5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by KDog125
What's up guys? I just picked up an 03 max SE auto for $10200...dealer had it for 11000 but I knocked it down...It has 65k miles on it..black on black leather and has the meridian and titanium package...car is extremely clean no scratches or anything...was this a good deal or did I pay too much? I've been looking for a month and this was by far the best deal i found...any input would be much appreciated!
Since you've already purchased the car, then you paid exactly what it was worth to you, or less. At this point, it's an irrelevant question, asking people here if you got a good deal (or ripped off). It's got low miles and top-of-the-line options in a clean car. Be happy.

Now start modding.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought a 2001 dark grey SE Im so in love i got it with 178k on it but still runs amazing any one know were i would be able to buy a Vq35de? i love the car but want to change swap the motor out with one with less miles
Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Suspension Yoda

Jersey! Whereabouts?

Originally Posted by jfreezy2kjdm
haha, i thought you wouldn't ask ;]

since then, i've tinted the sidemarkers and removed the "gle"
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Rochester
Since you've already purchased the car, then you paid exactly what it was worth to you, or less. At this point, it's an irrelevant question, asking people here if you got a good deal (or ripped off). It's got low miles and top-of-the-line options in a clean car. Be happy.

Now start modding.
Completely agree. Why would you want someone you don't even know to reply and make you feel bad if you paid too much?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM

what's up everyone.
Today i picked up my new maxima. 03 black on black 6spd with 88k on her.
I'm really happy with my purchase, i picked her up for $6900+financing and all that....

I'm a former 4th gen owner, but i lost my maxima to a drunk/high driver.
I also drive a 1990 z32 TT, but that's my project car.

I'll post some pics soon
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
-Cp
Newbie - Just Registered

New 2002 Maxima SE Owner

First post Just picked up an 02 SE yesterday - 168k on it - but got it for $4500 - the dealer did a decent detail on it. The motor/tranny run super strong. I did have them turn the front brake rotors, however, as they were warped. etc.

I'll have to post some pics up later as soon as I take some (wife has the car at work). It's silver with grey interior - everything still works great on it.

Do you guys know of any good, online places to get OEM parts from?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

www.courtesyparts.com
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 AM
-Cp
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Thx!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
-Cp
Newbie - Just Registered

What brakes do you guys recommend? OEM?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by -Cp
What brakes do you guys recommend? OEM?
This is an intro thread, not a spoonfeed me thread.

Welcome to the Org, -Cp. Now start researching.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dr_rabias
what's up everyone.
Today i picked up my new maxima. 03 black on black 6spd with 88k on her.
I'm really happy with my purchase, i picked her up for $6900+financing and all that....

I'm a former 4th gen owner, but i lost my maxima to a drunk/high driver.
I also drive a 1990 z32 TT, but that's my project car.

I'll post some pics soon
Dude, those miles for that money sounds like a sweet deal. Congrats! I'm a reformed 6th gen owner now driving an 03 GLE that I bought 6 weeks ago with only 59k miles on it. (Had to get out from under the payments on the '08 and buy something for cash...) Love driving the 5.5 gen. Wanted an SE with the 6-speed but the wife won't drive stick. Grr!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM

I just got my 03 in January and have wanted that model since it came out initially, bought for 9K at 60,000, completely mint, previous owner babied the thing
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM

i guess i got an amazing deal on mine.

02, 6 speed merdian package with LSD, black leather and 140km (87mi) for my old 01 civic si coupe and $500.
and the 01 civic i got from trading my 93 civic si winter beater plus $2000
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 AM

'03 Maxima

Hey guys whats going on names Joe I just bought a '03 GLE with 124k miles. The kid that put most of the miles on the car was someone I know so I know the car was treated gingerly. I live in Suffolk County Long Island. I am not really to sure what I am going to do to the car yet I have already started switching out little things like rusted bolts and such. I am looking to do an intake and exhaust most likely first but I want to look into which ones run the best with these maximas before I do anything. I have already read many posts and threads about it but still cant get my feet grounded on an idea. If you have an opinion on which intake/exhaust would be the best for this car running with 124k miles please PM me and let me know some info I would really appreciate the help. I don't have much of a price limit but if there are two that run the same just different name I would rather the cheaper. Here are some pics:

Looking forward to getting to know some of you and your cars.

Last edited by guarj17; 05-03-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Suspension Yoda

Welcome to the forum, and nice pickup. Those wheels look great. Is the car lowered?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Yea the car has suspension done and it seems to be like half a inch lowered not to positive though. Those are the 19 inch G37 rims.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all! Also new here - just bought my 2002 from DJTonyG. Can someone confirm for me is mine the "Tungsten Blue Metallic" color? Also this is 5.5 gen, correct?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Suspension Yoda

yes and yes
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by guarj17
Hey guys whats going on names Joe I just bought a '03 GLE with 124k miles. The kid that put most of the miles on the car was someone I know so I know the car was treated gingerly. I live in Suffolk County Long Island. I am not really to sure what I am going to do to the car yet I have already started switching out little things like rusted bolts and such. I am looking to do an intake and exhaust most likely first but I want to look into which ones run the best with these maximas before I do anything. I have already read many posts and threads about it but still cant get my feet grounded on an idea. If you have an opinion on which intake/exhaust would be the best for this car running with 124k miles please PM me and let me know some info I would really appreciate the help. I don't have much of a price limit but if there are two that run the same just different name I would rather the cheaper. Here are some pics:

Looking forward to getting to know some of you and your cars.
Where in Suffolk you from? Thats where I am
Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes and yes
Cool thanks for the info. Gonna have to hit you up for one of your trunk boards one of these days...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Yea the car has suspension done and it seems to be like half a inch lowered not to positive though. Those are the 19 inch G37 rims.
How is the ride on the 19's (knowing that the lowering springs will also have their influence)? I'm on stock 17's and would love to go to 18's...my old bones still need a little bit of cushion over all the potholes and railroad tracks on my daily commute! I don't think there's enough rubber with the 19's to keep me out of the chiropractor's office!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by agochee
Cool thanks for the info. Gonna have to hit you up for one of your trunk boards one of these days...
One of these days! No time like the present
Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gotta08MaxSE
How is the ride on the 19's (knowing that the lowering springs will also have their influence)? I'm on stock 17's and would love to go to 18's...my old bones still need a little bit of cushion over all the potholes and railroad tracks on my daily commute! I don't think there's enough rubber with the 19's to keep me out of the chiropractor's office!
The ride is not that bad. It is a little rough but nothing to serious unless your on a really crappy road. Although I am having one problem with the front end and not sure if its due to the wheels. If I have the wheel turned all the way to the left (not sure about the right) and either give it a good amount of throttle or if I go over a speed bump slowly it makes a very loud noise that sounds almost like when your drilling a screw and its all the way tight and the drill makes that wierd "cant go anymore" noise. If anyone has had the problem please let me know what it might be or what I can look for. I looked all under it with the wheel turned and I don't see anything out of the normal.

@ Rhyno sorry didn't see your post. I live on the Commack / East Northport. You close?

Last edited by guarj17; 05-05-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have my Maxima a couple months but none the less it's still new to me especially since I'm just about done with mods for now at least, this is my fourth one and the best one so far. It's a 2001 pearl white SE 20th Anniversary Edition in 5 speed with 72k. Black leather, heated seats and mirrors power everything, digital climate and Bose... Fully loaded It has everything and I paid $6500. Since then I've put a Greddy EVO2 exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, front strut tower bars, k&n cone air filter, short shifter, and diamond white H.I.D.'s for the head lights and rose pink H.I.D.'s for the fog lights all side markers are cleared and bulbs have been replaced with 7 led or better bulbs (blinkers and all cabin lights as well.) Next I will be offsetting the tires leaving the stock 225s in the front and going to a 255 in the rear, modding the fog lights to run without the headlights, and a set of Eibach coil overs and shocks. What do you think? I'll get some pics up soon as well
Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by showtime
Have my Maxima a couple months but none the less it's still new to me especially since I'm just about done with mods for now at least, this is my fourth one and the best one so far. It's a 2001 pearl white SE 20th Anniversary Edition in 5 speed with 72k. Black leather, heated seats and mirrors power everything, digital climate and Bose... Fully loaded It has everything and I paid $6500. Since then I've put a Greddy EVO2 exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, front strut tower bars, k&n cone air filter, short shifter, and diamond white H.I.D.'s for the head lights and rose pink H.I.D.'s for the fog lights all side markers are cleared and bulbs have been replaced with 7 led or better bulbs (blinkers and all cabin lights as well.) Next I will be offsetting the tires leaving the stock 225s in the front and going to a 255 in the rear, modding the fog lights to run without the headlights, and a set of Eibach coil overs and shocks. What do you think? I'll get some pics up soon as well
Eibach coilovers and shocks? Stay away. Speak with me before you make a suspension purchase.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just purchased a 2000 maxima with 67K miles. my future plans are tint job[in progress rite now] 18-20 inch rims, stereo deck, HID fog and headlights and a new lip.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 PM

The ride is not that bad. It is a little rough but nothing to serious unless your on a really crappy road. Although I am having one problem with the front end and not sure if its due to the wheels. If I have the wheel turned all the way to the left (not sure about the right) and either give it a good amount of throttle or if I go over a speed bump slowly it makes a very loud noise that sounds almost like when your drilling a screw and its all the way tight and the drill makes that wierd "cant go anymore" noise. If anyone has had the problem please let me know what it might be or what I can look for. I looked all under it with the wheel turned and I don't see anything out of the normal.

@ Rhyno sorry didn't see your post. I live on the Commack / East Northport. You close?
Thanks for the reply. I'm torn between staying with the stock 17" wheels and getting some Conti DWS tires for year-round use or keep using my 17" winter set-up and try to pick up a set of 18" Max or G wheels and tires for summer (not a big fan of the after-market stuff I've seen). I kinda like the level of comfort I'm getting now with the crappy Mastercraft tires on the car but really need better traction.

As far as the noise you're hearing I used to get something exactly as you describe from the steering linkage on my old 4Runner. Haven't experienced it with the Max. Good luck sorting it out!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM

new guy here, just bought a 02 maxima GLE has 114k on it owned by a cop,im the third owner and damn thing drives mint!!
feels weird though, im coming from a background of mustangs...and most recently a 6 inch lifted chevy suburban... with 35's... not used to the max yett, but love it so far... especially the gas mileage...

as far as plans, i wanna do intake,exhaust, and i just got a strut brace bar...
have no idea about anything else yett... also just blacked out the side marker lights, and i wanna get the SE tails for it...

btw names mike
Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM

suffolks where it's at....
Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 PM

2002 GLE / 93K

Bought it in Oct 2009 with 68K.

Last edited by ProjectX7; 05-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Eibach coilovers and shocks? Stay away. Speak with me before you make a suspension purchase.
Thanks will do.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 AM

@projectx7, very nice man
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 AM

oh yeah, im not too sure what exhaust to go with, i cant seem to find much
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Everyone! New owner of a 2002 Maxima SE. Bought it for $5400 with 104k miles, one owner and dealer serviced. This forum has been a great help. Here's what I've done so far, all with information I've found here.

Maintenance Items:

1. Oil Change - 5w30 Walmart Supertech Synthetic & Purolator PureOne filter.
2. Automatic Transmission Fluid Change - 3 drain/fills with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
3. Coolant - changed with Peak long life coolant after cleaning with distilled water.
4. steering fluid - just sucked out the old and put in new fluid.
5. spark plugs - Bosch Platinum IR. Followed the instructions/link found from another post here.
6. Air Filter & Cabin Air Filter.

Others:
1. Followed the instructions from a recent thread for the LED lights for the cluster.
2. Got codes PO455 and P1448 a few days after buying the car. Bought the purge valve from rockauto and replaced it. I cleared the codes and 1k miles later, they never came back.

Next:
- Fuel Filter - I already bought a fuel filter, but I can seem to find the right non-nissan part # for the O-ring. I believe I've done a thorough job of search for it, I just keep seeing the nissan part number. I'd like to be able to just buy the right part from rockauto or amazon.
- Tires - The tires that came with it are at 4/32. I'm going to need a spare set of rims and winter tires too for new england winters.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Sounds like you're on your way and making great progress with your new car.

Have a look at the product I developed that replaces the saggy spare tire cover in your trunk.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 AM

Hello all,

Since I've had my car (and been surfing these forums) since November I think I really ought to take the time to introduce myself.

I picked up an '02 SE at 160k (kilometers, I'm in Canuckistan).
Love the car, black with black leather.

I've fixed a few minor things so far:
New spark plugs,
New air-filter,
Oil Change,
Swapped the tranny oil for MT-85 (the old stuff smelled like pure evil),
ES shifter bushings have gone in too,
Patched the radiator... not sure why there was a pin sized hole in the top..,
Fixed the bad connection in the DRL module.

Remaining issues:
1) Mileage... yeah I know, not a car you buy for the mileage but I would at least like to equal what I pulled driving my dad's '02 WRX for a few months. The Max actually specs at better mileages, so I'm not pleased about 2.5mpg worse consumption.

2)Engine mounts... I'll be doing some checking when I next get the chance but I'm hoping that it may be a simple fix addresses three issue: the clunking when hitting a pothole while turn a sharp left, a little jumpiness of the line at times, and some of the erratic shift quality...

Ah well, I enjoy learning new thinks and this site is a great help in that regard.
Minor flaws aside I never get tired of reaching the end of an on-ramp... over the speed limit... in 3rd. (the mileage issue is independent of this before you ask )

I think if I had more spare cash I think I'd tinker with her endlessly.

Last edited by Lochnivar; 05-16-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Suspension Yoda

Welcome to the org!

Motor mounts are fairly easy. You can get all 4 for about $100-$150USD, shipped. Install can be done yourself if you have fair mechanical knowledge and some basic tools.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold Air Intake

Hi, I am new to this page too. I just purchased a 2002 Maxima SE with 67,000 miles on it. I am considering modifying it with some simple upgrades such as exhaust and an intake. I am considering the Injen Cold Air Intake to start with. I was wondering if it was the best way to go with these cars? I have heard that the cold air intake can mess up the Mass Air Flow sensor. I was wondering if this is true. I was also wondering what the chances of sucking up water would be? I have exhaust questions but I will save that for another post. Sorry to put this under your post but I am new so I can't create my own post. Thanks for your help, I'm glad to be a part of this Forum. Thanks Again.
David
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^^

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html
Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i bought a 2000 nissan maxima not so long ago, my first car ofcourse, so im completely lost lol but every experience is a well learned lesson i guess... just wish there was a freaking to do list per problem that shows up you know..

Quick Reply: Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.