5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 gen throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM

5.5 gen throttle body cleaning

ok, I did a lot of searching and found that this will most likely fix my low idle/car dying problem, however, I see that I can do a lot more damage than good, if i move the butterfly then I'll kill the throttle positioning sensor. Is there a way to do this safely and correctly, I really don't want to go to the stealership and pay them when there's always the possibility that this will not fix my issue. Can anyone advise? I'm sure there are other people who would benefit from this knowledge.
thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:48 AM

Did you really search? There is a procedure for doing it with ignition on -in gear and out the pedal down and it will open by its self. Also try the IA relearn procedure and the ECU reset first.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...10-w-pics.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ly-yes-no.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...body-pics.html
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
Did you really search? There is a procedure for doing it with ignition on -in gear and out the pedal down and it will open by its self. Also try the IA relearn procedure and the ECU reset first.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...10-w-pics.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ly-yes-no.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...body-pics.html
I like this guy (nohomo )

I've always been against people condoning it. Maybe I've been lucky, but Ive done it enough times that I see no issue/problem with doing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Im going to try it. i l will let u know what happens..lol
Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 AM

success!!!!
took air tube off, key to "on" position, in gear 1, throttle opened nicely, crc throttle body cleaner sprayed liberally, wiped the inside of the throttle body WITHOUT touching the butterfly (dirty as f@k), put everything back together, idle problem fixed!!!
to anyone thinking about doing it, my $.02 is go ahead and do it just do NOT touch the butterfly...
Thank you .org for all the info and help!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Wow and no ses lights?

Did you take pics sir?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 09-06-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by infiniti medic
Wow and no ses lights?

Did you take pics sir?
Yea no weird rpm jumps, no ses light, nothing but perfect idle

sorry I didn't take pics, but it's pretty straightforward, I just made sure not to touch the butterfly and its fine
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 PM

yeah, I heard that if you touch the butterfly valve, that it will need the whole idle relearn procedure to work well. I think that it is due to the sensor being accustomed to the way the valve closed with all the carbon build up. when it is cleaned, it now closes fully, the sensor gets confused (no longer stops at the position it has deemed as normal, probably causing it to send different signal/voltage/whatever to the ecu). This causes the SES, since the ecu sees it as a fault.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 PM

did u spray the cleaner into the throttlebody at any time or did you spray it on a cloth and wiped it? What did u clean really, jus the inside wall of the throttle body?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 AM

You can move the butterfly valve as much as you want with the car off. Just do the idle relearn or you will have a higher than normal idle after you clean it. You don't have to have the car on and the pedal to the ground to keep the valve open. This is a myth that dates back to the days where people were buying new ECU's and throttle bodies because they weren't aware of the proper relearn procedure.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
You can move the butterfly valve as much as you want with the car off. Just do the idle relearn or you will have a higher than normal idle after you clean it. You don't have to have the car on and the pedal to the ground to keep the valve open. This is a myth that dates back to the days where people were buying new ECU's and throttle bodies because they weren't aware of the proper relearn procedure.
If it's a myth, then it's a working on. It worked good for bocian. The relearning procedure can be an exasperating (and usually unsuccessful) endeavour. It's a myth for those who have tried it without success.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Costee
If it's a myth, then it's a working on. It worked good for bocian. The relearning procedure can be an exasperating (and usually unsuccessful) endeavour. It's a myth for those who have tried it without success.
It's astounding to me how forum discussions about modern engine managements systems can seem so similar to forum discussions about religion.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by buddywh1
It's astounding to me how forum discussions about modern engine managements systems can seem so similar to forum discussions about religion.
Searched the dictionaries, I found no rigid connotations between myth and religion.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Searched the dictionaries, I found no rigid connotations between myth and religion.
Did you search the dictionary to find a connotation between myth and TPS relearning procedures? Cause I'm curious as to the relationship: how can one perfectly reasonable person say something works well... and another say it doesn't?

Is it in perspective? alignment of the planets?

OHH... if only there were a book we could refer to that would give us the ANSWER... a BIBLE as it were? OHHH what could that be?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxx0831
did u spray the cleaner into the throttlebody at any time or did you spray it on a cloth and wiped it? What did u clean really, jus the inside wall of the throttle body?
i sprayed it liberally into the throttle body because i saw that as i was spraying it was taking the gunk off of the butterfly too making it shine again, then i sprayed the inner walls where the butterfly meets them and wiped the inner walls with a cotton, lint free, cloth several times and each time the part where i wiped was black as can be on the cloth, did that until it was clean and it was a total success

i dont know if you can touch the butterfly with out causing harm but i read enough to know that its probably better not to so i didnt and im in the clear and idle is perfect, i wish this was the case for all but i see that it might not quite be, its your call if you wanna do it, i just want to let people know that i did and it worked flawlessly
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 AM

how can one perfectly reasonable person say something works well... and another say it doesn't?
Now this is incredible. You mean everything that works for you must ipso facto work for everyone else?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by bocian
i sprayed it liberally into the throttle body because i saw that as i was spraying it was taking the gunk off of the butterfly too making it shine again, then i sprayed the inner walls where the butterfly meets them and wiped the inner walls with a cotton, lint free, cloth several times and each time the part where i wiped was black as can be on the cloth, did that until it was clean and it was a total success

i dont know if you can touch the butterfly with out causing harm but i read enough to know that its probably better not to so i didnt and im in the clear and idle is perfect, i wish this was the case for all but i see that it might not quite be, its your call if you wanna do it, i just want to let people know that i did and it worked flawlessly
Very well said bocian.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 AM

...You mean everything that works for you must ipso facto work for everyone else?
Indeed not! It is precisely that is which makes this seem a religious experience.

We genuflect at the alter of the almighty HorsePower... and we pray to the Wrench Gods, we give sacrifice to the Priestesses of the Fluids and the Oils... and we stand back in awe to behold our rewards of Burning Rubber! But lo! All is for naught, we hang our heads sadly as it coughs and sputters and spews back at us in flaming retribution! Another holy NoWay, another false procedure proven to be myth! We must go again into the wilds of the unruly and unclean, the ignoble InterNets, to read more Sermons on the Forums and separate the myths from the OneTrueProcedure that will calm the wrath of the Wrench Gods.

I am saying there must be a procedure, developed by the engineers that designed the system and proven in their labs, garages and manufacturing facility, published in a service manual that works. Infallibly. Surely??

Or am I wrong and it IS just as mysterious as a wiccan rite of spring.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by buddywh1; 09-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 AM

I am saying there must be a procedure, developed by the engineers that designed the system and proven in their labs, garages and manufacturing facility, published in a service manual that works. Infallibly. Surely??
Pal, I like the way you put your last word. Science advances from the mistake of it's previous past.

OP sorry for the digression. I return to the theme of the thread hereinafter.

Last edited by Costee; 09-08-2011 at 07:55 AM.