5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Megan Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Megan Exhaust Install

I just bought a megan racing catback and am looking to install it myself. I was wondering if anyone has done it theirselves and has any tips or things that they learned from the installation that would help it go by quicker and easier. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Should be pretty straight forward... you will need to jack the rear end as high as possible. Make sure you spray some PB blaster before hand and also replace the gasket and new bolts.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 AM

also get metal ring claps to wrap around the rubber pieces to ensure no rattling.

(maybe $5 at a local hardware store- if even that much)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM

I'd suggest a tarp or something on the ground so you don't scratch up the tips as you're trying to wrestle the new muffler in. It's pretty tricky getting the exhaust flange through the small gap over the rear axle.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All good suggestions so far. My biggest issue doing cat-backs to date has been breaking the nuts loose from the studs on the cat, especially if you're still using the original stock b-pipe.

As for jacking the rear of the car high up, take a look here to get an idea.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ck-stands.html

And yes, an old towel or mat to protect the exhaust tip is a great idea, as are additional hose clamps to beef up the exhaust hangers.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Post a video please once your done. I know me and alot of other people would like to get the megan racing too. thanks and good luck
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM

I was thinking about buying a megan racing cat-back for my max too....I have seen youtube videos of them and they sound great! Let me know how you like it..
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

I just received mine yesterday and will pay a shop $45 to put it on. I'll post a few vids and leave some feedback.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Does anyone install their own mods anymore?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Guess not. Ive found that not many ppl have the proper tools(atleast around here)

EDIT. OP if you have access to a torch it would help out tremendously. Heat every bolt up and take them off while hot

Last edited by 01SilverMaxima; 04-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I did my short shifter and my sprint booster . I would love to do ALL my mods if I had a garage, but I think I would receive a letter from the apartment complex if I jacked my car up all day to install my clutch, or install headers, etc.....so I just take it to a performance shop and let them do it. I do still change my own oil in all my cars because I can roll the car up the ramp and get it done in like 20 mins before anyone start to complain.....and I don't leave oil stains in the parking lot either!!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM

I had to take the nuts from the cat to my buddys shop and he had to torch them to fit a socket around it because i COULD NOT get them off and the Muffler took me FOREVER to get through the gap over the rear axle since the car wasn't on a lift. Other than that everything was pretty straight forward and I will definitely be posting a video within the next few days.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

I had it installed it yesterday and will post vids soon.

I like the sound and looks of the double chrome tips. It's not a loud obnoxious ricer sound. I even think it gives the car a nice BMW sound...

I don't like the drone! If I’m cruising in the 2k – 2.5k rpm range and press the gas pedal more than 1/3 of the way down, the drone is really bad…. I am thinking about eventually replacing the Megan resonator by a thrush glasspack to help reduce the drone. Has anyone in here done this? Will it help reduce the drone?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by CMax03
Doesn't look like it. There's no better feeling than doing your own installs and going for a drive after you've finished.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
I had it installed it yesterday and will post vids soon.

I like the sound and looks of the double chrome tips. It's not a loud obnoxious ricer sound. I even think it gives the car a nice BMW sound...

I don't like the drone! If I’m cruising in the 2k – 2.5k rpm range and press the gas pedal more than 1/3 of the way down, the drone is really bad…. I am thinking about eventually replacing the Megan resonator by a thrush glasspack to help reduce the drone. Has anyone in here done this? Will it help reduce the drone?
Not sure if this would fit, but there are decent reviews on the net for it:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...7bcdece103d0df
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM

3" in/out would take crimping/clamping?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30

3" in/out would take crimping/clamping?
Yep, that's what I just noticed... Megan piping is 2.5" diameter...
Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Here it is guys. Really happy with the sound as well as the performance. The video really doesnt do it any justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnJdGAUamc
Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by nselca2
Here it is guys. Really happy with the sound as well as the performance. The video really doesnt do it any justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnJdGAUamc
Lol looks like you and I installed our Megan on the same day dude...

Here is my video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c34wQyw8d8

Does yours also give you a bad drone between 2000rpm and 2500rpm?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Yep, that's what I just noticed... Megan piping is 2.5" diameter...
Sorry. I forgot.

They also have one in 2.5" http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141-U.../dp/B000E3VHWI
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM

sears sells a small torch. its worth it to prevent snapping the bolts and makes it eaier to remove i think ther like 25 dollars.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Update on the Megan Catback after a week:

I haven't changed anything (still stock cat) but now the drone seems less present in the cabin. Its still there b/w 2k and 2.5k rpm but not as bad as it was with the brand new exhaust.

One of two things may have happened:

1) I got used to the done.
2) The carbon buildup in the exhaust slightly reduced the drone...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

my first Megan had drone really bad and i had a test pipe on there too(no cat).the megan i put on my new car has it bad too both with the oe cat and much less with the Magnaflow high flow cat i just installed.im thinking of changing out the resonator to a 4"x28" magnaflow unit to see if that helps with the drone.one bit of advice swap out the gaskets that came with the megan for OE after 3 weeks the cheap gasket that was between the cat and the B pipe was burned thru in 2 spots my wife trashed them or i would of posted pics of them.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Update on the Megan Catback after a week:

I haven't changed anything (still stock cat) but now the drone seems less present in the cabin. Its still there b/w 2k and 2.5k rpm but not as bad as it was with the brand new exhaust.

One of two things may have happened:

1) I got used to the done.
2) The carbon buildup in the exhaust slightly reduced the drone...
I used to have done as well, 20K miles but now its really little or completely gone.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM

lol... Damn what happened to the "r"
Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 AM

I installed my Megan OE-RS exhaust about 3 weeks ago but haven't really had the chance to drive much since i got it installed. Before last night I think I had a total of 80 miles on the new exhaust. Last night I took a 150 mile trip. At the beginning of the trip the drone was really loud in 6th gear between 1900-2400 RPMs and It was starting to bother me. Half way through my trip I noticed that the exhaust drone reduced significantly. It is still there but definitely not as obtrusive as earlier in the trip. For those who have drone and just installed your exhaust i'd give it a few hundred miles to "break in". Not sure if this is everybody's experience with this exhaust but I was definitely happy to hear that the drone went down after time. Now this weekend's project is to swap out to these OE exhaust gasket sitting right next to me
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Should quiet down a little more once you get about 500+ miles worth of exhaust soot built up insde that reduces the sound wave reflection inside your system.....that's why al system are a little louder when new!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Just finish swapping out to the OEM Nissan exhaust gaskets. For those getting them make sure you get the 2.5 inch diameter ones that go before and after the center cat. I think the gaskets further down stream on the OEM exhaust is 2 inches in diamter. Anyway the cutout on the 2.5 inch OEM gaskets were perfect, however the bolt holes needed to be bored out a millimeter more on each side so the bolts could fit straight through.

Like others have said the gaskets provided with the exhaust are garbage. In order for them to work they have to lined up perfect. However this is difficult since the gaskets are actually smaller than the piping flanges and are difficult to adjust and the bolt holes have too much play in them to sit perfectly center. The OEM ones are much bigger and easier to adjust. One of the gaskets that came with the exhaust actually melted and created a small leak. This was only after a little over 200 miles. Do yourself a favor and swap out the gaskets.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 AM

i had mines on for about 4-6 months and at first it wasn't the greatest but after it broke in, and started sounding great. nice aggressive tone to it. and yes the drone is pretty bad, but I've gotten use to it and its not so bad any more.

-one problem i have is i rattle on bumps gotta get some metal ring claps. haven't gotten the time to get them nor put them on.

i also was gonna change it out with a 28" thrush glass pack but i get so many different reviews on everything im still debating what im gonna do with it this summer. guess im gonna check around some more before i make up my mind.
hope you enjoy the exhaust though.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM

I've installed my own intake lol.... jk, sometimes, well all the timesi don't want to be bothered wth installing parts n my lack of tools and the headaches of coming here waiting for a response sucks... yea ill pay, whatever lol
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxDaLimit
i had mines on for about 4-6 months and at first it wasn't the greatest but after it broke in, and started sounding great. nice aggressive tone to it. and yes the drone is pretty bad, but I've gotten use to it and its not so bad any more.

-one problem i have is i rattle on bumps gotta get some metal ring claps. haven't gotten the time to get them nor put them on.

i also was gonna change it out with a 28" thrush glass pack but i get so many different reviews on everything im still debating what im gonna do with it this summer. guess im gonna check around some more before i make up my mind.
hope you enjoy the exhaust though.
Did you keep the 2 cross braces on underneath the car? There should be a pretty thick steel brace just after the cat and I think there is another small brace after the resonator right before the B pipe. Not sure if this is where your rattle is coming from. I know if you don't put spaces on before you put the braces back on the exhaust can shake over bumps and bang into the braces.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chanimal117
Just finish swapping out to the OEM Nissan exhaust gaskets. For those getting them make sure you get the 2.5 inch diameter ones that go before and after the center cat. I think the gaskets further down stream on the OEM exhaust is 2 inches in diamter. Anyway the cutout on the 2.5 inch OEM gaskets were perfect, however the bolt holes needed to be bored out a millimeter more on each side so the bolts could fit straight through.

Like others have said the gaskets provided with the exhaust are garbage. In order for them to work they have to lined up perfect. However this is difficult since the gaskets are actually smaller than the piping flanges and are difficult to adjust and the bolt holes have too much play in them to sit perfectly center. The OEM ones are much bigger and easier to adjust. One of the gaskets that came with the exhaust actually melted and created a small leak. This was only after a little over 200 miles. Do yourself a favor and swap out the gaskets.
I did this same thing on my Cattman 2.5" 6 yrs ago and My Cattman 3" catback which I had to open the ID up to 3" and that was easy....These same OEM I've been using and reusing for 8+ yrs now.....No leaks!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM

Did you keep the 2 cross braces on underneath the car? There should be a pretty thick steel brace just after the cat and I think there is another small brace after the resonator right before the B pipe. Not sure if this is where your rattle is coming from. I know if you don't put spaces on before you put the braces back on the exhaust can shake over bumps and bang into the braces.
Yeah i kept my cross braces on. and yes most likely i think thats what I'm hitting on. But i never took it off, it was on when i took off my old exhaust i just angled in the new one in the braces.

what should i do their? take off the braces and put spaces? Or is it possible to put a exhaust clamp. ?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxDaLimit
Yeah i kept my cross braces on. and yes most likely i think thats what I'm hitting on. But i never took it off, it was on when i took off my old exhaust i just angled in the new one in the braces.

what should i do their? take off the braces and put spaces? Or is it possible to put a exhaust clamp. ?
Either approach should be fine. Some here have used spacers others have added hangers or clamps to keep the exhaust from moving. Mine are currently off but I plan on putting spacers on.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Either approach should be fine. Some here have used spacers others have added hangers or clamps to keep the exhaust from moving. Mine are currently off but I plan on putting spacers on.
well i just got the 2.5" exhaust hangers. just curious how I'm i gonna go about mounting it?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Did anyone have a problem with the O2 sensors fitting after the cat?

I don't know where the O2 sensors after the cat are supposed to fit (there is no hole in the pipe which runs btwn the end of the cat and resonator)?

Did anyone else run into this problem or am I missing something.

I also have a Cattman Y-pipe installed with stock cat.

Last edited by yazz; 05-17-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by yazz
Did anyone have a problem with the O2 sensors fitting after the cat?

I don't know where the O2 sensors after the cat are supposed to fit (there is no hole in the pipe which runs btwn the end of the cat and resonator)?

Did anyone else run into this problem or am I missing something.

I also have a Cattman Y-pipe installed with stock cat.
there are no O2 sensors after the cat
Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
The original VQ...

Any of u guys running headers with your megan catback ? I've heard the catback on a stock header and y-pipe car and loved it.
Just wondering how much louder it would be on my 01 with a highflow cat and custom maxima headers.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

it will be a deeper toned and maybe 30% louder given how headers tend to make the other exhausts grumble
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
there are no O2 sensors after the cat
Fed spec car have O2 sensors after the cat.

Quick Reply: Megan Exhaust Install