5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-06 3.5vq thermal spacers - 3pc kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
i actually went as far as to measure the original dynos posted (which do not show tq and use speed as a reference as Sparks noted). the before run measured out at a peak of 187 hp, the after run peaked at 190 in the same spot. because of this, no offense cory, i'm a little suspect of the second dyno you posted.

as was suggested, your best bet would be to have the two products tested back to back on a car with a manual transmission for the most accurate numbers.

That is the best bet to get the two tested back to back, I think a member here suggusted another member test it out and a PM was sent, we will see where that lands.

I know NWP has a lot of supporters as we can tell from this post however I have a feeling that the Hit CXJ has taken from this crowd, it may be difficult for him to get an unbiased test. Remember a 6mt will generally will dyno more power over a 5AT, as confirmed by Sparks plus CXJ's kit is 3 piece not a 5 piece (granted Sparks confirmed that the lower 2 pieces is only for decreased temps, and as i Understand it does not affect HP, sparks correct me if I my understanding is wrong).

That being said, I know CXJ will and has put it out there he will whole heartedly welcome a head to head UNBIASED test
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by HMAX08
I will be getting the CXJ kit put on this weekend, i will let you know about quality.
You've been vouching for these spacers, and yet to have them installed on your own car?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM

[quote=T_Behr904;8260942]You've been vouching for these spacers, and yet to have them installed on your own car?

I can vouch for the quality and I have seen, felt, and caressed the first set. These are newly available and I am on the original order list, plus these are now in stock. That is why and How I can attest to the quality of the materials. Plus, I believe I will be one fo the first CVT's to have it installed

I dont know about you but I have a Family and other priorities in my life that superceed the car, Family first right?, but NO WORRIES T-Bern, these will be going in Saturday and I know I will enjoy them

Last edited by HMAX08; 11-07-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

I will be getting the CXJ kit put on this weekend, i will let you know about quality. I do not doubt the Quality at all. Obviously NWP's kit has been out for awhile so everyone can attest to its quality as its has been out, now there was a time NWP's kit faced the same scrutiny of quality (if people want to accept it or not, lol). This is the same growing pains CXJ will have starting out, Until people get it in their hands and comment, its all speculation.
These circumstances surrounding the release of the 2 products are very different. CJX will understandably get more flak because of his blatant copying and undercutting of a favorite vendor in this community. No offense meant here CJX, it's just how things are.

That is the best bet to get the two tested back to back, I think a member here suggusted another member test it out and a PM was sent, we will see where that lands.

I know NWP has a lot of supporters as we can tell from this post however I have a feeling that the Hit CXJ has taken from this crowd, it may be difficult for him to get an unbiased test. Remember a 6mt will generally will dyno more power over a 5AT, as confirmed by Sparks plus CXJ's kit is 3 piece not a 5 piece (granted Sparks confirmed that the lower 2 pieces is only for decreased temps, and as i Understand it does not affect HP, sparks correct me if I my understanding is wrong).

That being said, I know CXJ will and has put it out there he will whole heartedly welcome a head to head UNBIASED test
I don't think a head to head test is what is needed. Just real, unbiased results for CJX spacers. All someone needs to do is go to a dyno and get 3 clean runs stock after letting the car cool down. By clean runs, I mean NOTHING like CJX original dyno sheets. Those were terrible. I mean 3 runs that are similar in power, start around the same place, and make it to redline. Then swap in the spacers while the engine cools back down and get 3 more clean runs. Now here's an important step. Don't just get printouts. Take a USB flash drive and have them copy the runfiles onto it, and have that person email the runfiles to a few people to post the results. With multiple people doing it, it's very unlikely that they can alter the results.

With runfiles, you can analyze the exact peak gains made and what RPM it's at and all kinds of other fun stuff. Just take a look at this thread. http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...ideo-pics.html

The program used there is Winpep 7.

You are correct about the LIM spacers. Those do make a power difference when you're heat soaked and hood closed especially, but it's unlikely to be noticed on the dyno when you have the hood open and a fan on the UIM.

I can vouch for the quality and I have seen, felt, and caressed
No offense, but the upper intake manifold does not feel and caress the spacers. It smashes them with +/- 25 ft lbs of force, compounded when you go over bumps or the engine jerks during shifts. Then every time you take the IM off, it gets decompressed and recompressed. Cheap phenolic material can degrade over time like this. While the premium glass-based stuff that is used in the other spacers is EXPENSIVE, it holds together through repeated abuse. I'm not saying CJX has chosen cheap material, but if he has we'll probably know about it within a few months.

Last edited by sparks03max; 11-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM

I am curious (potential buyer). Are those stress cracks that I see in the spacer? There appears to be two cracks and slight bulging of the material on the outer edge in more than one section of the spacer...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Ummm...Damn! Cory?

Good ojo's meng. I didn't even catch that.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

thats totally not a crack nor seperation of the material. this kit did have a defect from the waterjet cutting. the pump got clogged and made a low quality cut. its the reason i chose to install it on my car for testing to get dyno runs to show customers. i would never sell a kit with a defect like this

i have no reason to lie

i have been honest and up front. i have done more than any other vendor to show real testing. i also sent my cell number in a pm to one of the posters who claimed he would perform an unbias test on my product in this very thread who is still going out of his way to bash me and i still havent heard a word back from that member.

i am not scared to put my kit up against any maker or any testing. ill fly down to any location to perform a dyno testing on whatever dyno and location of said person.

i pointed it out over and over again. lets stop talking and lets do dynos runs pound for pound on the same day.

its funny how all this talk and not one person up here has my kit in there hands to speak of quality or performance

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 11-07-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by CXJ Performance
thats totally not a crack nor seperation of the material. this kit did have a defect from the waterjet cutting. the pump got clogged and made a low quality cut. its the reason i chose to install it on my car for testing. i would never sell a kit with a defect

i have no reason to lie

i have been honest and up front. i have done more than any other vendor to show real testing. i also sent my cell number to one of the posters in this very thread and still havent heard a word back from that member.

i am not scared to put my kit up against any maker or any testing. ill fly down to any location to perform a dyno testing on whatever dyno and location of said person.

i pointed it out over and over again. lets stop talking and lets do dynos runs pound for pound on the same day.

its funny how all this talk and not one person up here has my kit in there hands to speak of quality or performance
jeese dude, he merely posed the question, nowhere did he make mention of the quality.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM

this kit did have a defect from the waterjet cutting. the pump got clogged and made a low quality cut. its the reason i chose to install it on my car for testing. i would never sell a kit with a defect
Your spacers are cut with a water jet. Obviously, I'm no machinist (), but knight_yyz is a tool & die expert. Perhaps he could weigh in on the pros and cons of various cutting techniques?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
jeese dude, he merely posed the question, nowhere did he make mention of the quality.
im sorry i lost my cool. none of it was directed towards you or the poster
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM

thats totally not a crack nor seperation of the material. this kit did have a defect from the waterjet cutting. the pump got clogged and made a low quality cut. its the reason i chose to install it on my car for testing to get dyno runs to show customers. i would never sell a kit with a defect like this

i have no reason to lie

i have been honest and up front. i have done more than any other vendor to show real testing. i also sent my cell number in a pm to one of the posters who claimed he would perform an unbias test on my product in this very thread who is still going out of his way to bash me and i still havent heard a word back from that member.

You're getting a little defensive here for no reason. How exactly am I bashing you? I have spoken the truth in regards to where you got your ideas for these products, and stated that it's not a bad thing to create competition. The other member who asked you a question about the picture just wanted an explanation.

When I see dyno results that are jacked up, I'm going to speak up. Just because it's wrong, not because it's you.

I haven't called you because I don't really have any motivation to set up a dyno day and sit there swapping spacers out to test this with you. When did I claim that I would go out of my way to perform your testing?

Now someone who wants a set of spacers and is competent enough to get multiple clean runs with each then post the results would probably have that motivation if they get free spacers out of it. I recommended that in an earlier post... did you miss it?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rochester
Your spacers are cut with a water jet. Obviously, I'm no machinist (), but knight_yyz is a tool & die expert. Perhaps he could weigh in on the pros and cons of various cutting techniques?

i have over 10 years experience cnc milling , plasma , waterjet , torch and a degree in metallurgy.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM

"And we do not waterjet or laser CNC cut phenolic laminates. The cut quality just isn't good enough for me."
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sparks03max
You're getting a little defensive here for no reason. How exactly am I bashing you? I have spoken the truth in regards to where you got your ideas for these products, and stated that it's not a bad thing to create competition. The other member who asked you a question about the picture just wanted an explanation.

When I see dyno results that are jacked up, I'm going to speak up. Just because it's wrong, not because it's you.

I haven't called you because I don't really have any motivation to set up a dyno day and sit there swapping spacers out to test this with you. When did I claim that I would go out of my way to perform your testing?

Now someone who wants a set of spacers and is competent enough to get multiple clean runs with each then post the results would probably have that motivation if they get free spacers out of it. I recommended that in an earlier post... did you miss it?
it just seems that there is so much bashing in the thread but none of the negative posters has the kit in there hands to speak of quality , durability or workmanship.

all i can leave it on is that who ever wants to set-up a dyno day i will fly to there location video camera in hand and will even split the cost of dyno runs at a location of there choice

everything else is all talk

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 11-07-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

"And we do not waterjet or laser CNC cut phenolic laminates. The cut quality just isn't good enough for me."

but there is nothing that states in the manufacturing world that phenolic can not and should not be water jet cut
Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM

it just seems that there is so much bashing in the thread but none of the negative posters has the kit in there hands to speak of quality , durability or workmanship.
Has anybody actually commented on the quality, durability, or workmanship? People are just asking questions regarding your spacers, as far as I have seen.

Like I mentioned, quality and durability... we'll know about that when people have had your kit for a while. The workmanship has been questioned because another vendor mentioned that water jet cutting is sloppy on phenolic laminates.

Nobody is targeting you just to hate on you. You're a new vendor, and the products you offer are already offered by someone else. It should be clear that you'll go through a lot of scrutiny as people try to figure out which vendor to buy from.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5DH5ZYlBzw

water jet cutting of phenolic
Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM

all i can leave it on is that who ever wants to set-up a dyno day i will fly to there location video camera in hand and will even split the cost of dyno runs at a location of there choice

everything else is all talk
So you want someone to spend their own money, gas and time testing your product?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Has anybody actually commented on the quality, durability, or workmanship? People are just asking questions regarding your spacers, as far as I have seen.

Like I mentioned, quality and durability... we'll know about that when people have had your kit for a while. The workmanship has been questioned because another vendor mentioned that water jet cutting is sloppy on phenolic laminates.

Nobody is targeting you just to hate on you. You're a new vendor, and the products you offer are already offered by someone else. It should be clear that you'll go through a lot of scrutiny as people try to figure out which vendor to buy from.
i have no personal issues with you and apologized to you and
your absolutely correct with this statement.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

So you want someone to spend their own money, gas and time testing your product?
good reason but there spending there time to sit at a pc to make negative remarks on it without the kit in hand or installed
Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Toolie

I can't really comment on water jet technology. I've obviously heard of it, but I have had no experience with it. I have never used it, or worked for a shop that uses it.
I would love to volunteer to do the dyno testing, but it is far too cold to do a spacer install up here in the great white north.

I am curious though. it is being implied that the original designer of these spacers did a lot of R&D and came up with 1/4 inch as a good size for spacers. Did he really? Or did he just use 1/4 because it would leave ample room for the guys who want to run an FSTB? Did he try 3/8 or 1/2 inch and find a horsepower loss?
And bty, these were not invented by NWP, other's have had the idea before him (i35sleeper). There was another company that made them for the vq35, they used some sort of white space age polymer which I can't recall right now. But there wasn't any interest so now they only make them for RWD vq's.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 11-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

and a degree in metallurgy.
good reason but there spending there time to sit at a pc to make negative remarks on it without the kit in hand or installed
The Grammar Police are watching you, Metallurgy Graduate.

(All in good fun... roll with it.)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks...

...I figured as much. Just wanted you to chime in and confirm.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 PM

Interesting reply. If I choose to waste a few minutes of free time on a public forum while I'm at home, that's a little different than spending half a day and money out of my pocket for no reason other than to benefit you.

Like I keep suggesting... Find someone who doesn't have a kit yet. Either offer that person a free kit if they will dyno test it or offer to pay for dyno testing if they buy a kit, then fly down and join them when they do it. If you want it done really quickly, offer someone both a free kit and dyno testing to be your test subject. This is the most common way for a vendor to test a new product. The person doing the testing is getting to dyno his car for free, or is getting a free set of spacers for dynoing his car and you get your testing in return.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

there is nothing i can do to satisfy the supporters of the other guy. i offered testing of my product and to spent my own money to meet the needs but i see now i will not get unbias results.

who on this thread could i send my kit too that will give a fair statement of the product?

who is willing for me to fly to there location and to perform dyno runs?

will this put to rest the nay sayers. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

they will find other ways and loop holes to futher stab and pick.

like grammar c'mon. give me a break
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I can't really comment on water jet technology. I've obviously heard of it, but I have had no experience with it. I have never used it, or worked for a shop that uses it.
I would love to volunteer to do the dyno testing, but it is far too cold to do a spacer install up here in the great white north.

I am curious though. it is being implied that the original designer of these spacers did a lot of R&D and came up with 1/4 inch as a good size for spacers. Did he really? Or did he just use 1/4 because it would leave ample room for the guys who want to run an FSTB? Did he try 3/8 or 1/2 inch and find a horsepower loss?
And bty, these were not invented by NWP, other's have had the idea before him (i35sleeper). There was another company that made them for the vq35, they used some sort of white space age polymer which I can't recall right now. But there wasn't any interest so now they only make them for RWD vq's.

thank you for the history. i see most ignored this
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM

like grammar c'mon. give me a break
Not, not quite. Being able to express yourself well demonstrates education and competence. Whereas not being able to do so demonstrates a lack thereof.

It's not snobbery, Cory, it's just human nature. Consider this a learning moment for your marketing efforts, and run your comments through a spell checker, or a friend.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Not, not quite. Being able to express yourself well demonstrates education and competence. Whereas not being able to do so demonstrates a lack thereof.

It's not snobbery, Cory, it's just human nature. Consider this a learning moment for your marketing efforts, and run your comments through a spell checker, or a friend.

thank you
Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 PM

On that note, let's point out the undeniably positive things Cory has demonstrated in the last few months. I've witnessed politeness, an even-temper, some introspection, and the best trait of all: a thick skin.

He'll be needing that last one, it seems.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

On that note, let's point out the undeniably positive things Cory has demonstrated in the last few months. I've witnessed politeness, an even-temper, some introspection, and the best trait of all: a thick skin.

He'll be needing that last one, it seems.
lmao!

your alright. i cant help but to laugh

what a day, what a day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbJXXer8JAg

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 11-07-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM

there is nothing i can do to satisfy the supporters of the other guy. i offered testing of my product and to spent my own money to meet the needs but i see now i will not get unbias results.
I'm honestly trying to help you. I can see it coming across as me "picking" at you, but seriously bad dyno results are bad dyno results. Someone else would have noticed and called you out at another point had I not mentioned something. Again, this has nothing to do with whether or not I support your competition.

who is willing for me to fly to there location and to perform dyno runs?
What I would do is post in your sale thread that you have a special opportunity for 1 buyer to get free dyno testing along with a spacer kit to test your product. Ask for it to be a 6MT for the sake of simplicity and accurate dyno testing from low RPMs up to redline (auto transmissions will downshift if you punch it at too low a RPM and mess up your results).

I'm sure someone will contact you wanting to make that deal.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

the tech noted that as well. he said i would have produced better numbers with a manual than a 5at

thanks again sparks

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 11-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz

MY Lord, very very interesting, an eye opener to say the least. I would love to see the responses to this. It has been my understanding through research and the all mighty WEB (goole is your friend) that spacers have been long used by other motorheads, especially the Mustang crowd. If i remember correctly from my research in the early days, they were using plywood. I am going to dig a little deaper to find this other company you speak of as well as the materials they used.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM

[/COLOR][/B]

MY Lord, very very interesting, an eye opener to say the least. I would love to see the responses to this. It has been my understanding through research and the all mighty WEB (goole is your friend) that spacers have been long used by other motorheads, especially the Mustang crowd. If i remember correctly from my research in the early days, they were using plywood. I am going to dig a little deaper to find this other company you speak of as well as the materials they used.
I don't believe anybody here, or NWP has claimed that they invented intake manifold phenolic spacers. I made a comment that NWP was the only company offering said spacers for this vehicle before CJX. They are commonly made for many vehicles and applications, nothing new here.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

153 replies with 1726 views and 4 pages on an install thread. lmao

theres no such thing as bad press
Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM

153 replies with 1726 views and 4 pages on an install thread. lmao

theres no such thing as bad press
Do you see the thread below it with 53,000 replies and 519,000 views and 5331 pages on a "I bought stuff" thread with a title that can double for a sexual innuendo?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM

I don't believe anybody here, or NWP has claimed that they invented intake manifold phenolic spacers. I made a comment that NWP was the only company offering said spacers for this vehicle before CJX. They are commonly made for many vehicles and applications, nothing new here.

There are many examples in this thread, that may be deleted or edited that states that Cory's kit is a COPY/knockoff or NWP's kit, can the same be said NWP COPIED the other company and his kit is a KNOCKOFF OF the said other comany? Can NWP's R&D hours be verified now?

You say you dont believe that the anybody here or nwp has claimed that they invented the spacers however, ther are a lot of members here making its sure seem that way. Read through the comments, they are there

SPARKS, I see that you are a very smart and educated person when it comes to our cars and I respect your comments and points
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 PM

So I have been reading this thread for 2 days or so because I thought it was interesting to watch tue argument. The way people talk, react, and carry themselves here can tell a lot about who they are. With that said, I would be willing to test this product under certain circumstances. Obviously I would not want to pay for this. My benefit is minimal and I really dont care about HP gains. Also, I would want protection against damage due to this product or caused by the maker of it. If a year down the road the material proves to be terrible and damages something why would I want to be responsible.

With that said my car may not be ideal. It is a 6mt with (i think) seized rear calipers, rust issues galore, oil burning issues, and probably clogged cats but I haven't inspected. That may or may not compromise the results.

I made this public and not a PM. If this should be said in private than ooops lol.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by 2damax
So I have been reading this thread for 2 days or so because I thought it was interesting to watch tue argument. The way people talk, react, and carry themselves here can tell a lot about who they are. With that said, I would be willing to test this product under certain circumstances. Obviously I would not want to pay for this. My benefit is minimal and I really dont care about HP gains. Also, I would want protection against damage due to this product or caused by the maker of it. If a year down the road the material proves to be terrible and damages something why would I want to be responsible.

With that said my car may not be ideal. It is a 6mt with (i think) seized rear calipers, rust issues galore, oil burning issues, and probably clogged cats but I haven't inspected. That may or may not compromise the results.

I made this public and not a PM. If this should be said in private than ooops lol.
Suffice it to say that you're right. You're not an ideal candidate.

OAN: Don't believe internet personas are the same as the real life personas.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax

i offered in his other thread, and my car is a perfect candidate. im not home though, so its gonna have to wait a few weeks, not sure if he wants to do that...

Quick Reply: 02-06 3.5vq thermal spacers - 3pc kit Install