5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlights, Headlights...Retro/Ebay/5.5 Step in Gentlemen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Don't jinx the clear side markers! I don't want them!
but I had the same feeling... that after doing the headlights I may need to get them....
I don't like the amber in the headlight though, it is way too close to the amber bumper light, too much amber in one location.

Either way, I have decided to leave the paint work as is. If I decide I don't like it later, I will take them back apart and paint again. For now, I"m going to stick with the paint scheme I have.

Oh, and regarding the gap when removing the amber lens, I've got a decent fix, the gap is so evident because it's grey/chrome. I just painted the lip on the inside about 1/2"

Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Slightly confused Tuner. You don't want to go with the malibu clear lens?

Also not sure if you've taken a look at this thread which sheds some light sorta to the colored bulbs situation.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...a-housing.html
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
You going to polish those lenses while they're separated?
Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Is that a serious question
Yes. (Yes?)

Most of the pics of your progress are really good, and they showcase the progress very well. It's really detailed work, which I think anybody who's been following your mods has come to expect.

But all the shots that have the lens back on look washed out. So either the lighting is wrong on all of them, or your lenses are uniformly faded. And maybe you already commented about needing to polish the lenses, but I missed it somewhere in the gazillion posts you've written. IDK.

Just asking, Matt.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Don't jinx the clear side markers! I don't want them! but I had the same feeling... that after doing the headlights I may need to get them....

I don't like the amber in the headlight though, it is way too close to the amber bumper light, too much amber in one location.
I never considered replacing the side-marker lenses until discovering the Org. And even then, it seemed like such a follow-the-herd kind of visual mod. But a month ago Perkman had this excellent photo of his rear markers (on the Maxima he just sold), and it really intrigued me. So I bought a set of DEPO smoked markers. Which really only have a hint of smoke, which I like.

I'm using amber filament bulbs up front, and red refractor LED bulbs in the rear. And I have to say, at night it looks absolutely beautiful and totally normal: all lit up in amber and red. And when unlit, there is a much more uniform appearance, what with my 2003 Maxima being Sheer Silver.

So here's where my rambling assessment is going: the stark amber and red of the OEM marker lenses create a color contrast in the profile. Things are *softer* without them, allowing for better appreciation of the lines on the car. And when lit, the red in the taillights dovetail (no pun) well into the rear markers, and the amber LED's in my parking lights dovetail well into the front markers. It looks really good on my car. To me and my over-analyzed sense of design.

But your car is white, which changes everything. White is a good backdrop for splashes of color, where the contrast is intentionally appealing instead of conflicting. So... for your car, I'd recommend clear side-markers that were gently tinted amber and red.

It's just another idea, and maybe a unique one... which are the kind you like.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Turbo'd Saab

An old member on here Retrofit'd 5.5s

I'm gonna try and find better pictures

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 04-02-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Slightly confused Tuner. You don't want to go with the malibu clear lens?

Also not sure if you've taken a look at this thread which sheds some light sorta to the colored bulbs situation.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...a-housing.html
I'm not sure which 'clear out' I want to use. The malibu lens allows me to install whatever bulb I want in behind because you won't see it....
And for some reason I like the conical look of 'no lens'.

It's a tough call. I think I'm going to pic up a set of the malibu lenses. It's hard to judge because I can't fully install the headlight lenses to gauge the final appearance.

I like what you two did with the switchback LEDs. I wouldn't do it ~ from a safety standpoint ~ but I like the creativity.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I have cleared out corners on my car

SEE

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 AM

Yes. (Yes?)

Most of the pics of your progress are really good, and they showcase the progress very well. It's really detailed work, which I think anybody who's been following your mods has come to expect.

But all the shots that have the lens back on look washed out. So either the lighting is wrong on all of them, or your lenses are uniformly faded. And maybe you already commented about needing to polish the lenses, but I missed it somewhere in the gazillion posts you've written. IDK.

Just asking, Matt.
Sorry, I actually didn't say anything about it. I polished the lenses from the outside a few times, and if you see the pics when 'installed' outside, they don't look bad at all. The lighting (or lack there-of) in my basement brings out the cloudyness and scratches in them in those pictures.

Either way, I may try polishing them from the inside, and trying to get the outside better as well, I hope that it will make a difference. The hard part to swallow is when you polish headlights, its very hard to EVER get the protective finish back on.
The 'finish' that goes on with the 'kit' wears off over time, causing the lenses to fade out again in a year usually. If I polish off the stock coating on the INSIDE, then when they fade, I would have to remove the headlight lenses to clean them.

At least I can polish the outside again easily when it fades out.

So to answer the question instead of being a sarcastic ***** like I was , I will be polishing the outside again, and I might try to leave the inside alone.

I really, really wish they made replacement lenses for the headlights.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-02-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 AM

I never considered replacing the side-marker lenses until discovering the Org. And even then, it seemed like such a follow-the-herd kind of visual mod. But a month ago Perkman had this excellent photo of his rear markers (on the Maxima he just sold), and it really intrigued me. So I bought a set of DEPO smoked markers. Which really only have a hint of smoke, which I like.

I'm using amber filament bulbs up front, and red refractor LED bulbs in the rear. And I have to say, at night it looks absolutely beautiful and totally normal: all lit up in amber and red. And when unlit, there is a much more uniform appearance, what with my 2003 Maxima being Sheer Silver.

So here's where my rambling assessment is going: the stark amber and red of the OEM marker lenses create a color contrast in the profile. Things are *softer* without them, allowing for better appreciation of the lines on the car. And when lit, the red in the taillights dovetail (no pun) well into the rear markers, and the amber LED's in my parking lights dovetail well into the front markers. It looks really good on my car. To me and my over-analyzed sense of design.

But your car is white, which changes everything. White is a good backdrop for splashes of color, where the contrast is intentionally appealing instead of conflicting. So... for your car, I'd recommend clear side-markers that were gently tinted amber and red.

It's just another idea, and maybe a unique one... which are the kind you like.
I absolutely love how you and I analyze the living crap out of everything

I like your thoughts on this John, you've got me thinking. For the time being, they stay as they are. The partial tint idea is a unique idea, but unfortunately not a real life tangible one, at least, I don't think.
The inherent issue is, 'dim' or 'light' Red, is actually pink, or close to it (salmon, for the metrosexuals in the room?)

Same goes for the front, except instead of amber/orange, you would end up with more of a Yellow.

It's a good thought none-the-less. Would you like to post your nighttime/daytime shots?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
An old member on here Retrofit'd 5.5s
That's hideous.

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
I have cleared out corners on my car
I like that Drunkie, looks nice, although I cant imagine the red is the most legal idea. Still looks sharp.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM

I absolutely love how you and I analyze the living crap out of everything
It's a curse. And sometimes it's a shock when you realize the trees are actually in a forest.

The partial tint idea is a unique idea, but unfortunately not a real life tangible one, at least, I don't think.
I don't know enough about tinting with spray, but I know the process exists.

The inherent issue is, 'dim' or 'light' Red, is actually pink, or close to it (salmon, for the metrosexuals in the room?) Same goes for the front, except instead of amber/orange, you would end up with more of a Yellow.
The amber, filament bulbs up front look amber, not yellow. Ditto for LED's, but I like the uniform dispersion of the filament bulb better than the pinprick sharpness of the LED's.

In the back, red filament bulbs certainly do look pink, which is why I bought some red LED's, configured as refractor caps. Go research and you'll figure out what I mean. These look nicely red.

It's a good thought none-the-less. Would you like to post your nighttime/daytime shots?
No rear pictures yet. But here are the fronts. Note how uniform everything looks unlit. Then when lit, the amber markers totally work with the amber parking lights (which are amber LED's.)

You should see them at night, when the front side markers blink in alternating sequence to the turn-signals. It's very cool.

Simple, simple mod for a wiring guy like you. For me, not so much, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-02-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM

I don't know enough about tinting with spray, but I know the process exists.

The amber, filament bulbs up front look amber, not yellow. Ditto for LED's, but I like the uniform dispersion of the filament bulb better than the pinprick sharpness of the LED's.

In the back, red filament bulbs certainly do look pink, which is why I bought some red LED's, configured as refractor caps. Go research and you'll figure out what I mean. These look nicely red.
One of us is misunderstanding the other. I thought you were saying to tint the LENS a light red, and light amber.

The visual aspect I was referring to in ^This case was the lenses appearance during the daytime. Night time appearance would be dependant on the bulbs as you mentioned.

No rear pictures yet. But here are the fronts. Note how uniform everything looks unlit. Then when lit, the amber markers totally work with the amber parking lights (which are amber LED's.)

You should see them at night, when the front side markers blink in alternating sequence to the turn-signals. It's very cool.

Simple, simple mod for a wiring guy like you. For me, not so much, LOL.
Independant fogs and this alternating blinker are on my list. I'm trying to do some of the more complicated stuff while I'm off work (only one more month )
Then I'll do some of this quick stuff as I get time.

I like the look of your side marker there, as you said though, I don't know about that look on pearl white, might be something to try if I can find someone who wants to swap for a bit, I won't buy them though.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM

After linking another member to this because he's trying to decide what to do with his headlights, I realized, I never posted what I ended up doing!

So here it is:

I decided to try a few things differently when going about this modification. Most guys just black everything out, some save the chrome rings.

Me? I have to do everything the tedious, and hard way just to be different.

Disassembly:

Stock appearance check:

Decided to paint only the `v` portion of the main pods

I thought about leaving it like this, but decided against it, I made my decision to black out a few other portions, here`s the fancy taping:

And ready for paint:

Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM

And completed, installed shots. You'll notice the plan I had seems to have worked out fairly well. The plan was to paint pretty much everything you see looking straight on the same colour as the grill (satin black). Then leaving the components you see from the side OE silver.
The result is a headlight that matches the rims when viewed from the side, and looks blacked out completely & matching Grill when viewed from the front.
You'll notice I left the edging silver too, something that is deleted with a full black out, but is a very nice styling cue. It sets it off quite nicely and ties in the hood and bumper lines, as well as the headlight shape.

I also installed the Malibu Clear Lenses while I had them apart.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 05-05-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Flawless. Perfectly stock to the untrained eye, and yet balanced and entirely unique to someone who knows what they're looking at.

Well done, Tuner. Modify that 3.0 for some added power, detail your engine bay, and that car could be MOTM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Hmmm... why do I like this pic so much?

I know why...

I still need to take some better pics after a nice wash though... One day.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks for posting this, great comparison pictures of the differences. I keep forgetting that I did something so custom with that grill, and now the headlights, at a glance it just looks stock to me, but after seeing your picture I got some whiplash ~
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks for posting this, great comparison pictures of the differences. I keep forgetting that I did something so custom with that grill, and now the headlights, at a glance it just looks stock to me, but after seeing your picture I got some whiplash ~
That's my favorite kind of mod; subtle changes that only you and a few enthusiasts notice. Hell, I don't think my wife can even tell what I've done to it (besides tint), but then again most of it was done before we got married... you know how that goes.