5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Altezza Lights Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Front sidemarker rewire into the turn-signals is a pretty simple mod.

It looks fascinating at night to see it blink in alternating sequence to the signal light.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Really? Because my Nissan Dealership gave me a NYS inspection a few months ago, and this was after I installed smoked side-markers in the front and back.
Do your mechanics even have licences in the states? I know the Diesel mechanics don't need licences.

Either way, you got away with it, or the inspecting mechanic didn't care, there are no amber/red reflectors visible from the side once you do clear markers, as such, illegal.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Do your mechanics even have licences in the states? I know the Diesel mechanics don't need licences.

Either way, you got away with it, or the inspecting mechanic didn't care, there are no amber/red reflectors visible from the side once you do clear markers, as such, illegal.
Yes, of course shops have to be licensed to perform NYS Inspections. All dealerships are, in this state. My thinking is that gently smoked side-markers look so perfectly integrated on a sheer-silver car that it didn't occur to anyone to notice. It's not like they're cleared, or hacked up and painted with Nightshade or something.

Kind of funny, getting NYS inspection comments from a Canadian. It's like me giving you advice on beer and butter tarts.

Hmm... Butter tarts.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-11-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, of course shops have to be licensed to perform NYS Inspections. All dealerships are, in this state. My thinking is that gently smoked side-markers look so perfectly integrated on a sheer-silver car that it didn't occur to anyone to notice. It's not like they're cleared, or hacked up and painted with Nightshade or something.

Kind of funny, getting NYS inspection comments from a Canadian. It's like me giving you advice on beer and butter tarts.

Hmm... Butter tarts.
lol, I was talking about the mechanics themselves, not the shops. I know that Diesel Techs (Class A) don't require a license to perform inspections in the states, any backyard mechanic can do it. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff from repairs done in the states. Don't take offense, I was just curious.

Mmmm Butter tarts, I'm going have to hit that up
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

I don't understand...I've seen MANY cars with NO side markers at all......so why would they care if you changed the markers? Like ROC said, the smoked ones blend so good they probably don't even notice unless you get some ***** inspecting your car.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by scottygill
The red may be a little faint in the daylight, but the LEDS put out a crimson red that no stock tail light can touch
I just went ahead and bought the 00-01 OEM tails from A1 Auto....they came with the harness, black sealant and everything so no looking for 00 harnesses. Another thing, I also bout RED LED lights to replace the factory red lights in the back...WOW....you were right the red is a DEEP bright red, makes the factory bulbs look dull.....they actually match the RED LEDs on the rear spoiler now! The only thing is after I installed the LEDs I'm getting a light out indication on the dash.....I'm guessing this is because of the low power that LEDs use and the care probably thinks the bulbs is blown.....will you fail inspection for this??
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I don't understand...I've seen MANY cars with NO side markers at all......so why would they care if you changed the markers? Like ROC said, the smoked ones blend so good they probably don't even notice unless you get some ***** inspecting your car.
They're still there. Most all cars today wrap their headlight and taillights around the corner, so that that the side-lights are integrated.

Here's a good example of both... the Chevy Malibu has integrated front markers, but the taillights are flat, which is why there are side markers in the rear. (Ugly, cheap looking little lights, but consistent with manufacturer quality, I suppose.)

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM

I just went ahead and bought the 00-01 OEM tails from A1 Auto....they came with the harness, black sealant and everything so no looking for 00 harnesses. Another thing, I also bout RED LED lights to replace the factory red lights in the back...WOW....you were right the red is a DEEP bright red, makes the factory bulbs look dull.....they actually match the RED LEDs on the rear spoiler now! The only thing is after I installed the LEDs I'm getting a light out indication on the dash.....I'm guessing this is because of the low power that LEDs use and the care probably thinks the bulbs is blown.....will you fail inspection for this??
Sorry I didnt mention it earlier... your LED project is about to get a little more expensive and involved. Yes you will fail inspection and it will reduce the life expectancy of your bulbs. See THIS THREAD for info on what you need and how to do it
Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM

rear side markers are hooked up to the running lights... not brake lights and not turn signals up front either
OK....cool so no need to add resistors or loaders or any of that crap to the sidemarker? I tell you its one FREAKING THING after another!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 AM

What about the Mercury Mountaineer?
Completely bone stock tails..

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

OK....cool so no need to add resistors or loaders or any of that crap to the sidemarker? I tell you its one FREAKING THING after another!!!!
If you are putting leds in your side markers you dont need resistors, they are cheap enough and last long enough to negate the extra cost and pain of stuffing resistors in there. Just dont get your 194s from ebay, get them from a reputable site such as superbrightleds.com or v-leds.com

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816

yeah and the lexus suv and a handful of others. The reflective tape on the bumper fills the DOT requirement.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 AM

From the New York DMV website:
All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

This implies (to me) that manufacturing requirements differ from inspection requirements. However, it doesn't go into detail what an "approved type" is, specifically. Regardless of that distinction, side markers are not inspected in New York. I didn't know that.

It seems states differ quite a bit.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM

If you are putting leds in your side markers you dont need resistors, they are cheap enough and last long enough to negate the extra cost and pain of stuffing resistors in there. Just dont get your 194s from ebay, get them from a reputable site such as superbrightleds.com or v-leds.com
Side markers don't need them of course. I think he was referring to the tailights though? If you put them in the signal lights, you will have issues, every other place on the 2000-2003 is fine for LEDs.

If you want to run LED signals you just have to go to your local part store and buy a 3prong LED combination flasher relay, easy to install the relay is right next to the fuse panel. Normally under $16

Drop resistors get hot and cost a lot more money. ($16-20 EACH, and you need 4). You can buy them cheaper than that but don't, they will get too hot and burn stuff. All in all, it's not a good way to correct the issue, get the relay.

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816

I'm not going to explain it again, I've said it 2 or 3 times now, read through the old posts. They just need reflectors when the lights are off.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM

cliffs aren't my thing..
Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM

What a very informative thread. I learnes alot today
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Sorry I didnt mention it earlier... your LED project is about to get a little more expensive and involved. Yes you will fail inspection and it will reduce the life expectancy of your bulbs.
You know what FUQ IT!!! I installed the 00 01 Tail lights, bought some silvania silverstars for the red reflectors in the back and they are VERY RED NOW....I'm not going through all that splicing crap buying resistor garbage!! Not worth it.....I wasted already like $200 on these freaking REAR lights already...I'm done! Could be using this money on UTEC or something that is going to get me more power rather than some freakin lights.............but I appreciate all the info you gave me gil!!! THANKS!

PS...Thanks to ROC's suggestiong I also got the smoked grey side markers with the white LEDs.....they look super sweet at night!!! PICS BELOW:

FRONT AND REAR SMOKED SIDE MARKERS (you can also see the 5th gen tails from the side too):

Here is a night pic to show what the white LED's on the smoked side markers look at night...SWEET:

ONLY thing I have left to do is to get rid of that UGLY yellow parking light in the headlights that stay on next to the HID's (the one above the yellow blinker)....gonna find some LEDs to replace there so they match more with the HIDs.....then I'm done with all this light crap......
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 AM

ONLY thing I have left to do is to get rid of that UGLY yellow parking light in the headlights that stay on next to the HID's (the one above the yellow blinker)....gonna find some LEDs to replace there so they match more with the HIDs.....then I'm done with all this light crap......
The parking lights are standard incandescent 194 wedge bulbs. They aren't yellow, they're just dull. Get yourself some white LED's, and you'll probably be happy. There are all different kinds of configurations out there. Given the design of the parking light, you might want to look into a refractor lens LED.

Also (based on your pics), since you're working on lighting and bulbs and what-not, give some consideration to cleaning your headlight lenses. There are a number of headlight restoration kits out there.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 AM

You know what FUQ IT... Not worth it.....I wasted already like $200 on these freaking REAR lights already...I'm done! ....but I appreciate all the info you gave me gill!!! THANKS!

Yeah, I always assumed it was a waste of time to be putting LEDS behind OEM colored lenses. While you acknowledge the color intensity got brighter, its a pretty high price and a PITA to tuck all those resistors back there for stock tails.

Check out Tyutyunnik's thread about some great SMDS hes selling for such locations. By far the brightest around and hes makin waves in the org