5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

School me on the Auto Seat function!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM

School me on the Auto Seat function!

Ok so I have presets set for the memory seats. The switch on the dash is set to "Auto". I am on Memery 1 for the seat. I stop the car Pull up the E brake and shut the car off. Seat does not move back. What am I doing wrong? I think I followed the manuel correclty but it still wont move back? The all of the seats functions work fine and the memory presets work after I set them. What gives? Can the switch be broken or something? Are your working fine? Driveing me nuts trying to figure this out.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Anybody use this function.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM

I think it's very annoying to use. The seat should move back when you open the door or remove key. I havnt used mine i a long time but if i remember, The seat only moves back once you remove the key after the car being ON and the door is not opened. And the seat only moves forward with the door closed and key turned on but car not yet started. So you basically have to wait for the car to do it's thing before you do your thing which is why I don't use the feature other than reverting back after my seats been moved. Soo many times has my seat only moved halfway because I didn't wait for the seat, so I keep the switch off. I will double-check and post back if you don't get a sure answer.

EDIT: i was bored so went and tested this right away

With the memory switch set to on.

inserting key into ignition-with door open or closed; seat will move forward. You cannot move the key to ACC, On, or Start or els the seat will stop dead in its place halfway through the process. So you have to pause an unnatural amount of time for the seat to move if you like to sit further up.

With key already in ignition (in OFF position)-Open the door seat moves back, Close the door, seat will move forward again. Remove the key and/or open door at same time, seat will move back.

I think the entrance is a pain to wait for before you turn the key. And at the added cost of using the seat motor and gears every time you use the key, i just prefer to leave it off. Hopefully this can diagnose whats not working for you. Move the seat forward and set it in the memory and then see if the entrance/exit works correctly.

Last edited by LongoTE; 09-19-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Only turns off the memory seat function on manual transmission cars. It does not move the seat, that function is only for the automatic equipped cars.

Steve

03 TE 6MT
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

I just read the post and went outside and tried it. Did not work. Then I reread your thread and noticed that I was turning the key. Tomorrow with the switch set to "Auto" I will get in the car and just put the key into the ignition with the door open or closed. If the seat is already in its position then I assume it will do nothing. When I have the switch in "Auto" and shut the car off and not remove the key and have the door open or closed the seat should slide back correct?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by EH STEVE!!
Only turns off the memory seat function on manual transmission cars. It does not move the seat, that function is only for the automatic equipped cars.

Steve

03 TE 6MT
Nevermind. That answers my question. Why the hell is the switch there then? That really makes no sense. I thought only BMW did things like that?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM

They probably included it as a leftover considering most were automatic. And that's one less blank plug on the dahboard so it's all fancy lookin.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM

That switch always bugged me on my manual trans car. It just does not do anything...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LongoTE
I think it's very annoying to use. The seat should move back when you open the door or remove key. I havnt used mine i a long time but if i remember, The seat only moves back once you remove the key after the car being ON and the door is not opened. And the seat only moves forward with the door closed and key turned on but car not yet started. So you basically have to wait for the car to do it's thing before you do your thing which is why I don't use the feature other than reverting back after my seats been moved. Soo many times has my seat only moved halfway because I didn't wait for the seat, so I keep the switch off. I will double-check and post back if you don't get a sure answer.

EDIT: i was bored so went and tested this right away

With the memory switch set to on.

inserting key into ignition-with door open or closed; seat will move forward. You cannot move the key to ACC, On, or Start or els the seat will stop dead in its place halfway through the process. So you have to pause an unnatural amount of time for the seat to move if you like to sit further up.

With key already in ignition (in OFF position)-Open the door seat moves back, Close the door, seat will move forward again. Remove the key and/or open door at same time, seat will move back.

I think the entrance is a pain to wait for before you turn the key. And at the added cost of using the seat motor and gears every time you use the key, i just prefer to leave it off. Hopefully this can diagnose whats not working for you. Move the seat forward and set it in the memory and then see if the entrance/exit works correctly.
When mine is set to auto and you insert the key, the seat begins to move. Then when I start the car the seat stops. Once I let the key go back to the on position, the seat continues to move to it's set position. If it didn't work that way, I certainly wouldn't use it either.

Last edited by spock; 09-22-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by EH STEVE!!
Not saying you're wrong by any means, Steve... but why the hell would Nissan only install this on Auto models?

I can't think of a single reason why this would not be safe or desirable to be installed on a manual.