5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help to install cell phone cradle(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Need Help to install cell phone cradle(Long)

So I took my Nokia phone system out of my 2000 SE. The phone cradle was mounted so that the radio/heater controls needed to be removed to get at it.

I am now installing the phone in a 2002 SE with the Bose radio.

My problem is getting at the 4 screws holding the radio/heater controls in place. On the 2000 I just pulled the center vents up and out of the dash. On the 2002 the vents go up but do not want to come out. What is holding them in place? I did not install the phone in the first place, so I don't know if they removed something that made them easier to pull out later.

Or is this something to do with the Bose setup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: Need Help to install cell phone cradle(Long)

Originally posted by dufrane
On the 2000 I just pulled the center vents up and out of the dash.
Do the same thing. Turn the slats all the way up, and stick your fingers in the little holes in the bottom left/right corners. Push up just a little bit until you see a small gap between the bottom of the air vents and the top of the radio. Then pull the entire unit towards you (towards the back seat). The first time it's a little tough, but it will come. It's held in there by 2 clips on the sides of the vents, and 2 little retaining clips on top.

Once you get it removed, remove the trim around your gear selector/stick shift (see the how-to section). Then remove the screw from the ashtray (see the how-to section). Remove 4 screws from around the radio, and wallah... radio & a/c are removed.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why not just get some 3m auto trim tape and stick it to the dash? If you use a big enough piece, it will stay put.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:04 AM

Re: Re: Need Help to install cell phone cradle(Long)

Originally posted by studman

Do the same thing. Turn the slats all the way up, and stick your fingers in the little holes in the bottom left/right corners. Push up just a little bit until you see a small gap between the bottom of the air vents and the top of the radio. Then pull the entire unit towards you (towards the back seat). The first time it's a little tough, but it will come. It's held in there by 2 clips on the sides of the vents, and 2 little retaining clips on top.

Good luck.

Thanks Studman, I will give it another try. I even fished a hook into the vent and hooked the back of the assembly when I was pulling but it did not want to come out. I was worried because I did not want to break anything.

(Jimmy H) the 3M tape is not a bad idea, but I have the mount so I figure I might as well use it.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:55 PM

no problem. hopefully once i get my hands on a service manual, i can fix a few other issues with the max as well.