5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about fuel pressure regulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question about fuel pressure regulators

Hi,

I've read on the 4th gens, if you want to hook up a gauge to read pressure, all you have to do is tap into the line on the fuel filter. But since our car's is located in-tank, where would I tap into? I see two FPRs, I assume one is for the line in and one is for the return, can anyone explain why that is (i.e. 4-cylinder cars only have one)? So, if I want to switch to an adjustable FPR, I assume I would have to replace both. I'm asking all this because my car is knocking, and the dealer has already replace the coils. So, I think my car might be running too lean sometimes? I was a diesel mechanic in the Army and I have no idea how these engine work :-P Thanks in advance!

Johnny
Old 12-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Got Bent?

do you have any mods? your engine should not be pinging... have you tried switching to a different brand of gas?
Old 12-27-2001, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
do you have any mods? your engine should not be pinging... have you tried switching to a different brand of gas?
No mods, tried different brands of gas, all 91 octane. The car really started detonating after I put in a bottle of chevron injector cleaners. It's been knocking more ever since :-( And it can start doing it whenever it wants to. I can be coming off the freeway offramp with no stress on the engine and it knocks. I can be going up a hill sometimes and it doesn't knock. Its some weird ****. My 96 SE did this also.... I'm just very unlucky when it comes to buying cars. This car had the engine light come on the night I bought it :-|
Old 12-27-2001, 12:50 PM
Administrator

i run 93 all the time but your engine shouldn't be knocking.. is it a ping or a ticking? if its ticking thats a totally different story..

maybe you have a weak fuel pump? i would get a FP gauge and see what the pressure is..
Old 12-27-2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i run 93 all the time but your engine shouldn't be knocking.. is it a ping or a ticking? if its ticking thats a totally different story..

maybe you have a weak fuel pump? i would get a FP gauge and see what the pressure is..
I wanted to ask the same question as N1sMO. My Max is doing that sometimes too, and it is not on heavy charge either whn I hear it. Seems to happen randomly..Thought about the octane too. Tried different brands, always premium, but it still happens...(although I heard that canadian gas is cheap compared to US gas).

SprintMax, what do you mean by "ping" or "ticking"? I always referred this problem as wrong ignition timing (which I call "pinging"). What do you call "ticking"? Is it a different problem and different solution?

Sorry if it seems a stupid question, but I looked over FAQ and I did not find anything about that....
Old 12-27-2001, 03:17 PM
Got Bent?

pinging sounds like a bunch of marbles being shook up in a tin can.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
pinging sounds like a bunch of marbles being shook up in a tin can.
I agree. That "sounds" like my understanding of "pinging"...

What's the sing for ticking?
Old 12-27-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by 2MAX

I agree. That "sounds" like my understanding of "pinging"...

What's the sing for ticking?
My car ticks and pings :-) This car ticks like a ****, sounds like a diesel engine almost. I don't know if it's the valves or if it is a leak. I found this washer looking thing in between my exhaust manifold, and the engine block and I thought that would prove that it was an exhaust leak. Took a picture of it and gave it to the service department and they told me it was the ear to the gasket? Whatever... anyway, they replaced my coils and it is still ticking and pinging. I've used nothing but premium unleaded and I have not done a single thing to the engine because I was fearing this situation would happen where I would have to use my warranty. But I doubt if Nissan will ever fix this, and it is 2 for 2 that this has happened to me. My 96 Maxima had the same problem. I'm sure more people would notice this if they would drive with their window rolled down and drive along a wall or something that would reflect sound. I don't seem to have a problem with power, I dynoed my car with the Sentra guys at R&D Dyno Service and it pulled 181 hp. That's about right for a stock y2k 5-speed.

Anyway, back to my original question. How do I mount a gauge for the 5th gen. I've read how to do it for the 4th but the mounting point is unavailable for our cars. I think I would have to tap into the fuel line before the back FPR (the one that is in front of the fuel rail that feeds to the rear cylinders), as I think that is the in line. Somebody please help! I want to fix this **** before the next semester starts.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:53 AM

I know with a y pipe you can hear the ticking sounds more, most likely the fuel injector ticking.