5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Six Month Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Six Month Review

It has now been six months since I bought my 2002 GLE. Just some thoughts on it thus far:

Every day the engine in this car makes me smile. I come from a long line of four bangers and having the instant torque and HP of the 3.5 is very welcome. I can't believe how smooth the drivetrain is most of the time even though the car is now 9 years old. This thing must have been light years ahead of the domestic six cylinders in 2002.

Besides the motor, I still love all the bells and whistles in the GLE, I've never had those before either so I really appreciate them.

The ride is a bit on the "squishy" side, but there's no doubt it's very comfortable around town. The only time it bothers me is at higher speeds on the interstate when the car will bob around a bit.

I've had a few things go wrong, but they're all wear items that are expected to go wrong after this many years. The only one that I think Nissan could have thought out better is the trailing arm bushing. Energy suspesion is there to hook you up with a new bushing, but it's still a huge PITA to install.

The other issue is motor mounts. I probably have a bad one but this is the first car I've owned where the motor mounts were something that EVER went wrong. Most cars the motor mount is a non issue until much, much higher mileage.

Other than that, I will continue caring for and enjoying this beast as long as she'll live - hopefully that will be to 200,000 miles and beyond. I have only 71K now so I've got a loooong way to go. Happy trails all and stay safe.