5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a NWP Dead Pedal?
In a NY minute! Sign me up!
72.55%
No way, dead pedals are dumb
15.69%
I prefer the 350Z dead-pedal mod
11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a NWP Dead Pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
As far as NWP designing something "cool," well, don't you think most of his products are already pretty spiffy?
After being properly powder-coated, and matched with titanium hardware... then yes, very spiffy.

Old 10-07-2011 | 09:39 AM

John, have you ever considered entering your car in any shows? I bet you could walk away with some prizes/awards. No joke. Not many seven-year old imports out there that look like they're still in showroom condition.
Old 10-07-2011 | 09:50 AM

John, have you ever considered entering your car in any shows? I bet you could walk away with some prizes/awards. No joke. Not many seven-year old imports out there that look like they're still in showroom condition.
Nah. Merovi can do that next year with the car, if he's so inclined.

But thanks, Brett. I appreciate the compliment.
Old 10-07-2011 | 12:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

No, I'm kidding. But I know, at the end of the day, this is all in good fun. Although, if I had something such as a dead pedal installed on my car, I'd be terrified of accidentally scuffing up something as nice as I'm sure Aaron could produce.

Point taken, and I'm sure Aaron's well-aware of what he's doing. My biggest concern with development of something like this, honestly, at the end of the day, isn't in the product, but the target crowd itself. I'd hate to see Aaron put work and effort into bringing us something, only to have the org, in its typical, orgy () fashion, shoot it down as "overpriced," and a waste of money.
If we did come up with a dead pedal design, it would have to be pretty stain resistant. More than likely, it will still be soft aluminum that can get scratched by pebbles on the bottom of your shoe. But, I would probably make sure it is clear zinc plated to prevent it from getting too dirty over time. Or it's possible that I'll make it out of a completely different type of stain resistant material.

But my entire goal when designing a new product is to make sure it can be priced within our customers' budget first. As already expressed here in this thread, if the dead pedal is priced much more than $30, it will reduce our sales considerably. Not many people will spend $100+ on a single dead pedal, even if it is an absolute gorgeous piece of metal that takes hours to fabricate! In fact, a lot of people would say it's overpriced and believe that everything else from NWP is overpriced, resulting in a damaged reputation.

If I can't find a way to keep our prices reasonable on a new design, then it would be better not to release the product instead of offending our customers by trying to charge $100 for what appears to be a simple piece of flat metal.

I have scrapped several projects and/or ideas over the years simply due to the fact that I was unable to design it in a way that would get the retail price within our customers' budgets. Or it was scrapped because I was not able to prove the performance gain that I was originally hoping for. I haven't talked about all these scrapped ideas on a public forum since I knew they would never be released to the public.

All it takes is for NWP to release one sub-par product and people will think all NWP products are designed similarly. That is why it sometimes takes so long to design, test, and release a new product. I have to make sure it is tested thoroughly first. The product that is expected to release within the next couple months has been in the works for almost a year now. When it is finally released, people may not understand why it took so long to make what appears to be a very simple product design. But it will have been tested THOROUGHLY all while operating NWP Engineering at the same time. Along the way, several prototype design changes have been made so far. And I expect several more design changes once I get the test vehicle on the dyno and test out the prototypes.

Sorry for the long post. I bet you can tell I'm excited about NWP's new products on the horizon!
Old 10-07-2011 | 12:37 PM

^ This is why it's awesome that we have a company like NWP around to back us. Not too many car enthusiast groups can say they have someone so dedicated to their vehicles.

Old 10-07-2011 | 12:47 PM

+1

^ This is why it's awesome that we have a company like NWP around to back us. Not too many car enthusiast groups can say they have someone so dedicated to their vehicles.

Old 10-07-2011 | 12:58 PM

Your're not the only one Aaron. I know I'm excited and I'm sure everyone else is too.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
If we did come up with a dead pedal design, it would have to be pretty stain resistant. More than likely, it will still be soft aluminum that can get scratched by pebbles on the bottom of your shoe. But, I would probably make sure it is clear zinc plated to prevent it from getting too dirty over time. Or it's possible that I'll make it out of a completely different type of stain resistant material.

But my entire goal when designing a new product is to make sure it can be priced within our customers' budget first. As already expressed here in this thread, if the dead pedal is priced much more than $30, it will reduce our sales considerably. Not many people will spend $100+ on a single dead pedal, even if it is an absolute gorgeous piece of metal that takes hours to fabricate! In fact, a lot of people would say it's overpriced and believe that everything else from NWP is overpriced, resulting in a damaged reputation.

If I can't find a way to keep our prices reasonable on a new design, then it would be better not to release the product instead of offending our customers by trying to charge $100 for what appears to be a simple piece of flat metal.

I have scrapped several projects and/or ideas over the years simply due to the fact that I was unable to design it in a way that would get the retail price within our customers' budgets. Or it was scrapped because I was not able to prove the performance gain that I was originally hoping for. I haven't talked about all these scrapped ideas on a public forum since I knew they would never be released to the public.

All it takes is for NWP to release one sub-par product and people will think all NWP products are designed similarly. That is why it sometimes takes so long to design, test, and release a new product. I have to make sure it is tested thoroughly first. The product that is expected to release within the next couple months has been in the works for almost a year now. When it is finally released, people may not understand why it took so long to make what appears to be a very simple product design. But it will have been tested THOROUGHLY all while operating NWP Engineering at the same time. Along the way, several prototype design changes have been made so far. And I expect several more design changes once I get the test vehicle on the dyno and test out the prototypes.

Sorry for the long post. I bet you can tell I'm excited about NWP's new products on the horizon!
Old 10-07-2011 | 01:17 PM

New products!? Like true weighted shift ***** that work with RL and are not 150 plus or Headers that don't run 800 bucks a set? Woot woot! I may just keep my 5.5 gen after all!
Old 10-07-2011 | 01:28 PM
Banned

I would buy something worth buying like an stillen supercharger adapter kit to install on 02-03 models......
xpcgammer i have some new headers for ya
Old 10-08-2011 | 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
... or Headers that don't run 800 bucks a set?
no offense but, you may want to do some research into the amount of time it takes to build a quality set of headers as well as the cost of materials alone. i'm as cheap as they come but even i can see the value in a well designed/produced product.
Old 10-08-2011 | 07:39 AM

Guys, there's a thread for all that. This thread is here simply to needle Aaron into making a dead pedal.

I'm thinking of a solid piece of thick metal, with a raised edge on the circumference. A pattern of beveled holes that matches the OEM (HLSD) gas pedal, while allowing for mounting screws. And the NWP logo at the top, in perpendicular orientation to the upright pedal, raised like the logo on his polished Block-off Plate.

Can you guys see that?

Last edited by Rochester; 10-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2011 | 07:52 AM
Banned

No i was think more of an white gold with gems in crushed in to it, some bling bling for the foot and every time u place you foot on it. it played the song FOOT LOOSE
Old 10-08-2011 | 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Clashez
No i was think more of an white gold with gems in crushed in to it
See, here we are both laughing at this, because it's ROFL kind of funny. But more so for me because I recognize how we're laughing at two different things.
Old 10-09-2011 | 10:19 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Definitely would purchase one. Subscribed!
Old 10-10-2011 | 04:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
See, here we are both laughing at this, because it's ROFL kind of funny. But more so for me because I recognize how we're laughing at two different things.
LMAO!!
Old 10-10-2011 | 05:27 PM

I'm down for an dead pedal, haha
Old 10-10-2011 | 05:37 PM

Hmm. Apparently the dead pedal on the G37 is a piece of crap, with a fake aluminum coating. That's not cool.

If NWP makes a nice one, I'd use it in the G next year.

Old 10-10-2011 | 06:50 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by Rochester
Keep in mind, the majority of Maximas out there have black pedal pads. For the 5th gens, only the AE and the 5.5's with HLSD have the cool looking pedals.
Yes I know the majority of Maximas have the stock black pedals but if they plan on upgrading the dead pedal it will look stupid with stock black pedals. Since an upgraded dead pedal would look stupid with the stock black pedals people will want to upgrade their other pedals also and if the dead pedal is made by itself any other pedal chosen to upgrade the clutch/brake/gas pedals will not match.