5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some advice car pulling right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Need some advice car pulling right?

i have an 01 maxii and whenever i floor the car or put it above 3k rpm and the car shifts the wheel turns slightly and if i dont catch it the car pulls right or if it doesnt do that when i let go of the accelerator the car does the same thing.. i just got new tires but i didnt get an allignment done would that be the cause? it was happening before the tires but it wasnt as bad? now its getting to my nerves. any help is appreciated thank you

EDIT: also when i floor it sometimes ( i dont do it often just to test the power ) my brake and battery lights flash lol normally thats an alternator from what im told? but i got it checked out and they said that its normal? why does it do this!!!

Last edited by xshadow715; 09-03-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Try an alignment, if that doesn't fix your problem, then the torque is kicking in. But I'll wait on other members replies.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Sounds like you've got a bad tierod. I would say if it only does it under heavy acceleration it's most likely the inner tie rod. Might as well do them both. You'll need an alignment after that for certain.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Sounds like you've got a bad tierod. I would say if it only does it under heavy acceleration it's most likely the inner tie rod. Might as well do them both. You'll need an alignment after that for certain.
i chnged the tirerod last year i dont think that would be the problem this soon would it?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 PM

It wouldn't hurt to get it aligned. Take it to a reputable shop you can trust and they should be honest with you when they look up under your car and inspect the steering and suspension.

Torque steer can also cause this as mentioned. Another possible cause is the road itself. We run into this question alot where I work at when customers bring in their cars because of it pulling right. Roads are usually designed with a crown, where it will be higher in the center and slope down to the left and right sides to allow for water drainage. Depending on how aggressive the crown is, it can make your car pull either just a little bit or alot.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
It wouldn't hurt to get it aligned. Take it to a reputable shop you can trust and they should be honest with you when they look up under your car and inspect the steering and suspension.

Torque steer can also cause this as mentioned. Another possible cause is the road itself. We run into this question alot where I work at when customers bring in their cars because of it pulling right. Roads are usually designed with a crown, where it will be higher in the center and slope down to the left and right sides to allow for water drainage. Depending on how aggressive the crown is, it can make your car pull either just a little bit or alot.
See the thing is im at school and i dont trust any shops up here.. and wont be going back home untill november and im to OCD about my car to wit till then to get it chnged you knw?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by xshadow715
See the thing is im at school and i dont trust any shops up here.. and wont be going back home untill november and im to OCD about my car to wit till then to get it chnged you knw?
My advise then would be to ask your friends that you go to school with who own cars where they go when they need work done. Alignments for our cars aren't that difficult to do for someone that is trained to do it all day long. The rear beam axle doesn't even have any alignment adjustments as far as I know.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM

I am a mechanic for a living. the problem you are having could be any number of things. it could most likely be torque steer. does this happen only when you are you are hard on the throttle. if it happens all of the time i would say it it an alignment issue., but because it isn't it most possibly is torque steer. but unless the car is driven by a mechanic to verify the problem, explaining what is happening is only going to get you so far. like it was said before you should have the car professionally looked at to be sure of this problem, there is only so much that can be done without having the car in our hands to look at.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Did your old tires show any signs of abnormal tire wear? That's a dead giveaway that your alignment is off. Also, incorrect tire pressures can cause a car to pull. Mismatched tires can as well. You don't necessarily have to get an alignment when you get new tires if they are wearing properly. There's been several times where I replaced tires without an anignment. However, it usually is a good rule of thumb to get the alignment done at least once or twice a year, depending on how much you drive and how rough the roads are, if you plow over speed bumps, etc. As Super Shadow said, there is only so much that can be done without having the car looked at.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM

wow good call on the pressure issue. i have seen a few people that say they're call pulls to one direction or another, and it turns out one tire was cranked way up high(60-70 psi) and it pulled the opposite direction. but as i said it happend all the time whereas you say it is only under hard acceleration. if you do figure it out let us know what it was.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Super Shadow
If you do figure it out let us know what it was.
Keep us posted on what you find out with your pulling situation.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by xshadow715
i chnged the tirerod last year i dont think that would be the problem this soon would it?
Which one?