5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Were whould I put my o2 sensors? I am really starting to think about putting my headers on my 02 since a Y-pipe will not work and who knows if and when a company will actually make headers. Fitment looks the same so it should be a straight forward install. What I need to know is where will the 3 o2 sensors go{I think hteres 3, right?}? My headers have two o2 sensor wholes but since the pre-cat's are gone will this screw up my ecu{AKA limp mode}? Also I am considering the possibility of getting the fake o2 sensors so I won't have remount the o2 sensors in my cat yadda yadda.

After putting my stillen intake on the car it is a LOT faster and it has knocked off .2 tenths of a second 0-60 . I am feeling the need of MORE power! I beat my 0-60 time of 5.76, now I am down to 5.75{2nd try}!

Thanks for the help guy's
Old 12-25-2001, 08:25 PM

Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Originally posted by emax95
I am really starting to think about putting my headers on my 02 since a Y-pipe will not work
talk about a y-pipe on the 2k2 has kind of died off recently. what makes you say you dont think it will work?
Old 12-25-2001, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Originally posted by Newman96SE

talk about a y-pipe on the 2k2 has kind of died off recently. what makes you say you dont think it will work?
It won't work because both precats are connected to the extractors{AKA manifold or header}. It's the same deal the 99-01 Cali-Spec Y-Pipes had times two. The only other idea is to put a higher flow pipe between the precats and cat, this would only yeild a few HP at best. Headers are the only way to go, they are a HUGE pain to put on and take off though.
Old 12-25-2001, 08:55 PM
PRINCE NISMO

I just hope the aftermarket does not give up developing some kind of Y-pipe for the 2K2 all together. Since the production run will not be that long?

Old 12-25-2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by PRINCE NISMO
I just hope the aftermarket does not give up developing some kind of Y-pipe for the 2K2 all together. Since the production run will not be that long?
Hopefully they already gave up on tring to make a Y-Pipe since it is impossible to do. Headers are the only thing that can be done.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:02 PM
PRINCE NISMO

Hopefully they already gave up on tring to make a Y-Pipe since it is impossible to do. Headers are the only thing that can be done.
Emax, what's your opinion on the B-pipe? Do you think it will show any gains?

Old 12-25-2001, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by PRINCE NISMO
Emax, what's your opinion on the B-pipe? Do you think it will show any gains?
It's probably good for 2-3 HP, I am thinking about adding just a B-pipe{with stock muffler}.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:06 PM

oh yeah. we talked about this before. i said this then: stillen has a y-pipe "in the works". if its impossible like you say, wouldnt they know that by know?
Old 12-25-2001, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

oh yeah. we talked about this before. i said this then: stillen has a y-pipe "in the works". if its impossible like you say, wouldnt they know that by know?
"They" know that, your stillen rep obviusly does not. If you don't believe me, then tell me how in world a Y-Pipe will fit, prove it. Give it up, it is impossible.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:16 PM

"They" know that, your stillen rep obviusly does not. If you don't believe me, then tell me how in world a Y-Pipe will fit, prove it. Give it up, it is impossible.
im not arguing with you. i have no clue. i was just bringing it up to see if it mattered.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:43 PM
PhatGuy

Well maybe this will help.

I have driven a 2k2 6spd with stillen intake and muffler and the car is very quiet even the muffler. So I'm thinking even under WOT that the stillen muffler is so quiet there must be some restrictions along the exhaust line aside from the resonator. For sure a full catback in conjunction with the intake will give extra few HP up top! I would say even just a B-pipe with stock muffler would give a few more HP. (the way I would go)

Old 12-26-2001, 01:06 AM

Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Were whould I put my o2 sensors? I am really starting to think about putting my headers on my 02 since a Y-pipe will not work and who knows if and when a company will actually make headers. Fitment looks the same so it should be a straight forward install. What I need to know is where will the 3 o2 sensors go{I think hteres 3, right?}? My headers have two o2 sensor wholes but since the pre-cat's are gone will this screw up my ecu{AKA limp mode}? Also I am considering the possibility of getting the fake o2 sensors so I won't have remount the o2 sensors in my cat yadda yadda.
Thanks for the help guy's
What most people do is mount the o2 sensors that are before the precats, above the main cat. Then just put the other o2 sensors behind the main cat. Of course to do this you will have to extend the wiring or make some kind of plug that extends it. Before you do that check and see if the exhaust manifold gaskets are the same. Otherwise you'd pull all that stuff off just to find out that it doesn't fit. Also take some measurements like how far the exhaust manifolds are from each other, height from the Y pipe, etc.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Do it! Do it! Do it!
Old 12-26-2001, 06:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ethan is right. Since the precats are actually part of the exhaust manifolds, you really can't remove them and install a Y-pipe. It looks like the pipe you can replace on the exhaust upstream of the main cat is the y-section where the two exhaust manifolds (with precats meet). On the 4th gens and earlier 5th gens, this Y-section was very kinked and actually had a nasty reverse flow bend. According to the tech drawing and numerous pics of the 02 by GregP, it looks like this pipe finally has a smooth flowing bend. I'm sure the aftermarket will develop something to replace this pipe (maybe something larger in diameter). IMO, an intake, B-pipe, UDP, and possibly the Y-section pipe would be good for about 10fwhp and 10fwtq in the 02. I'd figure with these mods and lighter weight rims, you could get a 02 into the 13s in the right conditions (the realm of SC Maxs). The only other real performance option would be headers which are questionable due to the emissions control. I've have a strong feeling the 02 ECU is far smarter than a 95-96 ECU.

Dave
Old 12-26-2001, 02:49 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

this sucks @ss that is is all.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:02 PM

You guys give up too easily

I am the admin/owner of the New Edge Cougar Owners (NECO) Forums. The 99+ Cougar also has pre-cats and here is what we do to combat this problem. Gut the pre-cats and install MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) Eliminators. I don't know if the O2 hookups are the same as FORD, but Dallas Mustang sells them on their site for like $60. Basically, the plug inline with your lower O2 sensors and simply fool the engine computer into thinking that the bottom O2 are getting a reading within their range, thus not tripping the SES light. This allows us to gut the pre-cats, creating an expansion chamber and freeing up a good 5+hp at the wheels and noticable increase in power throughout the RPM band. With the main cat in place, as long as it is warmed up, you will still pass emissions. I welcome you to come to our boards and search in the "How To's" forum for a detailed write up of this almost free HP mod. Also, for those not willing to seperate with $60, the MIL Eliminators can be fabricated by Radio Shack parts for about $10!!!

I would like to note that I test drove an 02 Maxima today and that car pulled like a banche above 4K RPMs! BTW, it was equiped with an ATX (Automatic Transmission Transaxle). I sold the Cougar to help save money for my new house that will be ready at the end of February. Once we are in and settled, the wife and I are looking for a fast 4 door
Old 12-26-2001, 07:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well we can only hope that the MIL eliminators work on Japanese cars. As far as I know, the only people that use MIL eliminators are GM and Ford owners.

If you've seen the pre-cat canister on the Maxima/Altima V6, you'd know that gutting it would not be a good idea. The canisters are enormous and would cause very nasty exhaust pulse and poor exhaust velocity which would certainly cause a loss of power. The best bet would be to get headers. Unfotunately headers will also likely require some type of ECU upgrade or piggyback ECU to compensate for the crazy O2 readings. We could be looking at $1200+ for a header setup.

Dave
Old 12-26-2001, 07:55 PM
PRINCE NISMO

I'm surprised that since there is so much talk about the Max and Altimas increase in HP that no aftermarket company is rushing to be the first to get the headers on the street. Let's see if NISMO will have some much needed parts for the 5th-Gen when they get here in 2002?

Old 12-26-2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Well we can only hope that the MIL eliminators work on Japanese cars. As far as I know, the only people that use MIL eliminators are GM and Ford owners.

If you've seen the pre-cat canister on the Maxima/Altima V6, you'd know that gutting it would not be a good idea. The canisters are enormous and would cause very nasty exhaust pulse and poor exhaust velocity which would certainly cause a loss of power. The best bet would be to get headers. Unfotunately headers will also likely require some type of ECU upgrade or piggyback ECU to compensate for the crazy O2 readings. We could be looking at $1200+ for a header setup.

Dave
ARGGG this sucks, what about having like a 2 inch pipe inserted through the precats after they are partially gutted to give the smooth flow and right exhaust velocity. ????????
Old 12-26-2001, 08:00 PM

You would be very supprised ... we thought the same. Here is a picture of some MSDS headers vs. stock manifold ... The headers give anywhere from 10-25hp gains and the gutted pre-cats give anywhere from 5-15hp ... considering that the headers cost $600 and the gutted pre-cats are nearly free, the price/hp ratio is quite attactive.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:05 PM

Forgot to add ... someone in Cali drop in at MSDS and tell Marty that there is interest in these for the Maxima crowd. I am sure that he will build you guys headers at a very reasonable price (sub $700). His headers for the Cougar come with manifold gaskets, all hardware, and the MIL Eliminators

http://www.msdsinc.com

Tell whoever goes to Marty to tell him that Trevor from the Cougar boards sent him. Marty and I have a business relationship and he is a great guy to do business with. If there is interest (20 or so orders), he will most likely produce a set for you guys. Something to think about.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by FastCougar
Forgot to add ... someone in Cali drop in at MSDS and tell Marty that there is interest in these for the Maxima crowd. I am sure that he will build you guys headers at a very reasonable price (sub $700). His headers for the Cougar come with manifold gaskets, all hardware, and the MIL Eliminators

http://www.msdsinc.com

Tell whoever goes to Marty to tell him that Trevor from the Cougar boards sent him. Marty and I have a business relationship and he is a great guy to do business with. If there is interest (20 or so orders), he will most likely produce a set for you guys. Something to think about.

some body please do this
Old 12-26-2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

some body please do this
Yep, tell Marty to get a move on it!

If this guy can make good headers that fit and function well there will be a lot more then 20 people buying them.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:54 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

It won't work because both precats are connected to the extractors{AKA manifold or header}.
Does the v6 Altima have this same config?

Old 12-27-2001, 12:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Does the v6 Altima have this same config?
From what I hear the Altima has the exact same headerssame part #} and defective Y-Pipe.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:49 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If I was to put my headers on my 02>

From what I hear the Altima has the exact same headerssame part #} and defective Y-Pipe.
Damn!

Old 12-27-2001, 04:51 AM

Yep, tell Marty to get a move on it!

If this guy can make good headers that fit and function well there will be a lot more then 20 people buying them.
i think that idea i had might work. the hardest part would be gutting the precats. you would guy the precats, and have the piece that connects the bottom of them and then a pipe that would run up the gutted precats almost all the way up. someone tell me the flaws with this other than it will be super ghetto-licious but cost about 300 bucks.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:40 AM
KERR

Ill take a set also if the work, IM still going to add me a 15lb bottle in the trunk, the hell with a intake and cat back