know that i do have a busted axle...very few slings of grease, other than that, that wheel is clean, inside and out and when i turn, there is no clicking. only noise i hear is the inner fender lining hitting the wheel when im making a turn

for reference, this is the height of my car and raising up isnt an option that i want to hear

Last edited by phatboislim; 02-07-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM

What you are likely feeling is binding. Raising it up is probably the only option. Replace your axles first with QUALITY ones. My stock axles were shot after ONE week. I ended up going with brand new ones from NAPA (note: NOT re-manufactured!). They survived nearly a year of being slammed and another year dropped about 2 inches and are still going strong. I suppose you can check your tie rod as well considering it is also at an extreme angle.

On a more serious note, driving around with an axle that needs attention is beyond stupid. If you can't afford to maintain your car, ride the bus.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 AM

ill price one at napa...another thing has been brought to my attention is motor mount which i've been wanting to do anyway. i've been told that after cross rotating my tires, that maybe my next move.

as far as driving around without getting something fixed. i have the means to get it done, main reason it hasnt been replaced. i didnt want to rip open a brand new axle as soon lowered. it. extra work for no reason. ill get it done, but i know a busted axle wouldnt cause it. binding sounds more realistic. i've dropped nearly over two grand in repairs/maintenance in my car in the last 6 months, so its not whether i can afford it, its repairing/maintaining/taking care of while i'm in the area. not to mention i dont have the time. when it starts clicking then i know its time to hurry up. but its been that way since before i ever lowered it when i had my 19s. so if it didnt sling grease/click when i had the 19s, i'm ok, obviously. thanks for your input though, i highly appreciate it
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
STFU n00b!

A busted axle WILL cause all kinds of vibrations and pulling. you'd be amazed all of the weird issues an axle will cause.

If the thing is busted, just replace it. can't rule it out until you do, and you know you need to replace it.
and when you're done, you need to get another alignment since you have to rip apart the suspension to remove the axle.

And while you're at it, go ahead and replace the axle on the other side. when one fails, the second usually isn't far behind.

finally.. raise your car. it's too low and is likely causing the axle to bottom out in the housing, which will cause vibrations, severe wear, and quick failure.

whether you want to hear it or not, it's the troof. problems will continue to happen until you do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM

passenger side axle is at least 25-30k miles old and still in good shape..ill take care of the other. as far as raising it, naw, not going to happen. i appreciate the words of wisdom, but ill just stay as a 'young dumb (fill in whatever else you want) but this appeases me as my car. i will rule out teh axle. i've been waiting to do it also as i've been waiting ot get 15k on this 'new' trans that ive put in so i can drop the MTF at the same time. so ill do it then.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
passenger side axle is at least 25-30k miles old and still in good shape..ill take care of the other. as far as raising it, naw, not going to happen. i appreciate the words of wisdom, but ill just stay as a 'young dumb (fill in whatever else you want) but this appeases me as my car. i will rule out teh axle. i've been waiting to do it also as i've been waiting ot get 15k on this 'new' trans that ive put in so i can drop the MTF at the same time. so ill do it then.
What kind of axle did you replace it with originally?

Like I said, being that low will destroy axles within a few weeks if they are cheap and/or re-manufactured ones. Or in my case, what appeared to be the originals. Might as well do the other side, even if it does have 25-30k unless you have raxxles in there or something.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM

i got the passenger side axle from advance auto parts...driver side is still the original. granted i didnt google Raxles, but do they have an official website or is there a vendor on here?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM

i got the passenger side axle from advance auto parts...driver side is still the original. granted i didnt google Raxles, but do they have an official website or is there a vendor on here?
http://www.raxles.com/

Or like I mentioned, you could try the NAPA ones, as long as they're the new ones.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
STFU n00b!

the axle has a lifetime warranty if you got it from ADvance, right? (either way, they're crap reman axles if you got them from a parts store. A-1 Cardone most likely. which is junk..)

if so, just tell them it's got a vibration or the shaft is bent or something and you need another one replaced under warranty. replace both at the same time while you have the car in pieces.

as for lowering.... you've been warned. Young and dumb is right.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fast1one
On a more serious note, driving around with an axle that needs attention is beyond stupid. If you can't afford to maintain your car, ride the bus.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fast1one
http://www.raxles.com/

Or like I mentioned, you could try the NAPA ones, as long as they're the new ones.
i checked the ones at napa...driver side with a 1 year warranty, brand new - 69.99 and passenger same warranty 79.99. i'm going to check raxles and compare...i might just do a swap out with advance again after i find my receipt to make sure thats the one i got and just change it out

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
as for lowering.... you've been warned. Young and dumb is right.
no offense taken...everyone has their pet peeve. yours is total functionality, i'm about function, but sometimes..i just love to form. after a little while and if motor mounts and axles dont fix/reduce my vibration ill probably raise it up....but i do love the sexy

Last edited by phatboislim; 02-08-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
STFU n00b!

sexy is your opinion... I think it looks like rice.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

you make a thread about your car low now with a bad axle just change it and end of story
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
sexy is your opinion... I think it looks like rice.
maybe ill remove my cattman and throw a ebay n1 style muffler outback to complete my ricetastic look
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM
STFU n00b!

.. aaaand on that note, moving to general.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM

i appreciate the help though. i will try and get some results within the next week or so pending MTF and mechanic availability
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM

So... youth and maturity prioritize an inverse relationship to style and substance?

No way! Say it isn't so!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM

There goes Rochester, re-stating the obvious with his UNIQUE style and prose.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Advance does sell new axles, and they arent Cardone. i say take it back and get ur free replacement under warranty and see how it does with a fresh axle.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 AM

yea thats teh plan. i had my mechanic ride with me yesterday after work and he confirmed the axles as that same vibration he had in a stock accord. so i'm buying a new one on teh driver and a free replacement on the passenger
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Suspension Yoda

Buy Raxles. Don't bother with anything else.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Buy Raxles. Don't bother with anything else.
i DO NOT understand why you guys keep posting this ****?!?!

Have we NOT established that Raxles does NOT make passenger side replacements for 5th gens?????

Am I crazy??!? Why why why?!?!?

gr
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Suspension Yoda

"you guys" ....

I have one on my car....from Raxles, passenger side. I have a 5.0 gen.

Unless you're talking about 5.5 gen passenger side....if the OP has a 5.5 gen and the aforementioned statement is true, then I digress.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
"you guys" ....

I have one on my car....from Raxles, passenger side. I have a 5.0 gen.

Unless you're talking about 5.5 gen passenger side....if the OP has a 5.5 gen and the aforementioned statement is true, then I digress.
Sorry Dj -- I know you better than that....

I thought the 5th gen was the same as the 5.5, according to Raxles.

I think Phatboi IS in a 5.5 -- but he doesn't say, and I don't know for sure.

i digress as well. (deep breath)

gr

**edit: his picture LOOKS like a 5th gen**
Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM

naw i'm not paying that kinda money for axles..
Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Leave it that height. The Axle companies need consumers.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM

you do your height and ill do mine, get off my jock, i'm not busting your ***** about your height, seriously
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM

You created the thread. The issue is you are too low. Its just the reality of the situation.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 AM

and if replacing the axles fixes it, what's your excuse? took it to my mechanic another vehicle, stock height, had the same exact vibration, axle fixed it...as soon as he felt me accelerate, he confirmed axles. so this will be done in about two wks as i have to order my MTF first
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM

Excuse?

If a new axle fixes the one that was ruined due to excessive lowering I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The issues with lowering a 5th Gen beyond a certain point and chewing the axles is well documented on the .org.
I'm really not trying too bust your *****, the symptom and cause seem to be obvious.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by MaximusTi
Excuse?

If a new axle fixes the one that was ruined due to excessive lowering I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The issues with lowering a 5th Gen beyond a certain point and chewing the axles is well documented on the .org.
I'm really not trying too bust your *****, the symptom and cause seem to be obvious.
You just don't understand what it's like being slammed. Axles always breakin', haters always hatin'... But my boys- er I mean the ladies, they be all over it.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-12-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
You just don't understand what it's like being slammed. Axles always breakin', haters always hatin'... But my boys, I mean the ladies, they be all over it.
I also don't know what it's like to jam a broomstick up my butt...

...assuming they're about the same thing, having done neither.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Excuse?

as if i dont already know...the axle on my driver side had over 190k before the boot busted and that was BEFORE i put coilovers on and had vibration issues. teh passenger side was replaced at about 150k with a busted axle, with just the same 2" drop i had on my car, so as far as chewing axles, thats not my case...there are others lower with no axle chewing issues. my problem is only vibration, thats it.

i just dont see the need to go overboard about telling someone they need to raise their car because its 'stupid/ugly' to be that low. i can say to you its stupid/ugly to be as high as you are, but i dont bust anyones ***** on this forum. if thats how they want to ride, thats them, and what they decide. i have teh ability to raise at will, and if i feel/have the need/want to do so i will. until then ill ride like this. nearly a better ride than my dropzone springs and illuminas i had and im lower than where i was. so no complaints on how low i am, although i'm not slammed
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 PM

as if i dont already know...the axle on my driver side had over 190k before the boot busted and that was BEFORE i put coilovers on and had vibration issues. teh passenger side was replaced at about 150k with a busted axle, with just the same 2" drop i had on my car, so as far as chewing axles, thats not my case...there are others lower with no axle chewing issues. my problem is only vibration, thats it.

i just dont see the need to go overboard about telling someone they need to raise their car because its 'stupid/ugly' to be that low. i can say to you its stupid/ugly to be as high as you are, but i dont bust anyones ***** on this forum. if thats how they want to ride, thats them, and what they decide. i have teh ability to raise at will, and if i feel/have the need/want to do so i will. until then ill ride like this. nearly a better ride than my dropzone springs and illuminas i had and im lower than where i was. so no complaints on how low i am, although i'm not slammed
Please read my posts carefully. In no place did I make any derogatory remarks about the appearance of your car.

Excessive lowering leads too issues such as you are experiencing. I, along with a few others in this thread were eluding too that fact. And it is, a fact.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

Wow, this turned into a fail thread pretty quickly.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 AM

*update* replaced both axles w/ DSS axles, i still have vibration during accelerating, but nothing as major as i was feeling this pass weekend as my axle was basically seperating and i was 200 miles from home *talk about a scary ride home*.

so i'm going to rotate my tires, see if that eliminates my vibration.

if it doesnt (wierd theory) i'm going to lower the back to make the drop even all teh way around

if that doesnt work then im going to raise it up maybe half an inch and see what it does
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM

It's not your axle! It's more than likely your Passenger side motor mount jumping around.....while at it check all of them!!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
It's not your axle! It's more than likely your Passenger side motor mount jumping around.....while at it check all of them!!!!!
i'm glad you said this, because the more and more i think about it, i think its GOT to be my motor/trans mounts. since the axle is probably in an awkward position sitting as it is as its lowered, when i put a load on the car/engine, it makes sense because the engine shifts when i put a load on it, causing the awkward positioned axle to vibrate, causing vibration during acceleration. i'm going to talk to my mechanic today and see what free time he has the wk after next to install or if he'll help me install them after work one day
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

You created the thread. The issue is you are too low. Its just the reality of the situation.
This is honestly the truth. My car used to be slammed but axles didn't even last a week before they went bad. After replacing axles 3 times on each side I said f it and now sit at a ride height that is low but not slammed.

Our 5th gen maxima's just aren't good cars to slam or stance.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM

axles busting i understand...i'm speaking on teh vibration. and like i mentioned, i believe i've sourced the issue, refer to post 37 and 38

Quick Reply: Vibration during acceleration, after lowering