5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

twin turbo 5th gen ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:44 PM

twin turbo 5th gen ?

I was looking around for a 300zx on the net for fun and came across someone close-by who is selling 2 turbos and the intercoolers from a z32 for 150$

I thought it would be interesting, but first thing is to ask those with more knowledge than me, how hard would it be. Has anyone ever attempted this ?

I've read the 2nd gen twin-turbo ghetto setup with the turbos inside the compartment, which was entertaining until his car caught on fire.

Anyways, away with the comments and thoughts !

Frank
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM

I don't think anybody has attempted this, but I'd imagine it would be harder to install than a single turbo setup, and would net less gains.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Gotta love twins, response, tq, and two is always better then one.

But we're on maxima.org we like doing things the easy way.

Piping will be fun to figure out 0_0.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM

From what I understand, I don't think it will work since you're dealing with FWD vs RWD. The transverse mounting of the engine for the FWD Maxima makes it hard to nearly impossible to run a twin turbo setup.

I could be wrong, though, and I am more than open to being corrected if I am.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Big E Dog had a TT 2nd gen he did himself (the one thats single turbo and RWD now), but it was still FWD when it was TT
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Gotta love twins, response, tq, and two is always better then one.

Piping will be fun to figure out 0_0.
I disagree with this. A proper single turbo and a proper tune will ensure quick spool and it will feel like you're getting rear ended by a train instead of just a slight kick in the pants.

Big turbo, low boost, conservative tune, short charge piping... win.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Anything is possible. Personally the only problem I see would be the exhaust piping after the turbos. There is enough room for two turbos there but the DP would be the biggest issue.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
I disagree with this. A proper single turbo and a proper tune will ensure quick spool and it will feel like you're getting rear ended by a train instead of just a slight kick in the pants.

Big turbo, low boost, conservative tune, short charge piping... win.
Look at Tommy Bahn's Supra dyno sheet (I have pics of it, but I'm at work can't use FB), compare it to other supras with the same power. (1400-1500rwhp w/o Nawzzzz).

And that feeling of getting kicked in the rear end is just dumb (but fun), it's like those kids who set their VTEC back to feel more of a kick, you're missing out on power.

Also take a look at Mullet's Ford GT Dyno.

Hell, if that Solara in the other car forum could work out it's problems in it's powerband and make that TQ useful it'd be naaassstttyyyyyyyy.

Twin charged cars just make a MUCH better powerband than any single could.

It's basic 2 > 1, but like I said before, it's much EASIER to do it with one.

Now, this is all opinionated, some people prefer rollercoaster dynos for lulz, but for my purposes (track) I'd rather a smooth predictable flat tq curve then some rollercoaster VTEC curve.

And thennnnnnnn you have to remember this is going on a Maxima and he's probably not going anywhere near as far as the two guys I mentioned, in which the Single would better.

If I were to boost a Maxima, it'd be twin though for the aforementioned reasons.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-04-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

If you have to ask how hard this would be, your not ready.

/thread.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM

Look at Tommy Bahn's Supra dyno sheet (I have pics of it, but I'm at work can't use FB), compare it to other supras with the same power. (1400-1500rwhp w/o Nawzzzz).

And that feeling of getting kicked in the rear end is just dumb (but fun), it's like those kids who set their VTEC back to feel more of a kick, you're missing out on power.

Also take a look at Mullet's Ford GT Dyno.

Hell, if that Solara in the other car forum could work out it's problems in it's powerband and make that TQ useful it'd be naaassstttyyyyyyyy.

Twin charged cars just make a MUCH better powerband than any single could.

It's basic 2 > 1, but like I said before, it's much EASIER to do it with one.

Now, this is all opinionated, some people prefer rollercoaster dynos for lulz, but for my purposes (track) I'd rather a smooth predictable flat tq curve then some rollercoaster VTEC curve.

And thennnnnnnn you have to remember this is going on a Maxima and he's probably not going anywhere near as far as the two guys I mentioned, in which the Single would better.

If I were to boost a Maxima, it'd be twin though for the aforementioned reasons.
Well, there are other tools to circumvent the lag, when it comes to area under the curve, quick spool valve, ALS, more timing, short charge pipes, blah blah blah...

Using compressor maps can help find the turbo you need to make a desired amount of power, without having to go with something awfully big.

I found this kind of interesting...

A L28et with a "BIG" 66mm compressor and a big and heavy P-trim exhaust wheel can eliminate lag by choosing a small a/r on the exhaust housing. Yes, you sacrifice a little top-end but with a 66mm wheel for 2.8L, how much does that amount to? For me, I run a 63mm compressor and P-trim exhaust but use a .63 exhaust housing and I can spin my tires at 60mph with a downshift. Another big factor that causes lag with big singles is being too rich in the lower RPMs. I try to run as lean as possible in the 1st 2 gears then add fuel on the top-end when the load increases. That is the beauty of a programmable system.
My point is, it's very dependent on setup. The way technology for a modern single turbo developed allows for a lot greater flexibility as far as area under the curve is concerned. If I were to build a boosted Maxima, I'd go single, good tune, short charge pipes, and if I still have lag I would just brake boost.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
If you have to ask how hard this would be, your not ready.

/thread.
+1

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
if I still have lag I would just brake boost.
Ah of course
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM

And the easy way is just getting one of each
Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 PM

buy them, sell one...?