5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

They claim they lost my keys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They claim they lost my keys...

The guys who did my SC also claim they lost my keys. I think its a scam...its a performance shop where you have a bunch of young dudes into cars so I'm afraid they might try something even though they offered to pay for it. Anyway...I called Nissan and they say they can "reprogram" my current keys so I dont have to but three new ones and also reprogram the computer in the car to recognize the new coding in the keys. This was good news because I was afraid I would have to replace everything locks n all!! Does anyone know about this and what I should expect from Nissan in terms of charges and service? Holla back...

Deac
Old 12-28-2001, 06:58 AM

Re: They claim they lost my keys...

Originally posted by Deac
The guys who did my SC also claim they lost my keys. I think its a scam...its a performance shop where you have a bunch of young dudes into cars so I'm afraid they might try something even though they offered to pay for it. Anyway...I called Nissan and they say they can "reprogram" my current keys so I dont have to but three new ones and also reprogram the computer in the car to recognize the new coding in the keys. This was good news because I was afraid I would have to replace everything locks n all!! Does anyone know about this and what I should expect from Nissan in terms of charges and service? Holla back...

Deac
Ouch! I had had my car for a month and lost my keys for the very first time in my life. The salesman reprogramed my remote for me (he said service dept. would charge me $45 to do it) and I had to have an extra key made. It cost $65.00 dollars for one key! My husband lost his BMW key and had a new one made and it cost him $45.00. It took about 30 minutes to get the key cut because the said the machine was not working right. They said it normally only takes a few minutes. The salesman programmed the remote in less than 5 minutes. Good Luck.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:09 AM

Re: They claim they lost my keys...

Deac
Correct me if I'm wrong, but then don't the bozos still have a key that works your car? (assuming they didn't lose it)

Stereodude
Old 12-28-2001, 07:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hmmmmmmm...... they sound shady. I would get the keys reprogrammed ASAP since they have your address in their files.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:20 AM

Re: Re: They claim they lost my keys...

Originally posted by Stereodude

Correct me if I'm wrong, but then don't the bozos still have a key that works your car? (assuming they didn't lose it)

Stereodude
I hope you will force the bozos to pay for the reprogramming?....
Old 12-28-2001, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Check the ODO reading of the last time..

you know they could magically find your keys after 500 magical miles appear on your ODO
Old 12-28-2001, 07:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Forgot to mention this..... but they still can open your doors, pop our hood, and steal your goodies.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Shops in Houston

I've heard of similar scams with shops in Houston, specifically Hocus Pocus. When you sign up at these shops, I suggest using a fake address so if they steal your key, they won't know where to find you.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hocus Pocus

Now you see your car... now you don't.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Hocus Pocus

Now you see your car... now you don't.
Definately get your keys and computer reprogrammed with new codes. This will render the old keys useless in the ignition. But keep in mind that they can still open the doors. You may want to fill out a report in your local police station. Just walk in and file a report about the loss of your keys by that shop. It's good fire power if suddenly your car starts losing parts overnight. You might be able to go after the shop with probable cause if anything happens.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

Get the whole car re-keyed and make the shop pay for the work. What other choice is there?
Old 12-28-2001, 09:25 AM

I'm going to do the reprogramming today...

Forgot to mention this..... but they still can open your doors, pop our hood, and steal your goodies.
I can live with them still being able to open the doors but since the keys are reprogrammed and the alarm is disabled by the original key's coding, when they reprogram the keys, the alarm wont recognize the original coding so...they'll be able to unlock the doors but the alarm should go off now right?

Deac
Old 12-28-2001, 09:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I'm going to do the reprogramming today...

I can live with them still being able to open the doors but since the keys are reprogrammed and the alarm is disabled by the original key's coding, when they reprogram the keys, the alarm wont recognize the original coding so...they'll be able to unlock the doors but the alarm should go off now right?

Deac
If they can open your doors then they can pop your hood and take the blower (they can also take the stuff from your trunk). The alarm will not go off if you use the key to unlock the door.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:56 AM

Re: Re: I'm going to do the reprogramming today...

If they can open your doors then they can pop your hood and take the blower (they can also take the stuff from your trunk). The alarm will not go off if you use the key to unlock the door.
Guess its time for me to finally piggy-back my stock alarm system w/a shock sensor! I thought the alram was coded w/the keys!!!
Old 12-28-2001, 09:59 AM
Got Bent?

shady shady shady
Old 12-28-2001, 10:11 AM

Make claim with the police now and say you want to do it as a precaution. This way tell the shop you did it and maybe the "lost" keys that somone may have been planning on using withh dissapear for good.

SuDZ
Old 12-28-2001, 01:48 PM

police report.

Originally posted by SuDZ
Make claim with the police now and say you want to do it as a precaution. This way tell the shop you did it and maybe the "lost" keys that somone may have been planning on using withh dissapear for good.

SuDZ
have to agree. making a police report will make anyone w/ the mind to rip anything off have a second though since the police already know where the key was "lost" (make sure the shop knows the report was made). stock keys only keep the car from being started. someone can even break open the windows, but as long as they don't open the door, nothing w/ go off (is that right?).

kafene
Old 12-28-2001, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: I'm going to do the reprogramming today...

Guess its time for me to finally piggy-back my stock alarm system w/a shock sensor! I thought the alram was coded w/the keys!!!

Me too, i see that cheap *** Nissan can't even make a normall good alarm system for a 30k car, man what a suck *** quilty service
Old 12-28-2001, 05:09 PM

raise some HELL, or what i would do, go to the nissan dealership, make a friend, and get them to put the price of the key as $250, then get the shop to pay for it, i bet the key magically appears when you show them that, the police will also help in that situation. to me, it wouldn't be the cost of the key, i would be afraid of them taking stuff from my car, especially if i just had a s/c installed, shady indeed

p.s. scratch your name or something on the s/c, and other valuable parts, never know if these parts turn up at the shop again, might help if "THIS S/C IS STOLEN" was on it.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:16 PM

sucks

sucks to hear about it buddy
Old 12-28-2001, 05:23 PM
Telus.net

Okay,

I don't know about you, but whenever I had my car in the shop, they would just take the key, no other keys nor remote, just the key for the car. Even if they lost your key, couldn't you have a spare key and drive your car home?

Old 12-28-2001, 06:12 PM

dude.........read more carefully!!!! He has no problem driving the car home, he is just worry about they come to steal his car or parts from his car, because they know where he lives!!!!
Old 12-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Telus.net

oh my!

That's a pretty ****ed up world!

Old 12-28-2001, 08:36 PM
Granny Driven

Do everything above.

Good luck!