5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

trans issue, possibly vss but confused!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

trans issue, possibly vss but confused!!!!!

hey guys!

so i have been battling an issue with my car for a while now....

im starting to lean towards trans speed sensor but....

i know its located on the drivers side trans but.... i see two different sensors in there, one is located closer to the front of the trans above the pan, it seems to be only connected by a small horse shoe clip, the othe, which i have already removed is a smaller 3 prong black sensor on top of the bell housing, held on by a 10 mil. bolt, when i removed it, it looked like a solid plastic tube, when looking online the trans speed sensor has a 'gear on the bottom of it, but im told to remove the ten mil bolt which the larger sensor above the pan has no bolt just a clip.....

im kinda confused...

i was told to remove the trans speed sensor because i should clean it befor replacing it, just incase your wondering why im trying to remove it, im not installing a new one so i have no way of compairing and googleing it...... well just isnt working!

thanks in advance...

btw...

my symptoms are- delayed shifts(feels somewhat like a cvt transmission.... to an extent not slipping like rpms climbing just the time it takes to shift is rediculous), when im cruising and i re apply the gas it seems to be confused on what gear to be in, it just feels slow and has no torque, unless i push a bit harder and get it to downshift,if im cruising and take my foot off the gas and re apply it has no power... unless i upshift i have driven a few maximas and mine is def. not normal, but at the same time not that bad..

Last edited by getflushed; 06-16-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

I don't know if the VSS could give you those kind of symptoms. I'm fairly certain that a bad VSS will cause a check engine light. What has helped others with down-shifting problems has been to run a ground wire to the transmission. Locate where the ground battery cable bolts to the body and run a heavy wire (8 gauge) from there to the transmission housing.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Sweet dude! Ill give that a shot, I've read that a vss/ revolutionary speed sensor/ trans speed sensor could all cause the problems I'm having... But... I do not have an ses light, there is also a tsb for mooshy shifting aboue 2/3rds throttle... Still have tons to go through... Habe gone through tons... I will go the route you said with grounding the tranny to the batt/frame location... GOOD OLD PROSESS OF ELIMINATION!!!!
QUOTE=DennisMik;8083760]I don't know if the VSS could give you those kind of symptoms. I'm fairly certain that a bad VSS will cause a check engine light. What has helped others with down-shifting problems has been to run a ground wire to the transmission. Locate where the ground battery cable bolts to the body and run a heavy wire (8 gauge) from there to the transmission housing.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks! So I'm grounding the. Neg. Batt ground located on the frame rail under the airbox to where???? I grounded it to the trans mount ... Is that ok, where is the best place to ground it too??? I'm confused?
Originally Posted by DennisMik
I don't know if the VSS could give you those kind of symptoms. I'm fairly certain that a bad VSS will cause a check engine light. What has helped others with down-shifting problems has been to run a ground wire to the transmission. Locate where the ground battery cable bolts to the body and run a heavy wire (8 gauge) from there to the transmission housing.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 PM

if u have nt figured out already