5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock Bose stereo mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 AM

Stock Bose stereo mod?

i saw a video the other day that showed a couple of guy soldering in a cable, replacing the tape deck...( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGKB0vUqvg )to use a 6 cd changer or other aux items.
has anyone done this mod? i would like to try this, for use with my sirius radio.
i have the siruis in anothe car that has an aftermarket radio in it. hooked up to the aux...the sirius is static free. in my maxima with the stock radio, i have moved the outside antenna many times and i still get static.
the stock bose really sounds great, esspecially after i added some after market speakers...so i see no need to get rid of it.

if anyone has done this mod, could do this mod...or has a radio that has the mod done and they would like to part with it..please let me know

just looking for some good info on it before i dive in!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:01 AM

Check the how to's or audio section. I know for fact I've seen people do this to the stock head unit.

IMO it would just be easier and nicer to save for a better head unit then tamper with the Stock one.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 AM

There is a how to somewhere on here.

I just use a cassette adapter to play my Zune and have the wire tucked in between the panels on the right while running down the center console.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 AM

This is what you need to do: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...aux-input.html
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 AM

IMO it would just be easier and nicer to save for a better head unit then tamper with the Stock one.[/QUOTE]

i don't know about cheaper...the stock bose sounds real good! esspecially after i replaced the stock speakers. really all i need is an aux input for my sirius. whats a real good replacement stereo for my maxima cost...??? $300 ? $500?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Let me know what kind of head unit you want... Double din, single din, flip out, normal deck with usb or aux.... My best friend owns an audio shop so I can get you guys discounts plus shipping.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Is your best friend authorized to distribute the product he sells outside of his region? Most local shops are not.

I also agree with replacing the head unit over modifying it. Because in the end, all you're doing sending an aux signal through an already crappy head unit.

Crutchfield is a fine alternative. Excellent customer service (they'll help you pick a deck appropriate for you), legitimate warranties, fair pricing.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM

bose system can be done using some fine wires, a switch (on/off toggle), and 3.5mm audio jack, non bose system can be done using a switched 3.5mm switched audio jack, all parts can be ordered online or at your local rat shack. Part are under $10, so it will probably be cheaper to just buy it at the store.

As far as I can remember......

The bose system is much easier to mod since all solder points on the board is marked on the board and the toggle switch will make you radio display "AUX", the non bose is a little tricky where you need to cut into a set of traces prior to the built in amp circuit and you use a switched audio jack to cut into an existing input and you can turn "YOUR" (mps, sirus, etc) input on and off by plugging in the male end of the 3.5mm jack.

So basically the answer to your question is "yes", it can be done to your factory unit. I've done it on my non bose unit and I'm sure other people have different ways to approach it. The question comes down to if you can do it yourself or up for the task. If you can do it yourself it will cost you a couple of dollars, if you have to send it out or have someone do it, the cost will add up and you might just want to buy another radio with an aux input.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 AM

why do you need a toggle switch?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

There is a reason they are called BLOSE.

@djfrestyl I'll check with him this morning. I am pretty sure he is because he has contracts with some performance companies, Megan, Unified distribution, and several others that he has items drop shipped with.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by gsxr-rider137
why do you need a toggle switch?
why the toggle switch??
The toggle switch acts like an extra selection button on your head unit. Your factory head unit will have, fm/am, cd, tape, etc and the hu display will display accordingly. When you turn on the toggle, it will shut off whatever you have on and go into "aux" mode, the display will also display "AUX". This setup works if you have a factory bose but not on the non bose. When you crack open you head unit the board will have all the necessary connection points silk screen/printed/legend on the board allowing you to connect/solder your wires.

I haven't done it on a maxima bose unit but have done it on another nissan bose unit around the same production year. It is all pretty much the same inside on all these radios. non bose is a clarion with it own amp and a bose setup is a clarion hu that low levels out to external bose amps.

My max is non bose so I had to wire it up without the toggle. You can solder up wires and a jack so that you don't ever need a switch on bose and non bose but you kinda loose the "AUX" display. You can wire it so that it uses either the tape input, the cd inputs, or tuner inputs. Many people choose the tape input because it is pretty much obsolete or if they have a busted indash changer wired into the cd inputs, these two methods requires you to trick the hu into thinking that it either has blank cd or a tape in the deck. I've choose the tuner input because you don't have to trick the radio into believing anything. I have fm radio when the 3.5 mm cable is out of the jack and have aux input when the 3.5mm cable is plugged in.

I personally like having a switch to toggle, because with a switch setup, I can have a switch up front and the jack hidden further back and leave the mp3 plugged in all the time and only activate it when needed without having to unplug the 3.5mm jack cable to listen to fm radio.

As far as female 3.5 jack location, you can have it on the face of the radio, on the trim panel, coin holder, cup holder, arm rest, if you don't have heated seats you can even use the blanks for jack location. I've set mines up "hidden" on the dash panel where you can even know I have aux if the cable is not plugged in.

I've searched around and I think this thread will give you a bit more on the bose setup or at least point you in the right direction....
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics/308300-how-add-aux-stock-bose.html
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM

replacing the HU is not as easy as it sounds. try to keep your bose setup if possible. you will have very low volume if you replace the HU and keep the stock speakers. then if you decide to change the speakers as well u have to rewire the whole car. and it will still sound like crap bc u will then have very little bass with just the 4 small speakers. i experienced this first hand
Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM

HU ?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

Head Unit.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mrsandman
replacing the HU is not as easy as it sounds. try to keep your bose setup if possible. you will have very low volume if you replace the HU and keep the stock speakers. then if you decide to change the speakers as well u have to rewire the whole car. and it will still sound like crap bc u will then have very little bass with just the 4 small speakers. i experienced this first hand
WRONG.

Please research before you post. Replacing the head unit is very easy. And as long as you wire it properly, volume levels will be appropriate. You do NOT have to rewire the entire car.

Sorry to hear but whomever did your install did not have sufficient knowlege.

Please read the "BOSE Radio Replacement Thread" in the Audio section for more info. It's a long thread, but worth the read.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrsandman
I replaced my headunit with a double din... We had to bypass the factory amp and use the headunit's amp to power the speakers and It was louder and more clear that the factory headunit without having to deal with a TERRIBLE cd player that skipped if you looked at it wrong.

(granted now I am running Mclass components 2 12" quantum audio subs pushed by a 1500x5 m class amp....)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im new here not sure if this thread is dead or not but my question is
can i put a factory 6 disc(in dash) in my 01 maxima se it came with a single am/fm/tape in dash and 6 disc factory changer in trunk my car also has steering wheel controls and if it will work can i still use my changer in trunk in additon to the 6 disc in dash i think the 6 disc in dash were put in 02-03 max's
Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

The basics will work (power and sound) but not the steering wheel controls unless you rewire. It's not 100% plug and play.

Also you'd have to make sure you get a Bose unit if you have Bose - and not if you don't.

In the end my advice to you is just get aftermarket. CD's are dead anyway...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM

So did he do this already or he went aftermarket, me when I get to audio will doing a Pioneer Deck or most like In Dash DVD hopefully 7".....
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Bose runs all of their stuff at 1 ohm. You couldn't just pop in a new HU and it work as most aftermarkets are 4ohms. Unless you specifically bought a HU which operates at 1ohm as well but those are few and far between.

Originally Posted by maxima 21
I replaced my headunit with a double din... We had to bypass the factory amp and use the headunit's amp to power the speakers and It was louder and more clear that the factory headunit without having to deal with a TERRIBLE cd player that skipped if you looked at it wrong.

(granted now I am running Mclass components 2 12" quantum audio subs pushed by a 1500x5 m class amp....)
Carefull putting that much wattage into those mclass. those voice coils are very fickle. Ive replaced countless blown mclass subs. The amp has about what 600RMS? thats a lot for those subs. Just friendly advice, not saying you dont know what your doing
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Bose runs all of their stuff at 1 ohm. You couldn't just pop in a new HU and it work as most aftermarkets are 4ohms. Unless you specifically bought a HU which operates at 1ohm as well but those are few and far between.
Not true! You can drop an HU in there, run the speakers without any problems. To even go further, someone on the org actually did a Impedance test on the BOSE speakers and came up at 2 ohms.

I am currently running a JVC deck with the factory BOSE speakers without any problems.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM

I meant you cant just plug it in without having some wiring issues. You would have to insure the ohm load is the same sorry I guess that did come out wrong. If the Bose system is 2 ohms then they must have your 4ohm HU in series so its seeing a 2ohm load as well? BTw as I understand it the tweets for Bose are 2ohms and the sub is 1 ohm? Like I said i'm not sure. i've yet to actually install a Bose system or fix one
Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by locknuts27
Not true! You can drop an HU in there, run the speakers without any problems. To even go further, someone on the org actually did a Impedance test on the BOSE speakers and came up at 2 ohms.

I am currently running a JVC deck with the factory BOSE speakers without any problems.
I meant you cant just plug it in without having some wiring issues. You would have to insure the ohm load is the same sorry I guess that did come out wrong. If the Bose system is 2 ohms then they must have your 4ohm HU in series so its seeing a 2ohm load as well? BTw as I understand it the tweets for Bose are 2ohms and the sub is 1 ohm? Like I said i'm not sure. i've yet to actually install a Bose system or fix one
Both of you, please stop. Then, read the "BOSE Radio replacement thread" in its entirety.

I am tired of wrong information getting propagated around on these forums.

The Bose system runs at 2ohm. However, wiring in an aftermarket deck has NOTHING to do with impedance. Impedance is only a factor between the amp and the speakers.

You CAN install an aftermarket head unit onto the Bose speakers. But you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT just wire it up like any standard radio. You have to account for the fact that the speaker wire leads coming out of the Bose HU are pre-amp or 'line level' signals. The speaker wire leads coming out of an aftermarket deck are amped signals. If you wire it direct, you'd be sending an already amplified signal into the Bose amp, which in turn would amp that signal again. Bad idea.

Instead, you have to use one of two options.
1. A line output converter. It takes the high level signals and converts them to low level, then sends it to the Bose amp.
2. Metra 70-7551 wiring kit. It takes advantage of the fact that the aftermarket deck already has pre-amp outputs (in the form of RCA's) and simply changes the format of it into plain wire...to then get sent to the amp.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Ive heard of the metra wiring kit being used with these head units before
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM

I don't see how my information is wrong? Never did I say that I didn't use a wiring kit, all I suggested was that I am using a JVC deck with the Bose system.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM

I didn't say you were wrong. I don't work with Bose. Only experience I have with them is taking them out and replacing them lol. All of my guesses were just that. educated guesses
Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM

i saw a video the other day that showed a couple of guy soldering in a cable, replacing the tape deck...( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGKB0vUqvg )to use a 6 cd changer or other aux items.
has anyone done this mod? i would like to try this, for use with my sirius radio.
i have the siruis in anothe car that has an aftermarket radio in it. hooked up to the aux...the sirius is static free. in my maxima with the stock radio, i have moved the outside antenna many times and i still get static.
the stock bose really sounds great, esspecially after i added some after market speakers...so i see no need to get rid of it.

if anyone has done this mod, could do this mod...or has a radio that has the mod done and they would like to part with it..please let me know

just looking for some good info on it before i dive in!

I have a 2002 Maxima that I have done this mod on the original Bose 6CD stereo. I have my car set up where there is an Ipod connector or an auxilary 3.5" input. As the articles that were linked earlier in this thread show, If you select the tape function on the stereo and insert a blank tape (I have a cassette tape case that I have gutted) it will allow input from the auxilary input. The cassette tape will still play as normal if nothing is attached to the auxiliary inputs.

I have been quite pleased with this setup. I originally tried the wired auxiliary input through the radio, but was not satisfied with the results from that setup.

Here are a couple of photos from my installation. I put the aux input through one of the blank panels in the console. The other photo shows the ipod cable coming out from under the console and it stores just down by the seat, or over in the center console storage area.

Last edited by m21bmr; 12-16-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Simple solution here is to get am fm direct adapter for your sat radio to do a wired fm modulator instead of the wireless fm transmitter that is garbage. I am a mecp advanced cert installer and I have installed lots of sat radios. I actually refuse installations unless they have the fm direct adapter. Best buy sells them for 30 bucks. Its proven to be cd quality and static free allllllll the time on any station. You will need a forward and reverse antenna adapter depending on your year maxima.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM

I didn't say you were wrong. I don't work with Bose. Only experience I have with them is taking them out and replacing them lol. All of my guesses were just that. educated guesses
That post wasn't meant for you bro!