5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is my clutch master cylinder bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Is my clutch master cylinder bad?

I installed a new slave cylinder and I'm trying to bleed it. I topped the MC off with brake fluid and saw that the old fluid was rather cloudy. I thought it was odd, because my tech said he replaced the fluid a year ago. Steadfast, I pushed onward.

My father and I tried the pump method for about 10 minutes but, not a single drop of fluid came out of the bleed screw on the slave. Appropriately, the fluid level in the MC reservoir did not change whatsoever. Finally, I attached my power bleeder and applied 4 psi to the MC. There is no fluid movement, as if there was a blockage somewhere in the hydraulic system. I tried pumping the clutch and, it made no difference. While there is no pressure in the clutch, it does return to the top, even when the lower bleed screw is open.

I'm thinking the MC is bad, no? Should I waste more time trying to bleed this or, just have it towed to the dealership for MC replacement?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Did you try bleeding through the upper bleeder screw as well?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Did you try bleeding through the upper bleeder screw as well?
Nope. Every guide i read said the lower screw musy be bled first.

Anyway, the car is getting towed to the dealership tomorrow. I'll let the dealership deal with it.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Whitebread
Nope. Every guide i read said the lower screw musy be bled first.

Anyway, the car is getting towed to the dealership tomorrow. I'll let the dealership deal with it.
I had the hose going to the master cylinder replaced in my car by a friend who is a mechanic, at the dealer I used to work at. They are a biotch to bleed. It took him and another tech, and a power bleeder to do the job, and they bled it for probably 2 hours or more. Air travels upward, so try the upper bleeder first before you take your car to the stealership and spend money on a tow.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I had the hose going to the master cylinder replaced in my car by a friend who is a mechanic, at the dealer I used to work at. They are a biotch to bleed. It took him and another tech, and a power bleeder to do the job, and they bled it for probably 2 hours or more. Air travels upward, so try the upper bleeder first before you take your car to the stealership and spend money on a tow.
Indeed, air will end up gathering at the upper bleed screw. But, air or not, the brake fluid should still flow through the system if positive pressure is applied. Should there be air at the top bleed screw and, should I open the bottom screw will aforementioned pressure, the fluid should flow but, the system will not properly bleed because there is air stuck "up top". In my car, the reservoir held 4 psi for 5 minutes, then 7 psi for another 5 minutes without any fluid flow from the power bleeder or, out of the slave cylinder. Also, remember that pumping the clutch didn't lower the reservoir level at all, even after 20 minutes of pumping and bleeding. The stuff should flow into the MC freely.

Fluid has to be able to move from the MC to the slave for the clutch to work. If pressure is applied to the reservoir fluid but, nothing flows to the slave, something's fishy. Air won't stop the flow of fluid in an open hydraulic system. It will just compress until pressure is equalized. Fluid should still flow without obstruction. I think there is something stuck in my MC or, perhaps, it's just beyond it's years.

I've got AAA so, the tow will be free. I need some other work done to the car, work that I either cannot or will not do myself so, this isn't so bad.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Any follow up?