5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Transmission Install Advice

Whats up everyone, my autotragic transmission failed 2 days ago. Picked up a low mileage tranny yesterday off an nycmaximas member. Today I dropped out my tranny but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the new tranny in place. I'd like any advice you guys could offer on getting the tranny back up in there.

Also someone told me I should put the torque converter in the transmission then bolt it up after its on. Not sure about this but my torque converter is already still on there and I don't want to take it off unless I really ought to. Soo let me know what you all think.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Try lowering the crossmember side of the engine at an angle with a jack in place. Stabbing the tranny at that angle made a night and day difference. I had it at a good 15°. Once it's mated, throw a couple bolts in place and slowly raise the jack until the engine is at its resting position.

As far as the torque converter? I'm not exactly sure. I have a fun transmission. However, it seems it would be quite difficult to bolt it in after the trans has been raised.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Try lowering the crossmember side of the engine at an angle with a jack in place. Stabbing the tranny at that angle made a night and day difference. I had it at a good 15°. Once it's mated, throw a couple bolts in place and slowly raise the jack until the engine is at its resting position.

As far as the torque converter? I'm not exactly sure. I have a fun transmission. However, it seems it would be quite difficult to bolt it in after the trans has been raised.
I wish I could afford a fun transmission right now sigh. Picked up this auto for 275 though. Ebay manual mounts were gone so I just ordered some ES inserts. Entire crossmember is out atm.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:29 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Right. So with the engine only attached to the front mount(passenger fender well), lower the rear(trans side) of the engine quite a bit. You should be able to follow a shared axis between the engine and trans this way rather than trying to mate them with one slanted in respect to the other.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you're saying that your converter is still bolted on to the flywheel, then you def. need to take it of the engine and install it in the transmission BEFORE you try to mount the transmission to the engine. Make sure you get the converter seated as far into the tranny before trying to install the transmission. It has to go in somewhat freely without exterior force otherwise you'll damage the pump. Do not try to force the converter into the tranny by tightening on the tranny bolts as that will damage the pump.

Once you have the converter installed in the tranny, jack up the tranny at a slight angle to prevent the converter from sliding out and carefully match the alignment pins to the engine. Make sure tranny goes on flush before tightening the bolts.

Before installing the tranny, check and make sure the two aligning pins are secure and not rusty.

Clean both the engine and transmission mounting surfaces to remove rust/corrosion.

Take your time. No need to rush and break something as I'm sure you do not want to do this over again.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Order new seals!!!!! Not only the axles, but the oil pump seal. This is the seal that goes around the torque converter. when you put this seal on, wait until the tranny is ready to go in before you put the TC on the seal. Otherwise you will egg out the seal. Not explaining it well, but when you see it, you will understand.....
Don't go the cheap route and ignore it. You WILL pay for it later in leaks, and much easier to do with the tranny out. The 4 TC bolts are a bit of a pita to get out and reinstall, but like above says, you don't want to damage the pump
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Anyone happen to have a part number or quick how to on changing the seal?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Broke the tranny pump.