5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CF Hood FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM

How hard is this to do and what custom bracket do you mean needed to be made?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
A bracket doesn't need to be made, he just did that because he thought the pins would look better in that location. I don't think they look better that way.

You can see zero's in his sig.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Nothing NEEDs to be made, I did it because I'm a perfectionist and didn't want it in the normal location lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Hahahaha gotcha man! dont matter to me, when the old hood is ready to come off, you'll see why i wanted a new hood so bad, its HIDEOUS!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
A bracket doesn't need to be made, he just did that because he thought the pins would look better in that location. I don't think they look better that way.

You can see zero's in his sig.
Meh that whole car was a fail. Progression comes with age experience and money lol
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Meh that whole car was a fail. Progression comes with age experience and money lol
im having a hard time learning, my first max was an utter fail. Cracked strut tower, misfiring, evap codes galore. first car live and learn, im glad this one came kinda heavily modded, but the maintenance im putting up with i guess was the trade off. Almost done just gotta stick with it. This summer hopefully, this BBK i got my eyes on, These D2's freshly rebuilt my neighbor might sell me, and powdercoat the Ser's and my life is complete, for now... ^_^
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Lol, I have a BBK I'm selling too, just bought it before I decided to sell the Maxima. Tein SS as well but those will likely be too expensive if you're looking at used D2s.

Yeah luckily the Maxima wasn't my first car. Was howeverthe first car I started modding. I knew nothing. This site saved my life. It's the reason I strived to do things properly, which is the only way to mod a car nicely if you're keeping it as a DD. My 4th gen was the subject of some pretty crude learning experiences though.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Sick man! techincally my second maxima so this one has been good so far minus the minor mishaps. This site is definitely awesome, lots of love( sometimes tough lol) and info just gotta look. The bbk im looking at the seller says its kinda up for grabs so if it falls thru pm me the info on it pricing and what not.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 AM

Ok, so update: one of my boys tried putting on his hood the other day and the fitment was a bit off. He has an aftermarket front end from an accident from a last year, could that be a factor? And also, will the hydraulic lifters have to be removed in order for the hood to be on? I have heard stories of hoods breaking.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Got Retrofit?

Ok, so update: one of my boys tried putting on his hood the other day and the fitment was a bit off. He has an aftermarket front end from an accident from a last year, could that be a factor? And also, will the hydraulic lifters have to be removed in order for the hood to be on? I have heard stories of hoods breaking.
That could be a factor.

And yup, no more hood struts. Sometimes they don't let the hood close either.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM

****, so how will i keep my hood open for repairs and such?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM

i miss my cf hood
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Got Retrofit?

****, so how will i keep my hood open for repairs and such?
Time to invest in a 4x4 piece of wood lol
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 AM

DSHIFsdj'agfdsagfhsadsp; -_____-...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

I have one of these in my tool box.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ku=00947316000
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by IslandMax
I have one of these in my tool box.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ku=00947316000
haha hey ken didnt know you were on here, guess i gotta invest in one. This blows i liked my lifters. Guess they are going up for sale since they will be no longer of use to me after today. They are the Oem nissan ones too! i will have pics up when i take it to the shop!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

haha hey ken didnt know you were on here, guess i gotta invest in one. This blows i liked my lifters. Guess they are going up for sale since they will be no longer of use to me after today. They are the Oem nissan ones too! i will have pics up when i take it to the shop!
if you goto the junk yard how about grabbing the hood prop and clips off a pathfinder?it just might be a good option for you.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM

I never had a problem with my hood struts...... Although I didn't have it on too long.

Why can't you just buy lower pressure/lb rated struts?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

nice pick up

Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM

I never had a problem with my hood struts...... Although I didn't have it on too long.

Why can't you just buy lower pressure/lb rated struts?
From what I'm hearing, if the hood struts are still on the hood doesn't sit as flush and it could break the hood, atleast that's what I hear.

Originally Posted by cjandura
if you goto the junk yard how about grabbing the hood prop and clips off a pathfinder?it just might be a good option for you.
I suppose let's try to het it on first then see.
Originally Posted by J2FRESH
nice pick up

Haha dont worry on going in an hour to get it put on. I will have pics up
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM

From what I'm hearing, if the hood struts are still on the hood doesn't sit as flush and it could break the hood, atleast that's what I hear.

Sounds like if your OEM struts are in decent shape (don't give out when it's cold), then you'll risk breaking a cheap framed hood due to excessive pressure from the struts.

If you have worn out Struts or ones rated for less weight, and they're installed correctly, you'll be fine.

i also think this has a lot to do with the cheaper CF hoods that have paperthin CF tops and composite/FG frames that aren't built very well. They require extra reinforcement at all latch, hinge, and lifting locations when compared to a steel hood. If they're not pre-designed for Hood struts, then you may need to reinforce. My old hood struts were weak so I was good. you can find worn hood struts VERY EASY, sooo common on these cars especially ast hey get older. probably get em for free post up a WTB ad.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Get a club so you can club your car
Then use that to hold the hood open? Or an umbrella

Trade your functional hood struts for broken ones and a pliers
Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM

Same as hood pins. Normally they look bad because most people mount them to the upper rad support, which puts any type of hood pin in an undesireable location (visually), Zero can post his they're where most people install them (any hood pin setup)

I fabbed up a custom bracket on mine to put them in a more appealing location (only got the one side done on my old 4th gen)

interesting Matt
You've come a long way
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
interesting Matt
You've come a long way
Yuuuup

In my defence, that car was really really dirty in that pic, she cleaned up nice. And it was a 5 speed. The one that got me into Maximas....
And I'm not posting a picture of the rear....

And now, I'm out for good, RWD, AWD, or bust.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Well heres the update, i did have a bit of fitment issues with the hood. It doesnt sit flush on the sides of the fenders. IT seems the hood is a bit curved in the middle causing it to sit high. My mechanic said if take it to a body shop, they can heat the hood and shape it better along the lines of the oem hood i have. In other words, its coming off tomorrow afternoon =/ lol. Its gonna sit in my basement til spring, then im gonna get it shaped, 2 coats of clear, locks installed and maybe hood struts. Greg i still have oem hood struts in very good condition. when i do finally get rid of my old hood i will see if you can get em. Andddd here are the pics:

Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM

^You sure you can't adjust the latch to correct that? Mine was the same thing, adjusting the main latch corrected it 80%, then when I installed the hood latches, it was perfect.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 PM

we tried, its like the front of the hood is curved weird. it sits fine in the back and in the very front, there was some difficulty closing it but the very middle and sides dont sit...
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Banned

what's the brand? I have the vis cf Hood and been driving it around with no Hood pins for about 6 months.. you just have to check the latch area every so often. for cracks... ect..
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Banned

Well heres the update, i did have a bit of fitment issues with the hood. It doesnt sit flush on the sides of the fenders. IT seems the hood is a bit curved in the middle causing it to sit high. My mechanic said if take it to a body shop, they can heat the hood and shape it better along the lines of the oem hood i have. In other words, its coming off tomorrow afternoon =/ lol. Its gonna sit in my basement til spring, then im gonna get it shaped, 2 coats of clear, locks installed and maybe hood struts. Greg i still have oem hood struts in very good condition. when i do finally get rid of my old hood i will see if you can get em. Andddd here are the pics:

pure sexy
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 AM

we tried, its like the front of the hood is curved weird. it sits fine in the back and in the very front, there was some difficulty closing it but the very middle and sides dont sit...
Looks great anyhow. That's too bad, maybe that's the underlying reason he REALLY sold them so cheap. Or maybe he just BS'd you about the quality of the hood.
Either way, for that price you still can't complain!

Originally Posted by Clashez
what's the brand? I have the vis cf Hood and been driving it around with no Hood pins for about 6 months.. you just have to check the latch area every so often. for cracks... ect..
Evidence that you need hood pins above
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Haha I was thinking about that though, maybe he did bs me. But either way for the price I paid, I will take it to a body shop and make this b#%@h fit! I would have been pissed if i paid 600-700 for this and it didn't fit. But yea I definitely do need those locks.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Haha I was thinking about that though, maybe he did bs me. But either way for the price I paid, I will take it to a body shop and make this b#%@h fit! I would have been pissed if i paid 600-700 for this and it didn't fit. But yea I definitely do need those locks.
DO NOT HEAT THE CARBON HOOD!!! Try removing the gas hood struts first and shutting the hood without the hood struts. The hood struts have compression and rebound rates for the factory heavier metal hoods.

Speaking from experience When I had a cf hood on my Maxima, it bowed in the middle in the same place from the gas hood struts pushing up on it so hard.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Strange. My hood right now sits below the fender. Quite the opposite of yours.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
DO NOT HEAT THE CARBON HOOD!!! Try removing the gas hood struts first and shutting the hood without the hood struts. The hood struts have compression and rebound rates for the factory heavier metal hoods.

Speaking from experience When I had a cf hood on my Maxima, it bowed in the middle in the same place from the gas hood struts pushing up on it so hard.

Good luck.
Gas struts are off and it still humps up by the fenders. Someone told me that you can adjust the hood latch and lower it in the front. so i will try that, my mechanic did say the body shop can heat it up a bit so the hood can bend around more. He said because the weather is freezing the hood is harder than usual so its kind of "frozen" in that position, idk man. idk =/
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Saw this today in person and it does rest very high up. I think the adjustments to be made at the hood latch should fix things up pretty well.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Someone told me that you can adjust the hood latch and lower it in the front. so i will try that,

Wonder who would say something like that.....

You sure you can't adjust the latch to correct that? Mine was the same thing, adjusting the main latch corrected it 80%, then when I installed the hood latches, it was perfect.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Dude did you check the hood bumpers? The little rubber pieces above the headlights?
Also other needed info.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM

LOL i forgot it was you. thanks for quoting me wise guy! hahahahaha. i went to my mechanic today, but he was closing up early. so im gonna go back tomorrow, since my old dented hood may have a buyer im gonna keep the Cf one on. and make it work. Hes gonna try the adjustments tomorrow, as greg stated i swung over by him and he saw it in person. im gonna pull this thread back up and show this to my mechanic. In the front where the headlights are, it sits fine. but near the fenders it sits kinda high so we'll see...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM

LOL i forgot it was you. thanks for quoting me wise guy! hahahahaha. i went to my mechanic today, but he was closing up early. so im gonna go back tomorrow, since my old dented hood may have a buyer im gonna keep the Cf one on. and make it work. Hes gonna try the adjustments tomorrow, as greg stated i swung over by him and he saw it in person. im gonna pull this thread back up and show this to my mechanic. In the front where the headlights are, it sits fine. but near the fenders it sits kinda high so we'll see...
best thing to do is just loosen all the bolts Greg posted from the FSM (just loosen), spin the hood stop rubbers in all the way, then see how she sits and if it fixes the problem, start your adjustments.

Also, if the aftermarket latch is a bolt on, you might want to consider swapping the aftermarket one for OEM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/62840-b...-p-193465.html

Should you need new bumpers like myself.

Quick Reply: CF Hood FTW!