5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is the NWP intake manifold Kit worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

Is the NWP intake manifold Kit worth Buying?

I'm thinking of buying the NWP Phenolic Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer Kit but doubting the gains? Do you guys think its worth buying?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 AM

Yes, search the threads and it should convince you to buy them
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM

Hell yeah dude! According to NWP, the spacers decrease the temparture of the IM and improve airflow. Check out their page I've seen some pretty convincing dyno sheets
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm not sure which car you have, but there is a "00" at the end of your name, so I assume you have a 2000. Read the threads about this. There is dicussion about gains being greater on the 3.5 engine than the older 3.0 due in part to the plastic intake. However, there have been proven gains in even the 3.0 engine. So, look what others are saying about their experiences on the 3.0 engine. But, IMO, in terms of the cost, this is certainly one of the best bang for the buck bolt on mods you can do for these cars.

I've never regretted a day that I installed these on my 3.5! Have gained a lot more enjoyment from the car since!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

when i do my rear VC i'm planning on installing one on my 5th...i guess then ill be able to give some butt dyno results
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Had mine for 1.5 years, and not a stitch of problems because of the spacers. On the 5.5 gen, Nissan should have done this right from the factory, IMO. There are other opinions on the 5.0 gen.

To your question... NWP has been selling this kit for a number of years now, so there's zero possibility that you've not already read glowing reviews about them. All of which makes this a lame thread, but a fair bump for a great product.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

This is certainly one of the cases where "search, noob" needs to be said. There is so much feedback on this subject floating around these forums that it's nearly impossible not to run across it without even searching for it.

Get friendly with the search function or use google to search this website individually and many questions like this can be answered without making a new thread.

NWP spacers = great investment for any 5.5 owner.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I'm not sure which car you have, but there is a "00" at the end of your name, so I assume you have a 2000. Read the threads about this. There is dicussion about gains being greater on the 3.5 engine than the older 3.0 due in part to the plastic intake. However, there have been proven gains in even the 3.0 engine. So, look what others are saying about their experiences on the 3.0 engine. But, IMO, in terms of the cost, this is certainly one of the best bang for the buck bolt on mods you can do for these cars.

I've never regretted a day that I installed these on my 3.5! Have gained a lot more enjoyment from the car since!
Best buck spent on this thing don't know about the 00 and 01 but 02 and 03 is a must.....
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

From a financial : performance standpoint, nothing is "worth" buying for a Maxima.

So, use your own "standpoint", as 99.9995% of us have.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Im still curious as to the gains of the spacers for the DE-k. If you want felt gains for CHEAP, delete VIAS and the power rod and run a BOP. Im assuming you have a DE-k since your name is "killer00"
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Im still curious as to the gains of the spacers for the DE-k. If you want felt gains for CHEAP, delete the power rod. Im assuming you have a DE-k since your name is "killer00"
FTFY.

You don't need a block off plate if you are pulling the power rod on a de-k manifold.

If you didn't emphasize cheap I would have let it slide.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 03-31-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
From a financial : performance standpoint, nothing is "worth" buying for a Maxima.

That's just well said right thur.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Nmex for mod..oh wait!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
FTFY.

You don't need a block off plate if you are pulling the power rod on a de-k manifold.

If you didn't emphasize cheap I would have let it slide.
True. I ran it gutted with the VIAS box. Theres a slight hiccup between 2-3k on accel. But with the BOP, it cured idle issues and the hiccup making the powerband a bit smoother.

And hey, a BOP isnt that expensive. Lets say give or take $30 for a BOP for a peak 8-10 whp gain (untuned), Id say its a pretty cheap mod!

EDIT: well yeah, you can just remove the rod for free
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

I've been seriously considering them, but my main concern is getting the intake off the next time I want to change plugs. I've got a new valve cover sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, so I need to decide soon.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 PM

im with this guy, and mine are being installed tomorrow morning
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 PM

Theyll do well for you 3.5 guys. Im still interested in a dyno for gains on a DE-k
Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM

I can't imagine major gains on the DE-K, if anything it would be seen in low RPM range correct? Main effect would be lenthening IM runners, not so much changing temperature.

Love to see some actual numbers on it though, if it's more than 2-4 WHP it's worth considering, especially for those trying to grab every N/A pony they can get.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Sorry for being so lame but I just needed some more answers for support. I have a 2002. So it seems I'm going to get them.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

I try and be truthful, I have spent an unGodly amount on both my 95 & 03, and well, honestly, every mod was worth it, but had I owned a Corvette, the $$ spent would probably have netted me over 120whp ...

But, IMO, it was all worth it ... even on an FWD Family sedan ...

(Many grammar errors there Roches....er ...John)
Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Many grammar errors there Roches....er ...John
That's why I love Firefox. It has an embedded spellcheck for textarea objects.

I also have no regrets for all the money I've dumped/spent on my family sedan. But for lessons-learned, I've come to realize handling-mods > power-mods. (So, yeah, I do have one regret, and that's not getting coilovers instead of Blues. Oh well.)

Even with that said, the Phenolic Intake Spacers are still the most worthy, cost-effective power-mod you can do for our cars. Some would say headers... but those come with a mess of other issues and compromises. The spacers, though, are a total win without any negatives.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
for lessons-learned, I've come to realize handling-mods > power-mods.
Especially on the Maxima, this is FACT. Get the power you already have to the ground better, all stock Maxima's have enough 'gusto' for most drivers, they just lose a lot in the path to the wheels.
And then teach that thing how to steer and turn like a car instead of a bus.

I wish we could reasonably fix the insane turning circle though, WTF were the engineers thinking when they said 'oh that's good enough', just brutal, one of my pet peeves with this car.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM

How are the HP gains explained with the NWP spacer kit?

Is it because the plastic spacer limits the heat conduction between the block and the intake manifold, therefore the IM is cooler > air cooler > more HP?

OR

Is it because the spacer increases the volume of air in the IM?

If it's mainly because of air temperature, wouldn't a short air intake defeat the purpose of the spacer kit because of heat soak?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM

I don't get why you guys are modding these things. I do get the handling and what not but why HP? Why not get a sports car instead of blowing money on mods? And everyone knows that its torque that matters...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
How are the HP gains explained with the NWP spacer kit?

Is it because the plastic spacer limits the heat conduction between the block and the intake manifold, therefore the IM is cooler > air cooler > more HP?

OR

Is it because the spacer increases the volume of air in the IM?

If it's mainly because of air temperature, wouldn't a short air intake defeat the purpose of the spacer kit because of heat soak?
It's basically that colder air is less dense than warmer air. With the spacers cooling the intake air by a claimed 40 degrees, this allows more air to be packed in(same principal as a CAI)- resulting in a a HP boost. Someone mention this should have been stock from Nissan and I completely agree.

They are well worth the money for the 3.5 guys but you will see a fraction of the results for the 3.doh!

I've had mine for months with no issues. Installation isn't bad at all (2-3hrs) and the price isn't too bad. If you have a 3.5-- DO IT.

In regards to the shorter intake, people buy them in droves but I am not a fan of sucking in gobs of warm engine bay air(I know they will net very minimal gains up top- more so with other mods). If you do get one- be sure to keep the stock snorkel so you get some cooler air in the engine bay. One thing I do love is the sound of a conical filter- it gives the engine some *****.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by slick5spd
I don't get why you guys are modding these things. I do get the handling and what not but why HP? Why not get a sports car instead of blowing money on mods? And everyone knows that its torque that matters...
While considering the merits of that wisdom (sic), ponder this: I'm sure there's more than one hobbie in your life that can be dismissed off-hand. Stamp collecting, maybe? Your jar of belly-button lint?

It's simple, really. You mod the car you have, and then you move on. Because otherwise, you're not doing anything with your car except using it as a tool.

Speaking of tools...

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Because it's fun and better for your body than coke

It's a quick, attractive car with lots of room and creature comforts and can be a real sleeper. I love overtaking other cars and getting the WTF look from other drivers in their newer and much more expensive European cars. Or the guys who buy the retro "muscle" cars.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
In regards to the shorter intake, people buy them in droves but I am not a fan of sucking in gobs of warm engine bay air(I know they will net very minimal gains up top- more so with other mods). If you do get one- be sure to keep the stock snorkel so you get some cooler air in the engine bay.
Speaking solely as a non-certified Armchair Engineer (), aren't those concerns about warm engine bay air negated as soon as you start moving?

As for the stock snorkel... without negative pressure as the only source of air to the intake, when coupled with a SRI it looks more of an impediment to air circulation than anything else. That, and it looks dumb.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 AM

While considering the merits of that wisdom (sic), ponder this: I'm sure there's more than one hobbie in your life that can be dismissed off-hand. Stamp collecting, maybe? Your jar of belly-button lint?

It's simple, really. You mod the car you have, and then you move on. Because otherwise, you're not doing anything with your car except using it as a tool.

Speaking of tools...
Okay so I'm a tool because I ask a simple question? I mod cars, but I mod cars that actually make sense to mod. I wasn't trying to diss you guys. Someone's a little sensitive. Mod your car all you want. I'm not stopping you.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Because it's fun and better for your body than coke

It's a quick, attractive car with lots of room and creature comforts and can be a real sleeper. I love overtaking other cars and getting the WTF look from other drivers in their newer and much more expensive European cars. Or the guys who buy the retro "muscle" cars.
At least someone can answer a question without being an *** hat.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Okay so I'm a tool because I ask a simple question? I mod cars, but I mod cars that actually make sense to mod. I wasn't trying to diss you guys. Someone's a little sensitive. Mod your car all you want. I'm not stopping you.
Meh. You're off-topic in another member's thread. (Such as it is.)

Of course you were dissing Maxima mods. Remember this line? "Blowing money on mods."

And your question wasn't simple, it was simplistic. Semantics > you.

You're going to do great things here, newbie. Welcome to the Org.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Meh. You're off-topic in another member's thread. (Such as it is.)

Of course you were dissing Maxima mods. Remember this line? "Blowing money on mods."

And you're question wasn't simple, it was simplistic. Semantics > you.

You're going to do great things here, newbie. Welcome to the Org.
I'm sorry for getting off topic. And I certainly didn't diss all Maxima mods. Remember how I said that I understand the suspension mods? But the fact is and will always remain that this is an outdated FWD family sedan. Does that mean it is a bad car? No. Does that mean that it doesn't really make sense to turn them into sport cars? Yes.

Thanks for such a warm welcome to the forum. Syke. And remember, real sports cars > fake ones.

Last edited by slick5spd; 04-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM

But the fact is and will always remain that this is an outdated FWD family sedan.
Like anything else, it can be modded into something more than it is with a little research, patience and money. Fortunately, there are a few online communities, and a few vendors, who support that objective for the Maxima. Take advantage of that, or not. It's available either way.

A "fact", you say? I guess there's something to be learned every day. Well, for some of us.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 AM

It certainly seems like a fact to me. Let's see, this is a 5th generation Maxima. Nissan is currently pushing the 7th generation Maxima. So yes, the 5th generation Maxima is outdated. Unless the car is very heavily modified, it is still FWD. And lastly, it is a sedan, with four doors. So tell me, how is that opinion? It isn't. What is the opposite of opinion? Fact. I guess you do learn new things every day huh? It still seems like you have a lot to learn about your own car.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM

ignore Rochester- he's crotchety old ***** LOL.

While I understand posting your own questions(this probably means you are close to buying and can't find the straight simple answer you are looking for), be wary that you will get the people telling you to search the forums instead of posting a thread.

People will complain and post holier than thou replies because it's just what happens on the interwebs- people get attitudes and I know I am guilty of it on numerous occasions.

A lot of people forget that this is supposed to be an information forum for people that love Maximas, not a soapbox to look "cool" or feel relevant in internet land.

Keep the fun jappery in the GHustle or OBX loop muffler thread- this guy just had a question, no need to get on his case.

Summary of this long winded post- if you have a 3.5- get the spacers, if you have a 3.0- you will get a very modest HP increase

Edit- this car is not outdated, it holds up well even into today's day and age when so many cars went on a double cheeseburger diet. I think they actually got it right and I will defend that til my cars last breath.

Last edited by 95VQ30; 04-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM

It certainly seems like a fact to me. Let's see, this is a 5th generation Maxima. Nissan is currently pushing the 7th generation Maxima. So yes, the 5th generation Maxima is outdated. Unless the car is very heavily modified, it is still FWD. And lastly, it is a sedan, with four doors. So tell me, how is that opinion? It isn't. What is the opposite of opinion? Fact. I guess you do learn new things every day huh? It still seems like you have a lot to learn about your own car.
The question is- if you don't want a 4 door sedan- why did you buy(or considder) a Maxima???
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM

While I understand posting your own questions(this probably means you are close to buying and can't find the straight simple answer you are looking for), be wary that you will get the people telling you to search the forums instead of posting a thread.

People will complain and post holier than thou replies because it's just what happens on the interwebs- people get attitudes and I know I am guilty of it on numerous occasions.

A lot of people forget that this is supposed to be an information forum for people that love Maximas, not a soapbox to look "cool" or feel relevant in internet land.

Keep the fun jappery in the GHustle or OBX loop muffler thread- this guy just had a question, no need to get on his case.

Summary of this long winded post- if you have a 3.5- get the spacers, if you have a 3.0- you will get a very modest HP increase

Edit- this car is not outdated, it holds up well even into today's day and age when so many cars went on a double cheeseburger diet. I think they actually got it right and I will defend that til my cars last breath.
Thanks. I just bought a 2000 SE and I do like the car. But I will agree to disagree about it being outdated. From what I've read in these forums, and yes I do search a lot and do my own reading, the car seems outdated. Ignition coils, maf, you know better than I do. Also technology and power are down compared to newer cars. The attitude on these forums is way different than the other car forum I use. This is the only one I know of that makes it so you can't start a thread until you have 15 posts. Also a lot more salty people like Rochester.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 AM

The question is- if you don't want a 4 door sedan- why did you buy(or considder) a Maxima???
As a beater/ DD to keep the miles down on my other car. Also RWD isn't that practical in the snow. I never said I didn't want I four door sedan. The Maxima also fits the bill perfectly because I have a son, so four doors is more practical for me.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM

That's it!

And I don't really know anything about my car. It's shiny, and it goes fast.

Spacers help with that.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

In regards to the shorter intake, people buy them in droves but I am not a fan of sucking in gobs of warm engine bay air(I know they will net very minimal gains up top- more so with other mods).
Yeah the Short air intake is not my ideal choice, but it is better than stock, and simple/cheap, so if the choice is Stock or SRI, then SRI is the way to go.

If you do get one- be sure to keep the stock snorkel so you get some cooler air in the engine bay. One thing I do love is the sound of a conical filter- it gives the engine some *****.
Speaking solely as a non-certified Armchair Engineer (), aren't those concerns about warm engine bay air negated as soon as you start moving?

As for the stock snorkel... without negative pressure as the only source of air to the intake, when coupled with a SRI it looks more of an impediment to air circulation than anything else. That, and it looks dumb.
The engine bay air temperature will always be higher, regardless of speed. Of course, the faster the car is moving, the lower that temperature will be, but as a comparison, Engine bay temp always > Outside air temp.

I'm with Rochester, that snorkle does nothing but impede airflow, unless it's sealed and attatched to the intake, which would cause vacuum. Without that, it's just in the way. And yeah, it looks pretty foolish too

You came into a Maxima Forum with a comment calling us foolish for doing performance mods to our cars.... yeah, you're a tool for doing that, not a very intellegent thing, did you think you'd be met with hugs and praise?

On the subject, I do agree that there are MANY better platforms for a performance car, but that's not the point, every car platform has a group of individuals determined to modify them in some way.

The Maxima has an incredible reputation for tasteful modification, as opposed to some other 'better platform' cars, that are infamous for stereotyping before you even touch them.

IE> The Honda Civic, although we all like to bash it, is by far the best platform car for performance. $ for $, you can't mod anything on the road as cheap as a Civic, especially looking at performance.
Also, even after ridiculous modding, they're still more reliable, and get better mileage than most cars on the road.

The problem? Too many dipshyts make them look like hopped up AutoZone pieces of junk, with cheap tailights, etc, etc. SO they have a horrible reputation in circles of TASTEfull modders. And there's too many on the road, no matter what you do, it will always be 'another civic'.

Also, not many of us will ever get hassled by the cops in our Maximas, regardless of how fast they are. Look at Sparks' car, nice and clean, nothing over the top, N/A, and able to smoke most cars on the street.

Point? Shut up and go join the Civic Nation if you don't want to play here.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-01-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the NWP intake manifold Kit worth Buying?