5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sigh, Velocity Stack Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Been looking for a You Tube video as well on the repair but haven't found anything yet
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Been looking for a You Tube video as well on the repair but haven't found anything yet
It's not a video, but I don't see why it wouldn't be more than enough information to get this done. I'll be waiting for your repair post... Tonight.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Well it won't be done tonite, but I should be able to get to it by the weekend.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
It's actually a pretty simple fix. My advice, definitely get new screws/hardware before hand. I used Allen heads which made re-installation SO much easier, using a ball end Allen wrench vs. Phillips head screw driver. To remove the Junk OEM screws get a Phillips head that fits perfectly, clamp a Vice-Grip to the shaft and apply FIRM downward pressure on the screw using the Vice-Grip to turn the screw. Or the OEM screw-heads will strip before you can say "AW $#!+". Use the original 24hr cure JBWeld. And label all the hoses well. I used masking tape which fell off 1 hose and left me puzzled for a while, since it wasn't shown in the FSM.
What thread pitch/size were the allen heads that you used?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM

So I'm assuming from this picture that the shaft that the cup attaches to looks notched, so that the cup with the notched side will align up with the power rod correctly so it will open and close in it's proper rotation?

It's hard to tell in this pic since it looks like there is JB Weld inside the cup, so I can't see the rod that the cup goes on to.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM

What thread pitch/size were the allen heads that you used?
M6x1.00 pitch 20mm long. See this MAXIMA.ORG thread for more info. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ias-stuff.html
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM

M6x1.00 pitch 20mm long. See this MAXIMA.ORG thread for more info. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ias-stuff.html
Thanks again for the info. I think I came across that particular thread before, but I disregarded it thinking it was for the VIAS 3.5 engine, not the 00VI for the De-K's.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM

The hole in my cup was stripped. But I could still only fit it over the nipple in one particular position which did not correspond to the pictures above.

It's possible that it wasn't welded on perfectly straight or that it somehow was made to fit over and then rotated a bit. So i aligned it as similar as possible with the pictures above and hope that the guy wasn't pulling on the lever in that last picture.

I also figured out my lower swirl valve problem. The valves only close between 15 and 50 degrees celsius water temp.. Below and above that they're constantly open. This is really stupid. So they are only closed for like 3 minutes at most during regular operation.

Hmmm now time to start tricksing with the eManage. I wonder whether I have any gains when I tell the ECU it's actually only 45 degrees warm.. Of course I have to adjust the fans to come on much earlier than too...

EDIT:
Lol, the water temp adjustment map is to adjust the injectors not the output of the water temp.....
So stupid. Since the valves are open the entire time anyways why are they even in there? Just to rob performance by restricting the flow...

Last edited by McSteve; 09-28-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by McSteve
The hole in my cup was stripped. But I could still only fit it over the nipple in one particular position which did not correspond to the pictures above.

It's possible that it wasn't welded on perfectly straight or that it somehow was made to fit over and then rotated a bit. So i aligned it as similar as possible with the pictures above and hope that the guy wasn't pulling on the lever in that last picture.

I also figured out my lower swirl valve problem. The valves only close between 15 and 50 degrees celsius water temp.. Below and above that they're constantly open. This is really stupid. So they are only closed for like 3 minutes at most during regular operation.

Hmmm now time to start tricksing with the eManage. I wonder whether I have any gains when I tell the ECU it's actually only 45 degrees warm.. Of course I have to adjust the fans to come on much earlier than too...

EDIT:
Lol, the water temp adjustment map is to adjust the injectors not the output of the water temp.....
So stupid. Since the valves are open the entire time anyways why are they even in there? Just to rob performance by restricting the flow...
It sounds like the swirl valves were designed to operate like a carburetor choke for cold weather starts. But since the (water) temp operating range is between 15-50 degrees C (59-122 degrees F) it must be some sort of emissions gimmick.

Another question about the intake repair. Did you notice any audible difference from broken vs. fixed? When I had my old SHO V-6 5 speed, you could clearly hear a difference when the short runner butterfly valves opened up at 4,000 r.p.m.'s. Driving the Max, I notice no audible difference when the power rod is supposed to twist open around the 5K mark. I have a Berk/Apexi intake, so I would assume that I should be able to hear something going on.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM

"Sparks" made amazing HP gains with more than just a gutted IM. It was a complete custom designed/fabricated big plenum upper IM with tuned CAI inlet system, Bigger MAF/TB, and supporting mods. I.E. piggyback tuner, headers, 3" exhaust, etc. Which IMHO raises the bar way above a VIAS delete mod. As a matter of record "Sparks" always noted the 00VI as the BEST OEM IM design for our cars. Why mess with it?
^This. The 00VI is no joke, it's too bad it's prone to breaking but easy enough to fix.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I thought VIAS-delete was a simple 5.5 mod (I've done it), whereas you 5.0 genners have something called a "power-rod" that you remove? And that the smaller displacement engine has a VIAS design prone to failure from a cracked part... yes? no? I'm not real conversant with the 3.0L engine.

Someone clarify, please. (Tuner)
Yes as stated already you're correct on all accounts.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
A dead DEK VIAS is just like an A32 USDM IM, FTL.
I would have to respectfully disagree, although I get where you are going with that comment. But the USDM A32 IM is cast aluminum, compared to a moulded, smoother plastic 00VI IM. This lowers intake temps substantially, a HUGE benefit you 3.5 guys can very much attest to (spacers)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1) I removed mine.

2) eManage FTW.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM

I went out to the car and grabbed a screwdriver to test how tight the screws are on, and wow, they're tight. Any recommendations on removing them?
Vise grips.

McSteve, with your mods, I would just remove the power rod and swirl valves. I didn't feel any difference in normal driving after pulling the power rod, but the top end just screams - especially with an extended rev limiter.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 AM

Thanks again for the info. I think I came across that particular thread before, but I disregarded it thinking it was for the VIAS 3.5 engine, not the 00VI for the De-K's.
I forgot to mention that you'll need METRIC Allen wrench(s) if using metric Allen screws. A no brainer, but something that might be overlooked.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Vise grips.

McSteve, with your mods, I would just remove the power rod and swirl valves. I didn't feel any difference in normal driving after pulling the power rod, but the top end just screams - especially with an extended rev limiter.
maybe i should just suck it up and get a vq35 IM and gut it.... since I got the spacers already and they can be had on eBay for like 180 bucks....

Did you weld the holes shut when removing the swirl valves? I hate taking the IM off....

Last edited by McSteve; 09-29-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM

maybe i should just suck it up and get a vq35 IM and gut it.... since I got the spacers already and they can be had on eBay for like 180 bucks....

Did you weld the holes shut when removing the swirl valves? I hate taking the IM off....
You can put a VQ35 IM on a VQ30?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM

I have a 3.5 IM sitting in my room waiting to be ssim'd and installed. That won't happen until I dyno with the 00vi, though. I doubt 3.0 spacers will work with a 3.5 im. But I can compare the two manifolds when I get home.

The lim that came with my 00vi didn't have any swirl valves
You can put a VQ35 IM on a VQ30?
Yep, http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...os-inside.html
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Wow I really like that you can put a 3.5 IM on a 3.0... gonna read up more on that to see what all needs to be done.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM

You pretty much have to hack up the rear vc so the manifold clears the coilpacks or swap on a 3.5 rear vc (IIRC will be a small oil leak if you don't swap out the matching cam collars with the 3.5vc and coils), tb adapter, portmatch the heads to the lim, mount the de-k fuel rail in the 3.5 lim if you dont want to mess with a adjustable fpr, and figure out how to route all the hoses.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM

This thread's gone off on an IM tangent, or am I wrong? Anyway for those of you itching for a new IM, why don't you just get one of these!

Or This!

Or for The Ultimate Intake Setup!

Something like this.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
You pretty much have to hack up the rear vc so the manifold clears the coilpacks or swap on a 3.5 rear vc (IIRC will be a small oil leak if you don't swap out the matching cam collars with the 3.5vc and coils), tb adapter, portmatch the heads to the lim, mount the de-k fuel rail in the 3.5 lim if you dont want to mess with a adjustable fpr, and figure out how to route all the hoses.
That's just a little too involved for me to do unfortunately.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Yeah not worth it for us 00VI guys to go that route, for the boosted fellows it's something to consider though.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Yeah not worth it for us 00VI guys to go that route, for the boosted fellows it's something to consider though.
For most 3.0's I agree. Within the year, I'd like to dyno with an 00vi and a SSIM to see if it really does make power over an 00vi on a 3.0

This thread's gone off on an IM tangent, or am I wrong? Anyway for those of you itching for a new IM, why don't you just get one of these!

Or This!

Something like this.
All I saw was $$$$$$
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 AM

Or This!

Something like this.
Kinetix is a piece of garbage...I spoke with some people that had them........runners dont match ports on lower manifold.......then welds rust.....SUCKS.

The SFR one is good....I spoke with one member that has this one and no problems...and he had great gains with it....

as far as Sparks setup.....no one else is making that intake...would be nice though!!! So we can ALL just keep having wet dreams about it......
Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Kinetix is a piece of garbage...I spoke with some people that had them........runners dont match ports on lower manifold.......then welds rust.....SUCKS.

The SFR one is good....I spoke with one member that has this one and no problems...and he had great gains with it....

as far as Sparks setup.....no one else is making that intake...would be nice though!!! So we can ALL just keep having wet dreams about it......
Indeed! It's too bad Sparks never followed his thoughts on having them mass produced. Imagine this gem molded in plastic just like the 00VI, AWESOME!
OOPS, just soiled myself!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Indeed! It's too bad Sparks never followed his thoughts on having them mass produced. Imagine this gem molded in plastic just like the 00VI, AWESOME!
OOPS, just soiled myself!
Did he ever make one for Aaron? I know he really wanted one.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Did he ever make one for Aaron? I know he really wanted one.
Here's all I know.
Originally Posted by sparks03max
NC Custom 3.5 IM for sale - Anyway, SOLD to NmexMAX! I am going to hate you for having it, but I'm glad its you because I know you'll put it to good use.