5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-06 3.5vq thermal spacers - 3pc kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2damax
So I have been reading this thread for 2 days or so because I thought it was interesting to watch tue argument. The way people talk, react, and carry themselves here can tell a lot about who they are. With that said, I would be willing to test this product under certain circumstances. Obviously I would not want to pay for this. My benefit is minimal and I really dont care about HP gains. Also, I would want protection against damage due to this product or caused by the maker of it. If a year down the road the material proves to be terrible and damages something why would I want to be responsible.

With that said my car may not be ideal. It is a 6mt with (i think) seized rear calipers, rust issues galore, oil burning issues, and probably clogged cats but I haven't inspected. That may or may not compromise the results.

I made this public and not a PM. If this should be said in private than ooops lol.
those issues may be problematic for testing and i dont think i should be liable for a car in that condition that has been stated. any parts maker will post up a disclaimer about installing there after market part that reads in a nut shell you cant sue them for damages.

its good that your in ct and you would have made a prime canidate but with those factors you may not be
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i offered in his other thread, and my car is a perfect candidate. im not home though, so its gonna have to wait a few weeks, not sure if he wants to do that...

im moving to california in 2 weeks so testing would have to be done before that
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

I hope with the block off plate I get way better times than i'm getting right now.The car needs some mods and you got the answer right there???
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I hope with the block off plate I get way better times than i'm getting right now.The car needs some mods and you got the answer right there???
you'll need a little more than a bop plate
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Sent you a pm.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I'm honestly trying to help you. I can see it coming across as me "picking" at you, but seriously bad dyno results are bad dyno results. Someone else would have noticed and called you out at another point had I not mentioned something. Again, this has nothing to do with whether or not I support your competition.

Ask for it to be a 6MT for the sake of simplicity and accurate dyno testing from low RPMs up to redline (auto transmissions will downshift if you punch it at too low a RPM and mess up your results).

I'm sure someone will contact you wanting to make that deal.
Could you not manually shift an auto tranny?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by spock
Could you not manually shift an auto tranny?
I don't think you can manually force the 5AT into 4th gear, or even 3rd in stock form. Now if you have a nice little transmission controller, then it's no problem.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
oms

This has been a very interesting thread so far.

I have been interested in the product and playing with the idea of installing it and maybe Dyno'ing it.

Corey, I am in Toronto if this interests you with a 2k2 6 spd with Bop as the only engine mod at the moment. You can pm me if you want to do any testing.

One question I have for the pro's, With such a spacer kit installed, would there be any extra benefit to an intake mod vs same intake mod on stock?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM

The down shift in an automatic ... which is why you have to dyno the AT in D3 not if D. I have an AT and if I wot the car in D under 3000 rpm it will down shift first, over 3000 rpm and stomp on it ... it just continues to pull hard in that gear straight through to 6200 rpm before the up shift.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 11-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Wow, what a cluster ---- this has turned into. 3 points, if I may.

1. Cory, to address the issue of quality, please post the brand of material you used and if someone could get that info from Aaron as well. Then the "quality" issue will be boiled down to thickness of the material. The result of each vendors preferred cutting procedure "seems" to be of equal quality.
2. Get another Dyno as suggested and send the files to some of the gurus in this thread that can evaluate the results. The specs of the wheels will be adjusted by the tech before the runs.
3. Everyone needs to remember that we are driving Nissan Maximas, not Formula 1's. An increase of a couple of HP (potential gain of the CJX v. NWP) will affect what aspect of your daily driving experience?

Good luck to Cory and Aaron in their respective endeavors in supplying this community with parts options.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by HMAX08
There are many examples in this thread, that may be deleted or edited that states that Cory's kit is a COPY/knockoff or NWP's kit, can the same be said NWP COPIED the other company and his kit is a KNOCKOFF OF the said other comany? Can NWP's R&D hours be verified now?
n this vein are you reasoning that he didn't copy nwp's spacers? Really?lol...Mmmmm okay. As well if he did copy the other did he do so and attempt a run to steal their business by underwriting with a stolen design? In calling a spade a spade if you enter the market and do so in a manner of honor and trustworthiness, then that goes a long way. If the items were no longer offered he would have caught no flak outside of people pining about the old days. Given the manner he entered the market copying 2 products. not just 1 speaks volumes to character. Had you ever dealt with the founder of nwp you'd know that he's a pioneer in many ways within our community. Nothing to do with Corey as a person, just the manner and methods
You say you dont believe that the anybody here or nwp has claimed that they invented the spacers however, ther are a lot of members here making its sure seem that way. Read through the comments, they are theresee above

SPARKS, I see that you are a very smart and educated person when it comes to our cars and I respect your comments and points
Saving a couple bucks may seem a good idea n the beginning, but to me I'd rather wear Js than AF1s.
I've had to beat my ssim off with a hammer and chisel due to too much rtv 1 time. Even put a torch to it. Had to put n a late night call asking if I was...missing something. Needless to say not a nick n the phenolic, and an offer was made for a discount if I did damage it. The nwps have survived multiple manifold changes and no worries or issues, even with 1 more coming with this custom manifold install.
Follow the miss lists and intricate knowledge of racing and what works and has worked with our vehicles and you would understand the reason for his following.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Seems like it's slowly coming to a CXJ if ur 1/8 mile or autocross ??? And nwp is the 1/4 mile or highway king ??

Just my predictions!!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Mods list.

Now Corey may be a stand up dude, and he seems willing to do what's necessary to prove himself and his product. To me that goes a way to building a decent relationship with his customer base. The long haul is where it'll be proven. But with nwp offering another lower priced set it can get interesting lol.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by amixamse
Seems like it's slowly coming to a CXJ if ur 1/8 mile or autocross ??? And nwp is the 1/4 mile or highway king ??

Just my predictions!!
Exactly what I stated earlier. As well with the 5pc you get a temp reduction that goes further n real life conditions past the dyno
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Just my predictions!!
1/8th mile requires the same mid/top end powerband that the 1/4 mile requires. Bottom end power is only relevant in the first 60 feet, and even then only if you're on street tires and you're not having traction problems. Don't believe me?

Here you can see my car with 265whp 259wtq doing a 8.24 @ 85 with a 1.83 60 foot time.

Now here I have 280whp and 258wtq and do a 8.15@86.7 with a 1.92 60 foot time.

The difference between these runs was ONLY topend/midrange gains with almost no change to bottom end. Even with a .10 slower 60 foot time, it's still faster down the 1/8th mile by gaining topend power.

Last edited by sparks03max; 11-07-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM

I wouldnt normally argue my opinion w someone w a low 12 second max but im looking at it thinking trap times could vary w these two products and if the 1/4" spacer pulls where the 3/8" doesn't pull at all that would make the 1/4" better top end.
But if u have a "track ready" maxima the launch and low end of the 3/8" could pull your traps higher in the 1/8th than u could with the 1/4".
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by oms
This has been a very interesting thread so far.

I have been interested in the product and playing with the idea of installing it and maybe Dyno'ing it.

Corey, I am in Toronto if this interests you with a 2k2 6 spd with Bop as the only engine mod at the moment. You can pm me if you want to do any testing.

One question I have for the pro's, With such a spacer kit installed, would there be any extra benefit to an intake mod vs same intake mod on stock?
This is one of those mods that helps all the other mods. So basically anyting you do to help the engine breathe easier will work better with a properly built set of spacers. at least that is what i have niticed with my dynos
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Toolie

I'd like to make another point. But before I do... I am not knocking NWP, I am just pointing out observations.
When NWP first decided to make spacers he obviously measured a manifold upper and lower. But it is an aluminum cast piece. How many molds do you think they used to produce this ****e aluminium product? 1? 20? What's the tolerance on the mold? How do you port match for 20 molds with a tolerance? Even if 200 im's were digitized on a cmm machine, an average would have to be used. So for some, the spacers are port matched, and some not so much. I've installed about 15 sets of these and I notice these things. People keep assuming the NWP did this, or CXJdid that.
Stop assuming things. Get all the facts. Yes NWP's spacers work, and if you could check my posts I always say this is the best mod for the price. But NWP did not reveal the R&D procedure he used so let's stop assuming he did everything perfectly right.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Everyone needs to remember that we are driving Nissan Maximas, not Formula 1's. An increase of a couple of HP (potential gain of the CJX v. NWP) will affect what aspect of your daily driving experience?
Power mods are still a cumulative process, even if their respective gains aren't literally aggregated.

(That means every little bit helps.)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I'd like to make another point. But before I do... I am not knocking NWP, I am just pointing out observations.
Neither a point nor an observation, Ray. The word you're looking for is supposition.

Carry on.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Rochester
Neither a point nor an observation, Ray. The word you're looking for is supposition.

Carry on.
I'm on midnight shift, brain no worky sometimes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM

I wouldnt normally argue my opinion w someone w a low 12 second max but im looking at it thinking trap times could vary w these two products and if the 1/4" spacer pulls where the 3/8" doesn't pull at all that would make the 1/4" better top end.
But if u have a "track ready" maxima the launch and low end of the 3/8" could pull your traps higher in the 1/8th than u could with the 1/4".
If you have a track ready maxima, you are launching from 5-6k RPMs and never even touch the lowend. You spend 100% of the time down the track above 5k whether it's 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile. Ask me how I know (or just click on the youtube link in my sig)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

I don't know why this is even a debate, Cuz a bigger spacer is better no matter how u look at it.. Like a somewhat wise man once sid dyno's are apples to oragnes.... .. .
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

when this dude here is the main supporter ^ it says alot.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
bigger is better that's all there is to it
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sparks03max
bigger is better that's all there is to it

In this case yes and you know it is.... .
Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 AM

Wow, what a cluster ---- this has turned into. 3 points, if I may.

1. Cory, to address the issue of quality, please post the brand of material you used and if someone could get that info from Aaron as well. Then the "quality" issue will be boiled down to thickness of the material. The result of each vendors preferred cutting procedure "seems" to be of equal quality.
2. Get another Dyno as suggested and send the files to some of the gurus in this thread that can evaluate the results. The specs of the wheels will be adjusted by the tech before the runs.
3. Everyone needs to remember that we are driving Nissan Maximas, not Formula 1's. An increase of a couple of HP (potential gain of the CJX v. NWP) will affect what aspect of your daily driving experience?

Good luck to Cory and Aaron in their respective endeavors in supplying this community with parts options.

Very Well Said
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 AM

Saving a couple bucks may seem a good idea n the beginning, but to me I'd rather wear Js than AF1s.
I've had to beat my ssim off with a hammer and chisel due to too much rtv 1 time. Even put a torch to it. Had to put n a late night call asking if I was...missing something. Needless to say not a nick n the phenolic, and an offer was made for a discount if I did damage it. The nwps have survived multiple manifold changes and no worries or issues, even with 1 more coming with this custom manifold install.
Follow the miss lists and intricate knowledge of racing and what works and has worked with our vehicles and you would understand the reason for his following.
"n this vein are you reasoning that he didn't copy nwp's spacers? Really?lol...Mmmmm okay. As well if he did copy the other did he do so and attempt a run to steal their business by underwriting with a stolen design? In calling a spade a spade if you enter the market and do so in a manner of honor and trustworthiness, then that goes a long way. If the items were no longer offered he would have caught no flak outside of people pining about the old days. Given the manner he entered the market copying 2 products. not just 1 speaks volumes to character. Had you ever dealt with the founder of nwp you'd know that he's a pioneer in many ways within our community. Nothing to do with Corey as a person, just the manner and methods"

I understand you point, I am not Saying that, but what do you mean by copying/STOLEN a design, can you Say NWP copied/stole Nissan's design and/or OTHER company, I mean really look at the manifold, the spacer is an exact copy of the design of the the manifolds(that nissan made), its a matter of symantics i guess. its how one wants to see it. It has been pointed out here that there was another copany that made these for the VQ engine BEFORE NWP

As per the BOP Plates again, there was a need for a better price in the community. The BOPs cost about 3 dollars to make yet nwp was hosing the community for 35 to 50 buck for it. NWP know this, that is why his basic BOP is now 10 bucks but his premium stuff is still around $50 what that 50 get you, raised letters that say NWP that NO one sees once the engine cover is on.

Just because CXJ's prices are lower doesnt mean its CHEAPER materials, CXJ saves money on the FRILLS, no fancy box and what not.

Please know I understand your point and respect your opinion as well
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 AM

There's an Ignore List feature on the Org that helps clean out nonsense.

But I wouldn't write CJX off simply because of association... unless you start seeing them re-sold by CustomMaxima.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 AM

unless you start seeing them re-sold by CustomMaxima.
LOL!^^^
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Clashez
In this case yes and you know it is.... .
Only if you're impressed by peak numbers.
I suspect a great number of us don't drive all day at redline, so usable power for our application may be different than what it is ever you're doing.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 AM

So for some, the spacers are port matched, and some not so much. I've installed about 15 sets of these and I notice these thing.
So knight, if I understand you correctly, you have actually seen some installations where the spacers are not exactly port matched due to Nissan's tolerance variance in manufacturing? If so, I would call that an observation and NOT a supposition.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 AM

So knight, if I understand you correctly, you have actually seen some installations where the spacers are not exactly port matched due to Nissan's tolerance variance in manufacturing? If so, I would call that an observation and NOT a supposition.
That's a fair observation. Touché, Mr. Bad Black.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's a fair observation. Touché, Mr. Bad Black.
We can't be right 100% of the time, although that is a worthy goal.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM

This thread ins heading in the direction of an english/grammar lesson, thats a good thing in my eyes, LOL
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Allow me to point out once more that the difference in thickness between the two sets of spacers is relatively small. Some here may have issues with fractions so let's make it simple.

company#1: 1/4" UIM, 1/16" LIM. This amounts to 5/16" total spacer on the runners.

company#2 3/8" UIM. Converting to 16s, you get 6/16" total spacer.

Anybody here think they can detect 1/16" difference in runner length?

Clashez if you ever order an intake manifold from me, I'll make sure to incorporate 3 foot long twin loop runners to satisfy your opinion that longer runners are always better. Not that you'd be willing to spend that much money on a high quality performance part...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remember, keep this thread constructive, no product bashing or personal attacks.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Only if you're impressed by peak numbers.
I suspect a great number of us don't drive all day at redline, so usable power for our application may be different than what it is ever you're doing.
Meh...IMO, I have enough power down low to break traction too easily. Gaining more on our high-rpm-suffocated VQs is 'more usable' than down low.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Toolie

that is correct. They are usually close. But never perfect. I would not personally call them port matched.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM

that is correct. They are usually close. But never perfect. I would not personally call them port matched.
Mine were nearly perfect for every gasket surface, maybe I just got lucky. Still, especially compared to stock gaskets... It's about as port matched as you can get without actually port matching.

Quick Reply: 02-06 3.5vq thermal spacers - 3pc kit Install