Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In. - Page 20 - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Reload this Page >

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sb001 View Post
Just went out and checked this- happy (and relieved) to report absolutely no sign of rust whatsoever on that rad support- in fact, it looks so good I wonder if it's already been replaced.
however, the entire splash guard is missing, so there's that i suppose.
Great news that you don't have rust on the lower rad support! Not sure what one can do to keep it that way. If your Maxima was a daily driver, just keep doing whatever they did with it or didn't do with it. For mine, it got this way after 15 yrs or so. So, I won't mind if it rusts in 15 yrs.

It cost me $1,000 to repair the upper and lower frame, along with the hood lock bracket. Nissan only sells them as a whole frame now. The part from the shop was $550 plus his labor and taxes. The same part from eBay could have been had for $375. However, I didn't have time to wait, or I could have purchased it from eBay (OEM Nissan part) and given to shop to work on.

A shop in Hempstead, NY called All Out Motorworks did the work. Took about 1.5 days from drop off to pick up. The shop is not real clean or modern, but he did the work and my car looks fine. I looked at three auto body shops in my area in Central NJ, and no one wanted to do it. They did give ballpark figure of $1,000, but didn't want to do it. Advice ranged from "drive it for a couple of years, and you'll have done well." to "that's not going to drop for another 5 yrs (I questioned this one)". Someone said "it's not structural" (then why is it welded???). Anyway, I found it odd people didn't want money to fix what I wanted fixed. The last guy dropped a hint, unintentionally, I think. He mentioned that once they start moving old parts around, and having to remove radiator and ac condenser, then o-rings need to be replaced, potentially rusted bolts may break and all other unpredictables. I think that's why they didn't want to deal with it. Anyway, my lower rad is fixed, and I'm happy. I bought car for $2,300, so with this $1,000, it's still a good buy, imo for $3,300. I'll wait till next summer to replace shocks and struts.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Newbie

Picked up a 2002 Maxima last year with 105,000 miles on it for cheap. It had a check engine light on, but was only showing up for the downstream O2 sensors. Drove it for a while and now I am ready to roll it into a ditch and set it on fire. Overall been a good commuter vehicle, which is what I was looking for, just wish it still was so I wouldn't have to be driving my GMC 2500 HD everywhere!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Welcome. Not sure you'll find much help here but you can hope.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Picked up an 01 se

New on here but ot to the import scene . Picked up an 01 se auto with 257k on it for $400 cause guy didnt want to wprk on changing alt (lazy i gues lol) , all leather but neglected some but no smoke or oil leaks , no rattles or knocks and has all timing set replaced and runs and drives great . Gonna stay n/a with it but go with a catback and cai and also have a set of 07q45 wheels to go on it . I have ran rotella 15w40 in all my race engines to my dailys with never a scatter or ill mannered happiing but this is my 1st vq30 ive had my hands on to play with and would like a lil input on viscosity on the oil and the tcs if there is a way to disable it as the dash switch does not work and finally the tach doesnt work so any help would be appreciated and im sorry if i am postig this in the wrong section , if i am lead me in the right area please .Im going to try and load a pic if my phone will allow , thanks in advance for any help and great to be a part of an overlooked community of cars !