5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is the NWP intake manifold Kit worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thank you slick5spd for all your useful input to this thread. I think I've decided to not buy the spacer kit, in fact what the hell am I doing! This is a Maxima enthusiast website? How did I get here? Wait!! What?! I drive Maxima? Are you freaking kidding me!!! I can't believe I've spent all this money on this car! How do I get out of this nightmare? Oh that's right I meant to be here.

So the real question is, why are you here? Go drive your sports car and let the mechanic care for your Maxima.

Thread closed. (If only I had the power)

Last edited by hacim105; 04-01-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Haha you guys deserve a South Park episode or something. Did I ever ONCE say the Maxima was a bad car? No. Reading comprehension is key. However, for now I will accept your half hearted sarcasm and let things be. And really, my opinion counts just as much or as little as everyone else's on this site. Take it how you want it. I just happen to think money that you are spending on modifications could perhaps be better spent on a lady friend, or gas finding one.

Last edited by slick5spd; 04-01-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
...that snorkle does nothing but impede airflow, unless it's sealed and attatched to the intake, which would cause vacuum. Without that, it's just in the way.
It seems that way to me, too. Although I'd be more comfortable repeating that assessment if there were a good analysis that could back it up. Right now, it just feels like conventional wisdom, which won't even buy a cup of coffee. Still, nice to see you're thinking along the same lines, Tuner.

I remember my first post here, something about why are Maxima brakes so bad. My only saving grace was posting that blanket nonsense where it belongs, in the "I am new here but have a question" thread. I also remember getting newbie butt-sore with SoonerFan, over and over and over again, until learning how the Org works. Yeah man, good times.

Originally Posted by slick5spd
I just happen to think money that you are spending on modifications could perhaps be better spent on a lady friend, or gas finding one.
Just like ridicule, credit is due when it's deserved. That's an awesome line.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Some of you take the forums way to seriously. You're not really saving the world by messing with newbies on the net. Or driving a fake sports car.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM

W/e you win only because I don't know how to post pics
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Take it how you want it. I just happen to think money that you are spending on modifications could perhaps be better spent on a lady friend, or gas finding one.
Are you actually suggesting that a Woman is a better investment for your hard earned dollars?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester

Just like ridicule, credit is due when it's deserved. That's an awesome line.
I agree. I LOL'd
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Point? Shut up and go join the Civic Nation if you don't want to play here.
I would, but:

1.) I don't, nor will I ever, own a Civic.

2.) No replacement for displacement.

3.) Ricing out a car is ricing out a car, regardless if it's a Maxima or a Civic.

Not to say all modified Maxima's are riced out, but I have seen a good deal on here. The first one that comes to mind is that one with the weird *** paint job and all that pep boys stuff (It was for sale on in the garage and you guys made a thread about it a few days back)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM

I would, but:

3.) Ricing out a car is ricing out a car, regardless if it's a Maxima or a Civic.

Not to say all modified Maxima's are riced out, but I have seen a good deal on here. The first one that comes to mind is that one with the weird *** paint job and all that pep boys stuff (It was for sale on in the garage and you guys made a thread about it a few days back)

If you're not into it then that's perfectly fine (it really is). But on a Maxima forum what did you really expect? (I'm literally asking honestly)

It's like going to a swimming pool and saying "I don't understand all you pool-lovers out here, if you want real water go to the beach."

I only recently got a cattman y/catback b/c my stock exhaust was rusting through, my Max is my daily-driver. With that said, I'm most likely going to get a NWP spacer.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

It certainly seems like a fact to me. Let's see, this is a 5th generation Maxima. Nissan is currently pushing the 7th generation Maxima. So yes, the 5th generation Maxima is outdated. Unless the car is very heavily modified, it is still FWD. And lastly, it is a sedan, with four doors. So tell me, how is that opinion? It isn't. What is the opposite of opinion? Fact. I guess you do learn new things every day huh? It still seems like you have a lot to learn about your own car.
Well let's use a little logic here. Would you consider a mustang a sports car? How about a 350z?

With just boltons and no internal or headwork, my car has run faster than every naturally aspirated 350z known on the my350z forums except one. That one happens to be a full NA build.

On my last trip to the track, there was a mustang club there. One of them had a 04 full bolton bullitt, another a 1998 GT full boltons and supercharged, another a brand new 2011 5.0 with a tune. Low and behold, I beat all of their times with a bolton maxima.

Just because it has 4 doors and front wheel drive doesn't preclude it from being quick. I could have spent more money buying a 04 bullit and doing full boltons on it and it still would have been slower, but at least then you might have approved of its sports car worthiness.

I would, but:

I completely agree with you on no replacement for displacement, but there are many situations where it does not apply simply as stated. Just look at those 2.4L V8s used in F1 for an example. Sure, if they went up in displacement it would make more power, but having displacement alone is not a ticket for power. In that case, I could reference you to all the POS 300ci+ V8s in various american cars that didn't even make over 200 hp.

I guess bringing up the 350+whp naturally aspirated 2.0-2.4 liters with which civics are running 10s down the 1/4 mile would make sense here. It takes serious work to run 10s NA even with a 5.7L LS1 car and the honda guys are doing it with less than half of the displacement.

Again, it may not seem practical to mod a maxima, but some people have made that choice because they enjoy it. Who are you to infer that they are stupid?

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-01-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM

I would like to just drop in and say that.. umm... I may be selling some brand new nwp spacers for a 3.5 soon... the box is still unopened.. look out for a thread soon!

please continue...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Again, it may not seem practical to mod a maxima, but some people have made that choice because they enjoy it. Who are you to call them stupid?
Just to head this off, Sparks. Someone fishing for their 15th post is going to want to highlight this one line as inaccurate, because the rest of what you said makes sense. So let's just amend it with, "Who are you to infer that they are stupid?"

There. All fixed. And no harm done.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Just to head this off, Sparks. Someone fishing for their 15th post is going to want to highlight this one line as inaccurate, because the rest of what you said makes sense. So let's just amend it with, "Who are you to infer that they are stupid?"

There. All fixed. And no harm done.
You are right, it was inferred rather than said out loud... good catch.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Get Off My Lawn

:-) I love this forum!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I guess bringing up the 350+whp naturally aspirated 2.0-2.4 liters with which civics are running 10s down the 1/4 mile would make sense here. It takes serious work to run 10s NA even with a 5.7L LS1 car and the honda guys are doing it with less than half of the displacement.
Just to add to this,

Power to Weight is much more important than displacement.

The bull-headed 'no replacement for displacement' is one that 40+ year olds love to use, normally over a few greasy beers.

This is 2011, that saying is ANCIENT for a reason, it just doesn't resonate like it used to. That argument is still around though, and we certainly don't want to get into it here.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Just to add to this,

Power to Weight is much more important than displacement.

The bull-headed 'no replacement for displacement' is one that 40+ year olds love to use, normally over a few greasy beers.

This is 2011, that saying is ANCIENT for a reason, it just doesn't resonate like it used to. That argument is still around though, and we certainly don't want to get into it here.
Don't get me wrong, displacement remains a very important factor. If I were able, I would certainly stroke/bore this engine to 4.2L. However just because it's not 7L doesn't mean it can't make power.

Displacement does matter, but the difference now is that technology matters just as much.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Getting a little crazy here...people just like the style of the Maxima and the power is not that bad and like seeing peoples faces like WTF JUST HAPPEN I SHOULD OF EASILY TAKEN HIM.....
Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, displacement remains a very important factor. If I were able, I would certainly stroke/bore this engine to 4.2L. However just because it's not 7L doesn't mean it can't make power.

Displacement does matter, but the difference now is that technology matters just as much.
Agreed, but I'd say technology > displacement.

The point being, the saying just isn't true anymore. There are plenty of replacements for displacement
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Agreed, but I'd say technology > displacement.

The point being, the saying just isn't true anymore. There are plenty of replacements for displacement
The reason that the saying is still valid is because you can take that engine with the "replacements for displacement" on it, increase displacement and gain even more power. Look at the new 5.0s... running 10s@125+ with just a few boltons and tune. In this case, both technology and higher displacement were used

edit: yet another dumb argument with tunermax, who'd have guessed
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67

If you're not into it then that's perfectly fine (it really is). But on a Maxima forum what did you really expect? (I'm literally asking honestly)

It's like going to a swimming pool and saying "I don't understand all you pool-lovers out here, if you want real water go to the beach."
Ok I'll agree with that but you guys are also blowing this out of proportion. It's not like I'm starting a thread to diss the Maxima. I simply voiced my opinions, and I guess got the typical newb treatment which is fine, and that's that. I don't see the point in modding a Maxima. You guys can do it, go for it. I'm probably going to try out somethings to make my ride a little smoother. I'm not insulting you guys. If you take offense by my opinions, especially when I'm backing them up with some real ****, then that's your problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM

The reason that the saying is still valid is because you can take that engine with the "replacements for displacement" on it, increase displacement and gain even more power. Look at the new 5.0s... running 10s@125+ with just a few boltons and tune. In this case, both technology and higher displacement were used

edit: yet another dumb argument with tunermax, who'd have guessed
Exactly. You can throw a turbo on a four or six cylinder, and say it's faster than a car with bigger displacement, and you really might be faster. But compare apples to apples folks. The potential gains for higher displacement engines are considerably higher than engines with a low displacement. Why do you think you don't see 4 cylinder Lamborghinis and Bugattis? They are unarguably some of the best sports cars around, and they use high displacement engines for a reason. Simply put, 4 and 6 cylinder cars are not ideal sports cars. Thus concludes the one and only point I was trying to make. You can argue all you want but those are the facts and you cannot change that.

Edit: I was not just fishing for 15 posts, I tried dropping it, it got dragged on. And I never meant to even infer that any of you are stupid. Any way I'm at 17 posts now, no threads posted. No "which CAI should I buy" or "best exhaust" or any of the usual crap.

Last edited by slick5spd; 04-01-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Ok I'll agree with that but you guys are also blowing this out of proportion. It's not like I'm starting a thread to diss the Maxima. I simply voiced my opinions, and I guess got the typical newb treatment which is fine, and that's that. I don't see the point in modding a Maxima. You guys can do it, go for it. I'm probably going to try out somethings to make my ride a little smoother. I'm not insulting you guys. If you take offense by my opinions, especially when I'm backing them up with some real ****, then that's your problem.
Just a reminder of your entry into this thread.

I don't get why you guys are modding these things. I do get the handling and what not but why HP? Why not get a sports car instead of blowing money on mods? And everyone knows that its torque that matters...
This statement comes across as quite judgmental. Add the fact that you came into a thread that had nothing to do with you so that you could insinuate that we are dumb for modding. Tie it up by making yourself look dumb with the old "torque is all that matters" statement... and you're presenting yourself as quite a douche. If that isn't what you meant, then that's your problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM

So, Yeah the spacers...A great mod, good bang for the buck with no drawbacks.

Slick, Leave yours bone stock, if you don't get it...you don't get it.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Exactly. You can throw a turbo on a four or six cylinder, and say it's faster than a car with bigger displacement, and you really might be faster. But compare apples to apples folks. The potential gains for higher displacement engines are considerably higher than engines with a low displacement. Why do you think you don't see 4 cylinder Lamborghinis and Bugattis? They are unarguably some of the best sports cars around, and they use high displacement engines for a reason. Simply put, 4 and 6 cylinder cars are not ideal sports cars. Thus concludes the one and only point I was trying to make. You can argue all you want but those are the facts and you cannot change that.
You select this post to agree with right after my argument that 4 and 6 cylinder cars can be effective sports cars. w/e I guess... Your type is common, I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm sorry what's the fastest car out there?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM

You know what **** it just ban me this forum is full of the biggest ********. Now I AM saying that you are all retarded. Keep living your lies and keep thinking you have fast cars. That's fine by me.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Before I answer this question, you should probably remember a few things. One, you're on a maxima forum where you will inevitably meet enthusiasts who enjoy racing their maxima. Two, if every single person who wanted a fast car always bought only the fastest car, there would only be that one car at every race track/drag strip. Three, people will race what they enjoy, not what you think they should enjoy.

I enjoy racing my maxima not because it's the absolute most optimal platform, but because it's enjoyable to me. It's quick for what it is and the look of surprise on people's faces at my car running 12s NA is a lot more enjoyable than watching them shrug and walk by the inevitable 10 second vette sitting a few cars away from me.

Seriously, are you done trolling here yet? You did manage to get your 15 posts.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

You know what **** it just ban me this forum is full of the biggest ********. Now I AM saying that you are all retarded. Keep living your lies and keep thinking you have fast cars. That's fine by me.

.Org FTW
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Says the douche who insulted the ******** because they didn't adhere to his standards.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Says the douche who insulted the ******** because they didn't adhere to your standards.
It's not at all because you didn't adhere to my standards. You started insulting me first. You are a ****ing ***** and if I met you I would probably punch you in the face.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM

It's not at all because you didn't adhere to my standards. You started insulting me first. You are a ****ing ***** and if I met you I would probably punch you in the face.
Is that right? You weren't the one who came in here arguing with everyone about how stupid it is for us to mod maximas?

Oh no, physical threats on an internet forum... Please don't punch me, big man, I'm fragile.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-01-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM

In this thread? In this forum? As far as NA Maxima's go, that would be Sparks. The man knows his Maxima. And I see you two have met.

Just keep swimming.... just keep swimming...

Nice! An indisputably direct and personal threat! You sure don't see that everyday. I just didn't think we'd get to butt-sore so quickly and violently. But you never really know about the other driver, do you?

And now, the popcorn.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Some of you take the forums way to seriously. You're not really saving the world by messing with newbies on the net. Or driving a fake sports car.
somebody got in their feelings, fake sports car ..... knock off huh ...... ever think maybe you are taking this place too serious??? it happened to everybody but you are showing your sensitivity by letting the keyboard n monitor get to you bro... i had to go through it also, stop being such a puss, you give us all reason to continue to mess with newbies
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Is that right? You weren't the one who came in here arguing about how stupid it is for us to mod maximas?

Oh no, physical threats on an internet forum... I'm so afraid.
Well frankly it is stupid. You say everyone can't have the fastest car. I agree with you. So what are like the top 10 fastest cars? If you are arguing that your car is fast because you say it is fast, but fast compared to what? A civic? Cool, you beat a civic. But hey, I'm not the one wasting money on it. I already told you to resume the pointless modding. And it is pointless because if you are modding to win races, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. You all fell for the 4DSC bull****. Look at the new scion commercials, you guys must think those are fast too. Sure, if you are racing a bunch of other bottom of the line cars you might win. But that's not much to brag about.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
ever think maybe you are taking this place too serious??? it happened to everybody but you are showing your sensitivity by letting the keyboard n monitor get to you bro... i had to go through it also, stop being such a puss, you give us all reason to continue to mess with newbies
Nail on the head, hustle... This guy is too easy.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

More MOAR ! I don't normally get into this kind of thing but man, you are hilarious.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
somebody got in their feelings, fake sports car ..... knock off huh ...... ever think maybe you are taking this place too serious??? it happened to everybody but you are showing your sensitivity by letting the keyboard n monitor get to you bro... i had to go through it also, stop being such a puss, you give us all reason to continue to mess with newbies
It's bull**** either way other sites don't treat new people like complete **** just because they were new. I bet if one of you 10,000+ post ****** said what I said it would be taken more seriously.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Well frankly it is stupid. You say everyone can't have the fastest car. I agree with you. So what are like the top 10 fastest cars? If you are arguing that your car is fast because you say it is fast, but fast compared to what? A civic? Cool, you beat a civic. But hey, I'm not the one wasting money on it. I already told you to resume the pointless modding. And it is pointless because if you are modding to win races, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. You all fell for the 4DSC bull****. Look at the new scion commercials, you guys must think those are fast too. Sure, if you are racing a bunch of other bottom of the line cars you might win. But that's not much to brag about.
fast is relative so lets not get into BS and try to compare a maxima to something random.... if so the only "fast" car is the Red bull F1.... maxima's are fast, fast isnt compared to something faster or slower, just your opinion on whats fast or fast enough

Quick Reply: Is the NWP intake manifold Kit worth Buying?