5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Motor Mounts

I realize this has been posted/asked/beat into the ground before, however, I need some assistance in clearing up some questions so that I can get this project completed.

I have a 2002 AT...here's issue:

I would like to replace both torque mounts (the one behind the radiator and the one by the firewall). Now I've read that the other two mounts (the one by the passenger side fender-well and the one located under the air intake) don't really need replacing since they don't get as much abuse as the two torque mounts.

Now my question is, which mount is it that is electric on my car? The one under the air intake that I won't be replacing?

Now back to the two torque mounts that I want to replace...can I just simply remove the cross member that has the two mounts attached to it and just leave the engine hanging by the other two mounts? Once the cross member is out I need to have the old inserts pressed out and the new ES one pressed in. Now...can I use these

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.1114

as my new inserts for the two torque mounts that I want to replace? I see that they say for the manual transmission...do I need to fill one of them or do this bushings not even fit the two mounts I am wanting to replace?

If someone could please clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm racking my brain trying to get all of this figured out and it seems to be getting me no where. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Search. This question comes up too often.

To your "which one is electric" question, have you looked under your car? Or have you compared the picture of an automatic motor mount to a manual one? This is also info available by searching.

Finally, to the actual install: jack/support the engine under the oil pan. I put a 2x4" between the jack and pan to distribute the load more evenly and prevent denting the pan.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 AM

The mounts are the hardware, the inserts are the bushings. Torque Mounts are the ones that see the most stress, being on the sides of the engine... which in our transverse-mounted configuration, is at the firewall and radiator.

MT torque mount bushings are solid, whereas AT torque mount bushings are electronic and fluid-filled.

ES makes replacement torque mount bushings for the 6MT only. AFAIK, no one makes replacement bushings for the non-torque mounts (Passenger-side and Transmission Mount). If you purchase the OEM mounts from the dealership, they will come with the bushings already pressed in. The non-torque mounts w/bushings are about $100/ea USD.

The ES torque mount bushings are too small for your AT mounts. So if you're determined to get ES bushings, you'll need to replace the entire mount with one from a junkyard from a MT car. Or you could get creative and fabricate a collar to make up the fitment, like this one here made for Ghost_54 by knight_yyz:

As was just said, all this info and a slew of photos are available here with research. But that's a fair summary right there.

Cool?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Cute...gotta love babies.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM

You might as well replace all the mounts, since the the passenger side mount and tranny mount are cheap on ebay around 30$ each.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by bullet187
You might as well replace all the mounts, since the the passenger side mount and tranny mount are cheap on ebay around 30$ each.
You mean all the inserts?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You mean all the inserts?
No, only the torque mounts need inserts. Not that front and tranny mount.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 PM

so yea i have a 2002 At and am going to be doing this soon as well... im almost 100% sure i have this right now...Your going to need this mount:
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...CHOR_8865.html

its from a 1996 maxima MT. $30.79

Then youre going to need the ES Torque mounts. i ordered mine from my local autozone, it should be in the store tomorrow, and its 79.99.

Apparently, the passenger and transmission mounts rarely go bad, so you do not need to change them, however if you wanted to you can. i will Be doing mine but not now maybe in a month or so.

Also, i am going to change my subframe bushings while im there, and you should also.

Total cost 80 for bushings, ~40 for mount, and 22 for subframe bushings.

~150... Am I right?