5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Header owners please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:36 PM
The original VQ...

Header owners please chime in

Hey guys, I recently installed my obx v2 headers. Used 2 brand new nissan gaskets on the manifolds not the obx ones.

Im getting a noise that is driving me nuts, if I rev and the RPMS drop i hear like tisk tisk tiskk noise.

Kinda sounds like a leak but im not sure, cant seem to find it.

Few of my buddies checked it out for a second opinion but we still didnt come to a conclusion.
One of my buddies said it could just be the sound of the exhaust and the thin pipe tubing.

Anyone else have this sound with thier headers ?

Im going nuts its just been one thing after another with this car...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM
The original VQ...

anyone

Its hard to explain the sound, ill try to take a vid tomoro so you guys get a better idea of what im talking about . . .

but anyone have any input ?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM

If the car pulls nicely and it doesn't sound like a loud exhaust leak, then I wouldn't worry about it. I put on a brand new Walker cat-back last month, and now I have a funny metallic sound at part acceleration. Used cars will make funny noises. That's the conclusion I came to. If you can't feel exhaust coming from any particular area, then it's more than likely some other sound.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Some times header bolts will back out a bit from the vibration and expanding and contracting due to heating up so much and then cooling down.When ever i installed longtubes on any my mustangs i used a stage 8 locking header bolts with the little locking c clips..check the torque specs of the header bolts to make sure, Even one loose one and you will hear it.Kind of of topic but i saw in an old post that Don Slowhawk tuned your old v..His shop is 5 minutes up the street from me, He's nasty with the f body and LS cars...I seen a couple of your youtube vids, what exhaust were you running on your merlot 5.5 ?..That car was loud man but sounded pretty stout..Looks like you took out a few quick cars with it wahat were the mods ?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM

on my hotshots after i installed them i heard a slight hiss when driving and stuff...drove me crazy thinking it was a leak and looked almost everyday to see if their was one...only to find out its normal that usually the flex section causes(as so i heard)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

sounds like your gonnna need to get back in and tighten up like was already stated. i ended up having to retighten the rear bank on mine about three times.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by 036mtmax
Some times header bolts will back out a bit from the vibration and expanding and contracting due to heating up so much and then cooling down.When ever i installed longtubes on any my mustangs i used a stage 8 locking header bolts with the little locking c clips..check the torque specs of the header bolts to make sure, Even one loose one and you will hear it.Kind of of topic but i saw in an old post that Don Slowhawk tuned your old v..His shop is 5 minutes up the street from me, He's nasty with the f body and LS cars...I seen a couple of your youtube vids, what exhaust were you running on your merlot 5.5 ?..That car was loud man but sounded pretty stout..Looks like you took out a few quick cars with it wahat were the mods ?
The merlot had hotshots with a test pipe and custom 2.5" catback, that car hauled I miss it. The dyno numbers werent as high as some of the other 3.5s on this forum ( I was in high 230s from what I remeber) But it really moved I think I just tunned on a low reading dyno.

Slowhawk is a good and smart guy, when I buy another F-body one day Im going through him for advice and tuning for sure.

Im also getting that hiss noise some of you mentioned, at WOT on the highway the hisss noise is really noticeable. Driving me nuts !

The thing that bothers me most is im getting some oder in the car with the a/c on, ive got about 400 miles on the headers so far. Is the smell im getting just the new metal?

Cause it kind of smell like emissions but I cant tell.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 AM

My friend has cattman headers nd his would hiss, suppositly its perfectly normal, same wit my friends civic w/ skunk2
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 AM
The original VQ...

Just to update, I removed both headers and it looks like the left and right corners had a very minnor leak on the rear manifold. ( bolts were tight as hell with a brand new oem gasket )

So I put two cuts in the obx flanges to seperate the collectors (like the OEM stockers are with 3 seprate flanges)

I also took some 1200 grit sandpaper and went over the heads to try to get any imperfections off were the face of the headers sit.

Now Im just waiting for new gaskets to arrive before I re-install
Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
The merlot had hotshots with a test pipe and custom 2.5" catback, that car hauled I miss it. The dyno numbers werent as high as some of the other 3.5s on this forum ( I was in high 230s from what I remeber) But it really moved I think I just tunned on a low reading dyno.

Slowhawk is a good and smart guy, when I buy another F-body one day Im going through him for advice and tuning for sure.

Im also getting that hiss noise some of you mentioned, at WOT on the highway the hisss noise is really noticeable. Driving me nuts !

The thing that bothers me most is im getting some oder in the car with the a/c on, ive got about 400 miles on the headers so far. Is the smell im getting just the new metal?

Cause it kind of smell like emissions but I cant tell.

Yea Don is really good at tuning.My friend has a lightly built 00 ss with 150 shot and has been spraying it for like 5 years now with no problems and it's got 130k on it now and he swears alot has to do with Don's tune.Consistent 10.80's too but he just swapped his 6 speed for a built turbo 400..fail...The smell you are getting in the car was probably from the exhaust leak in the engine bay making it's way into the car from the hvac system.Throw the new gaskets in and it should take care of it.Glad you found the problem man keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Those OEMs manifold gasket are re-usable!!!!!!