5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ran into issue replacing strut, looking for comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Ran into issue replacing strut, looking for comments

I was working on replacing all 4 struts on my car, I installed Tein springs 100,000 miles ago without issue and something occured that made me question myself during my strut install.

I of course started with the one which was blown and ran into an issue I wondered if you have experience / had any comments on.

Passenger front, I removed the bottom two bolts and the 3 nuts from the studs of the mounting plate from under the hood. However, the strut expanded and wedged itself against my CV axle. I did not expect this and dont remember it ever being a problem on any car I've worked on.

I've got the strut tower out of the car now - but I am wondering why this happened before I continue on with the other side of the car. Is it simply because the strut was indeed damaged and not strong enough to hold itself together, so to speak, or what have I forgotten since the last time I did this!?

Thank you for any advice that can be provided.

Miss the .org, need to come here more often
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM

you forgot to compress the spring AFTER removing the spring/strut assembly from the car.

you most likely removed the middle nut from the strut at the strut tower.

If you didnt , then you have to remove the tie rod, and ball joint and pull the LCA down using a prybar while angling the camber setting bolt holes of the strut ( the ones closest to the axle ) towards you while working the assembly out careful not to tear your axle boot
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Hey, thank you for replying!

My problem of the strut expanding and forcing itself against the cv axle occured before I ever had a chance to compress the spring after removing it from the car.

At the end, thanks to a stripped nut on one of the studs on the mounting plate, I did end up removing the middle nut to remove the strut mount and bearing from the end of the strut, however, this was after the strut was already wedged against my cv axle...and when I did finally release that center bolt I did so with caution with the spring compressor on with it on the car to keep it from expanding dangerously, and there was no expansion. It was as if the spring and strut were fully extended already. Don't really know how to describe it. Guess I'll just have to pull the other side off and see how it does. Little scared to be honest, didn't know what the heck was happening, lol. I did struts on my 96, and put these springs on my 02 as well as a few other cars in between and I don't ever remember this being an issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 AM

I always attach the spring compressor before I take any bolts out to prevent that from happening.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Saddles
Hey, thank you for replying!

My problem of the strut expanding and forcing itself against the cv axle occured before I ever had a chance to compress the spring after removing it from the car.

At the end, thanks to a stripped nut on one of the studs on the mounting plate, I did end up removing the middle nut to remove the strut mount and bearing from the end of the strut, however, this was after the strut was already wedged against my cv axle...and when I did finally release that center bolt I did so with caution with the spring compressor on with it on the car to keep it from expanding dangerously, and there was no expansion. It was as if the spring and strut were fully extended already. Don't really know how to describe it. Guess I'll just have to pull the other side off and see how it does. Little scared to be honest, didn't know what the heck was happening, lol. I did struts on my 96, and put these springs on my 02 as well as a few other cars in between and I don't ever remember this being an issue.

try unbolting the ball joint and tie rod and taking a pry bar and prying down on the control arm, from what you are describing it sounds like the control arm may be getting in the way
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM

You'll get more suspension droop if you pop off the sway bar connection.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Dennis, what type of spring compressor have you used? Oreilly had one that goes on the outside of the coils which is what I have, and there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to attach the spring compressor while the strut is still on the car, they also had a style that fit inside the spring, I haven't seen this one be used but it may have the clearance needed to attach it while the tower is still on the car. I can look into that, thanks for the suggestion!

Amave, yes it seems that the control arm, cv axle, and tie rod all 3 are in the way... I am sure I can remove the tierod and get some extra clearance to be able to remove the strut tower, I just didn't ever remember doing that before so thats why I was wondering if anyone knew why this had happened now. I am curious to see how re-installation goes and how I will get the bottom of the shock into position if it expands as well, should be fun.

Steve, yes I may have to go that route if problem persists on the other 3 corners of the car.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will let you know how the drivers front goes this evening.

Have to wait till FRIDAY to get my strut stud plate from Napa so it looks like Maxine will be down and out a little longer...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM

i wish i would have taken pics the last time i removed my strut.

it really is easy just have to remove several things, but better to take a few extra steps than to fight and wrestle w/o results
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Similar thing happened to me and I couldn't get the strut back in. Turns out I forgot to raise the other side.

If post-count is indicative of knowledge, then you did not make that mistake.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Well I took the other side out tonight. It started to expand on me as well, I think, I went ahead and put the spring compressor on the tower before I dropped it all the way out, didn't really compress it, just held it in place, and it came right out without issue, tore it down, waiting on the new boots I ordered before I put it back together. I am not so sure it was going to drop on me but I wasn't going through that all again, this side seemed to behave more normally, as I would of expected the first side to. Mind you, my car was near undrivable, sad but true, there was something severly wrong on that first side.

Anyway, got the stud plate from Nissan for $22, cheaper than NAPA, I was impressed...

Just gotta wait for parts and Maxine will ride again! After tires...

Buying a house and up keeping my jeep and gf's truck has really got Maxine's budget cramped.

Well, I don't think post count means anything in my case! When I started, I did NOT have both wheels lifted, but did realize it before it got too far out of control

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure she'll go back together okay or I'll be back!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Saddles
Well, I don't think post count means anything in my case! When I started, I did NOT have both wheels lifted, but did realize it before it got too far out of control

OOPS!
You got it done and learned something, that's the important things.