5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlights, Headlights...Retro/Ebay/5.5 Step in Gentlemen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

I am actually looking at doing this exact retro tcaughy but with different housing for the projectors. I am also torn between the E55 and the TL. But that is my own problem that I have to decide on.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM

^^Both are pretty nice. I went with the FX-R because they are designed with retrofitters in mind and had better mounting options. Plus, the awesome color and sharpness of the cutoff sold me. You are checking out theretrofitsource.com, aren't you? If not, take a peak, they are awesome in providing cutoff pictures and projector comparisons, and there prices have come down like 20 bucks since I did my retro . Good luck though!

I am not sure where they are with the s2k-r projectors, but when i found out they were in the process of making them, I wish I would have waited. But sad to say, the last time I checked, they pulled off all information regarding the s2k-r projector production. Who knows, but the output of the preproduction s2k-r looks waay better than any FX-R, TL, or E55's.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM

i love the stock 5.5 lights but I think I am in the minority. I think those lights above date the car. But you do what you like.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM

TunerMaxima, you seem to be an innovative, think outside of the box kind of guy so I'll propose this. How about retrofitting your 5.5 lights with a projector setup? It's been done before, but here's where the innovative part comes in. Nobody's really done it in a way that has looked that great. The projectors on all the ones I've seen stick out very far into the headlight, almost all the way to the lens.

My proposition is that you do a retrofit on the 5.5 lights in a way so that the projector sits back further, almost flush with where the stock light would be. If they sat back in the right spot, the projectors would look awesome in there. I'll try to get some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

I mean hey, you got really crafty with that grille project. Why not do something outside the box for this?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks so much tcaughey for posting your retro man, great work BTW.

I hope you don't mind my posting these pics from your site:

This isn't too bad, I take it this is with e55's and painted housings?

I'm going to PS that onto my car later if I can pull it off.

So unless I really like the PS I do later, my decisons have come down to:

1. Leave the AE lights on, and install HID kit, do whatever is necessary to eliminate/greatly reduce glare, whatever it takes.

2. 5.5 lights, leave the Xenon as it is, probably blacked out housings.

3. 5.5 lights with a retrofit (Waxima's suggestions are tempting too)

I will probably end up just getting a HID kit if the 5.5 lights I purchased end up getting returned.
Please keep the pictures and opinions coming.

Keep in mind, I've decided the Ebay lights are not for me, way too cheap looking from any pics I've seen so far.

And I still like the idea of putting a false (probably halogen lens) projector with a real projector and doing a Dual Retro in the 5th gen housings.
If I could find a cheap enough donor projector set (working or not) that I could test out on a donor housing (I can get the donor housing) then I'd try it for sure, and if it worked, I'd do it. But without donor projectors, it is very unlikely I'll attempt it, not worth the money unless I know it can be done and look good.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM

OP, question:

Since you're considering keeping your 5th gen headlights...

Would you be open to selling your 5.5's?

I need a passenger side headlight...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by tcaughey
Moar pics. They were taken with the projectors on, and sorry, I don't have any other pics at the moment without the lights on .

[pics]
I drove this car.

With this single projector retrofit, it makes everything in front of you look like broad daylight.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM

I'm with Rochester on leaving your AE lights stock. Your front end looks solid as is.

That being said, if you do retro the halogen housings make sure you get some good shields for the glare.

http://faqlight.shopower.com/special-topics.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
OP, question:

Since you're considering keeping your 5th gen headlights...

Would you be open to selling your 5.5's?

I need a passenger side headlight...
Don't know if I'm keeping the 5.5's yet. The passenger side has a slight crack over by the fender (corner) that happened during shipping, I'm waiting on an answer from seller/UPS regarding the next step.

And I would NOT sell them individually if I did sell them. Sorry bro. I'll let you know first dibs if I keep them and they go up for sale.

Originally Posted by MaximusTi
I'm with Rochester on leaving your AE lights stock. Your front end looks solid as is.

That being said, if you do retro the halogen housings make sure you get some good shields for the glare.

http://faqlight.shopower.com/special-topics.htm
Thanks for posting that Markus, too funny I was researching ways to do that the other day in case I decide to go HID in stock housings. Awesome link.

I agree, the front is solid as is. I want HID's though. If I can find a way to get good/stock output with minimal to no glare by installing a kit, then that's the route I"m most likely to go.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Retrofits are FTW....

I like the 5th gen headlight retro thats been posted in here
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Retro all the way. TMax, if it's worth it to you I'll reset them and take pictures of them (in reference to PM)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Don't know if I'm keeping the 5.5's yet. The passenger side has a slight crack over by the fender (corner) that happened during shipping, I'm waiting on an answer from seller/UPS regarding the next step.

And I would NOT sell them individually if I did sell them. Sorry bro. I'll let you know first dibs if I keep them and they go up for sale.
Damn it. The passenger side is the one I need most.

MEH.

I wouldn't ask you to split them up.

I know selling an individual headlight is a royal biatch. Just lemme know if you decide to get rid of them. I'll figure out something to do with the spare driver's headlight...
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Will do Brett. I am pretty sure if I get them back they'll be getting fixed up as best as possible and installed. Who knows at this point.

Anyways, I tried doing a PS onto my car from the pics of Caughey's Headlights. It was an epic fail. I'll post it in PS forum to see if someone can actually do it properly. I have serious doubts that it would look good on a white car though.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks so much tcaughey for posting your retro man, great work BTW.

I hope you don't mind my posting these pics from your site:

This isn't too bad, I take it this is with e55's and painted housings?

I'm going to PS that onto my car later if I can pull it off.

So unless I really like the PS I do later, my decisons have come down to:

1. Leave the AE lights on, and install HID kit, do whatever is necessary to eliminate/greatly reduce glare, whatever it takes.

2. 5.5 lights, leave the Xenon as it is, probably blacked out housings.

3. 5.5 lights with a retrofit (Waxima's suggestions are tempting too)

I will probably end up just getting a HID kit if the 5.5 lights I purchased end up getting returned.
Please keep the pictures and opinions coming.

Keep in mind, I've decided the Ebay lights are not for me, way too cheap looking from any pics I've seen so far.

And I still like the idea of putting a false (probably halogen lens) projector with a real projector and doing a Dual Retro in the 5th gen housings.
If I could find a cheap enough donor projector set (working or not) that I could test out on a donor housing (I can get the donor housing) then I'd try it for sure, and if it worked, I'd do it. But without donor projectors, it is very unlikely I'll attempt it, not worth the money unless I know it can be done and look good.

Ehh yeah man. Those pics are the old shrouds. And actually old stock AE headlights. I actually scooped up an awesome deal on some new AE lights and better shrouds, and my current setup looks WAY better than those pics. I actually wanna puke looking at those. Blahg.

I'll get some new pics tomorrow of how they look currently

Haha and yeah Moncef, it really is like broad daylight. It is NUTZ. i honestly cannot drive any other car because I feel like I cannot see with the stock halogens of other cars.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by tcaughey
Ehh yeah man. Those pics are the old shrouds. And actually old stock AE headlights. I actually scooped up an awesome deal on some new AE lights and better shrouds, and my current setup looks WAY better than those pics. I actually wanna puke looking at those. Blahg.

I'll get some new pics tomorrow of how they look currently

Haha and yeah Moncef, it really is like broad daylight. It is NUTZ. i honestly cannot drive any other car because I feel like I cannot see with the stock halogens of other cars.
That would be awesome man please post them up! I've been basing my opinions on the pics in this thread pretty much, and so far I'm not pumped about the appearance, so pics and a short description of your current set up would be very appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Bump for all the people who said they were posting pics....
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Epic fail to you retro'd 5th genners!! No pics = BOOO!!

Anyways, my buddy gave me the go-ahead to do some fitment testing on his 5.5 lights (mine got sent back).

Here come the pics.

Old Fitment at the side/corner, note gap and bulgy corner.:

Old fitment at front - front corner, note big gap:

New Fitment at side/corner, note no gap, and MUCH smoother corner transition

New Fitment at Front - Front corner, note very little gap (I'll be correcting it more by readjusting the bumper, there will be NO gap when I'm finished):

New Fitment at hoodline and bottom bumper line, I didn't have a 'before' pic, but it used to bulge out from the hood and there was no 'ledge' on the bumper, basically the whole headlight was forward about 1/4" from where it is now:

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-14-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM

And just a couple more pics, cause everyone loves pics

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM

You 5th genners certainly love our 5.5 headlights.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Hey Tuner how did you get it to fit so smooth i have the 5.5 headlights also with the gap what was your procedure?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Sigh...I was really looking forward to a nice retrofit write up
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tmax156
Hey Tuner how did you get it to fit so smooth i have the 5.5 headlights also with the gap what was your procedure?
PayPal me $10 and I'll tell you

Just kidding, I removed the lower clips and put the light where I wanted it, then dremelled out the plastic so it mounts farther back.

You also need to use a washer or something because the inside plastic mount bends a bit in it's new location. Otherwise it will pull back up (the gap at the front corner). I will be doing further mods to get it even better, involving a heat gun on the brackets to modify the mounting angles.
I have a better couple pics of the washer/etc, but they won't load for some reason. Either way I'm changing that set up a bit later.

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Sigh...I was really looking forward to a nice retrofit write up
Sorry dude, may still happen, who knows. Everyone bailed on getting me good pictures. Would YOU have done a retro based on the pictures you see in this thread???
Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 PM

You 5th genners certainly love our 5.5 headlights.
You 5.5ers sure do love our tail lights
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Sorry Tmax, still don't have my proj's on the car
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM

great thread! tons of useful information in here. i have been contemplating which way to go on this. i have 2007+ lexus is complete headlights and one tsx headlight to work with. current setup-oem's blackened housings :/
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
You beat me to it

Sorry Tmax, still don't have my proj's on the car
Just remember to post up when you do, at the very least this should be a good reference thread for folks like buddy below.

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
great thread! tons of useful information in here. i have been contemplating which way to go on this. i have 2007+ lexus is complete headlights and one tsx headlight to work with. current setup-oem's blackened housings :/
Let us know what you figure out! Sound's like you've got decisions ahead too!.

I never really bothered to post it, (I guess I just ASSumed it would be understood), my modification requires re-aiming of the headlights. Most guys know you have to aim headlights any time they're removed, and especially when you swap 5.5 lights in. I'm finding a lot of guys don't bother with this step. That is a mistake. ALWAYS aim your headlights after removal, even a mm out at the headlight can mean the difference between lighting up the road properly and blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM

Hm Tuner I might have still gone the retro route because for me function > form but for others its not
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM

I wanted the look, yeah. Of course I wanted function too, the stock headlights were sufficient for me as they were, so the 5.5 lights are already a bonus. Projectors are obviously a big step up from stock Xenons as far as light output/pattern, but I'm happy with the output as is.

And should I decide I really want Projectors, I can always put them in one of the headlight sets Although I doubt that will happen. We still need pics of some Retros!!

I can't justify making my car look like crap just for a bit of additional/better light output. Unless the idea is to blind anyone trying to look?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Honestly?

I like the '02/'03 SE tails on my car.

I think it's because I have a white car, though...so the chrome altezza style doesn't look quite as obvious and loud as it does on other colors...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Honestly?

I think it's because I have a white car, though...so the chrome altezza style doesn't look quite as obvious and loud as it does on other colors...
+1
Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Honestly?

I thought the 2002 SE tails and the 2003 SE tails were different?

I agree, the 'altezza' style are just silly looking IMO. The reference was made that most guys seem to prefer 2000/2001 Tailights over the 2002/2003 lights.
Same as most 5th genners like the 5.5 front end

I think we really got the short end of the stick (2000/2001), there were so many options introduced in 2002 it's a landslide decision on which year to buy, if you could choose.

I'll soon have most of the visual goodies from the 5.5 while keeping all the good visuals with the 5th gen. Best of both worlds

Wish I had the time/money for the 3.5 with a 6 speed though.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 AM

The ones you got now looks good on the car....but your cash....only you know what you like....Good Luck if you decide to retrofit.....
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
The ones you got now looks good on the car....but your cash....only you know what you like....Good Luck if you decide to retrofit.....
I have a guy who knows a guy that works at the wreckers, he's been holding a set of headlights for me. I'm just waiting for my refund to clear for the other ones, then I'm going to get 'em.

I'm trying to find some different options for blacking them out though, I don't want it overpowering, don't want EVERYTHING black.

If you have a good link in your 'Favorites' or any good pics of a couple options please post them up. I'll post a couple options if I can find decent close-ups.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM

I'll take the slight downgrade in looks to be able to do this

Soon as my funds come through I'm pulling the trigger on my retro
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM

That's just freaking spectacular. Any idea what set up that is?

Man you really want me to change my mind don't you You're doing a good job of co-ercing me
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM

That's just freaking spectacular. Any idea what set up that is?

Man you really want me to change my mind don't you You're doing a good job of co-ercing me
I believe thats an fxr setup boosted on 50 watt ballasts
I think I'm going with e55 bixenons in my high beam for now since they have a spectacular high beam and are cheap. Then probably s2k-r's when they are released in the low beam.

Here's some quad fxr all on 35 watt ballasts ****

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
I'll take the slight downgrade in looks to be able to do this
Don't be fooled, exposure was turned way up for that pic but FX-R's are nice as hell. I've seen just one with 50W outshine two TSX's with 50W's. Plus they're pretty affordable as well.

Tuner, just do a damn retro already.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Honestly?

Good point

I thought the 2002 SE tails and the 2003 SE tails were different?

I agree, the 'altezza' style are just silly looking IMO. The reference was made that most guys seem to prefer 2000/2001 Tailights over the 2002/2003 lights.
Same as most 5th genners like the 5.5 front end

I think we really got the short end of the stick (2000/2001), there were so many options introduced in 2002 it's a landslide decision on which year to buy, if you could choose.

I'll soon have most of the visual goodies from the 5.5 while keeping all the good visuals with the 5th gen. Best of both worlds

Wish I had the time/money for the 3.5 with a 6 speed though.
Well said

You beat me to it

Just remember to post up when you do, at the very least this should be a good reference thread for folks like buddy below.
You got it. I wish I had them on now, all the pics posted are really making me miss them.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Well I am sold on the FX-R's now I wish there was a comparison of a 35 vs 50 watt.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by ctsmith39
Well I am sold on the FX-R's now I wish there was a comparison of a 35 vs 50 watt.
The price difference between 35 and 50 is so small, I'd just advise going with 50. My 50W fogs are very noticeably brighter than the other 5.5 here with 35W fogs.

Quick Reply: Headlights, Headlights...Retro/Ebay/5.5 Step in Gentlemen.