5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rough engine when cold out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Rough engine when cold out.

Hello to all.... Since its been cold, I have to warm my car up for 30 mins or so. If I dont warm the car up it runs kinda rough and I can kind of hear what I believe to be valve tap or something. I dont think that i have an exhaust leak, as the back side of the engine (firewall side) sounds kind of noisey until engine is really warmed up. Anyone else experience this? Could it be exhaust manifold, valve cover ect.... ??? It does feel like the car lacks some power until car really warms up. Car has 138,000 miles.. The colder it is out the worse it seems.... Any ideas???? Thanks BTW, if its 50 degrees or more out car doesnt seem to have a problem.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM

What kind of oil do you use? And you warm up your car for 30 min? lol
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

As cold as it's getting you should be using some 0w-30 .
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Ow-30..... Thanks!! I thought 5w-30 was good enough. So, its best to use a lighter weight oil during the colder months? Never had that issue with my Mazda..
Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 PM

30 min?!? engine is at operating temperature after about 3-5 min just sitting there.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
30 min?!? engine is at operating temperature after about 3-5 min just sitting there.
Seems rough unless I let it run for 30mins. Maybe I have a leak at the manifold because the noise seems to come from down low in the engine until warmed up. Hard to explain, dont have a camera handy...
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad ECT sensor?

Is your service light on? You could have a bad ECT sensor. If the ECT sensor is bad, the PCM will take readings from the O2 sensors, which won't give proper readings until warmed up. When the engine (and O2 sensors) is cold, the PCM will take readings from the ECT until the O2 sensors are warmed. If your engine light isn't on I would suggest using a lower-weight synthetic oil like a 0w-30.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Whens the last time you changed your spark plugs? i had rough idles in the cold, when i swapped out the damn near roasted spark plugs with new ones, the car is smoooth.!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Whens the last time you changed your spark plugs? i had rough idles in the cold, when i swapped out the damn near roasted spark plugs with new ones, the car is smoooth.!
Changed the plugs 2 weeks ago.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrarimangp
Is your service light on? You could have a bad ECT sensor. If the ECT sensor is bad, the PCM will take readings from the O2 sensors, which won't give proper readings until warmed up. When the engine (and O2 sensors) is cold, the PCM will take readings from the ECT until the O2 sensors are warmed. If your engine light isn't on I would suggest using a lower-weight synthetic oil like a 0w-30.
ECT Sensor??? I have to look into that. Is it easy to replace and were is it? I do have a service light on due to a po430 code. That'll be fixed later this month.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Twokidsandadad
Hello to all.... Since its been cold, I have to warm my car up for 30 mins or so. If I dont warm the car up it runs kinda rough and I can kind of hear what I believe to be valve tap or something. I dont think that i have an exhaust leak, as the back side of the engine (firewall side) sounds kind of noisey until engine is really warmed up. Anyone else experience this? Could it be exhaust manifold, valve cover ect.... ??? It does feel like the car lacks some power until car really warms up. Car has 138,000 miles.. The colder it is out the worse it seems.... Any ideas???? Thanks BTW, if its 50 degrees or more out car doesnt seem to have a problem.

I'd start with the basics if these have not been done yet. Replace Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Check for fouled plugs, clean Mas air meter. 30 minutes for a warm up is a long time. Your oil has nothing to do with it. IMO.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ekafrawy
I'd start with the basics if these have not been done yet. Replace Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Check for fouled plugs, clean Mas air meter. 30 minutes for a warm up is a long time. Your oil has nothing to do with it. IMO.
Thanks, i'll have to check into the MAF and fuel filter. Plugs were changed 2wks ago. Not today its warm out here in NJ and car is running smooth. It really seems like I have to let the car warm up to normal operating temp for the engine to feel really smooth.. I can still hear a slight valve tap or something as well until the car is warmed up. I dont beat on the car, rarely any jack rabbit starts ect. BTW its an auto...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM

DO NOT use a 0 weight oil your engine would hate that. Oil would have nothing to do with this guys. Once your car is warmed up? with a 0 weight oil your lubrication is going to go be to low for our engines. A 5w oil is plenty good enough unless you live in northern Canada and the oil isn't your problem to begin with anyways. 5w is the lowest rating nissan recommends. Your having a rough idle? Or it revs other than it should? With a rough idle especially in the winter it helps for your MAF(which is probably your problem) your IACV and your throttle body to be nice and clean. Get some MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner and go to town. If that doesnt fix it, replace your MAF.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
DO NOT use a 0 weight oil your engine would hate that. Oil would have nothing to do with this guys. Once your car is warmed up? with a 0 weight oil your lubrication is going to go be to low for our engines. A 5w oil is plenty good enough unless you live in northern Canada and the oil isn't your problem to begin with anyways. 5w is the lowest rating nissan recommends. Your having a rough idle? Or it revs other than it should? With a rough idle especially in the winter it helps for your MAF(which is probably your problem) your IACV and your throttle body to be nice and clean. Get some MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner and go to town. If that doesnt fix it, replace your MAF.
Thanks, i'll do that as well..... We'll see what happens.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

I dont know where you get your info about Nissan from but my 09 comes from the factory with 0-40 in it.and do you know on a cold day lighter oil is preferred due to our cars have a startup timing chain rattle.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I love lamp.

You mentioned you changed your plugs 2 weeks ago. You didn't change to a colder temperature plugs did you?

S
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
You mentioned you changed your plugs 2 weeks ago. You didn't change to a colder temperature plugs did you?

S
No, I dont think so. Still runs the same as before i changed the plugs. I put in bosch plugs.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
I dont know where you get your info about Nissan from but my 09 comes from the factory with 0-40 in it.and do you know on a cold day lighter oil is preferred due to our cars have a startup timing chain rattle.
"my 09 comes from the factory...." no it doesnt lol your car, which you should know this, comes with 5w-30 ester oil from the factory. and a timing chain rattle has nothing at all to do with oil weight either. Good lord quit posting misinformation on these forums, if you dont know the right answer then dont post anything at all

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 01-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Banned

"my 09 comes from the factory...." no it doesnt lol your car, which you should know this, comes with 5w-30 ester oil from the factory. and a timing chain rattle has nothing at all to do with oil weight either. Good lord quit posting misinformation on these forums, if you dont know the right answer then dont post anything at all
Ha learn something page 251 of my factory service manual A**Hole

Last edited by cjandura; 01-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.