5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clicking when clutch is NOT depressed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Clicking when clutch is NOT depressed

As the title states, i am getting a loud clicking/rattling when my car is sitting idle but when I press the clutch the sound goes away.

I am thinking a Throw out bearing but want your guys advice because I was debating replacing the clutch(I do not know the miles on it).
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM

9/10, TOB.

You're not going to do JUST the TOB, you'll do the Pilot bushing/bearing, TOB, and clutch/FW. Just too much of a pain to take it in and out. IF you're keeping the car, do it all in one shot.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Places are quoting 7 hrs labor at 600+ and the part cost- that'd be close to or over 1k ...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Seen it before...T/O bearing has seperated from its' retaining flange. Like others stated...time to do the whole clutch assembly while you're in there. Don't forget to surface the flywheel. Also take a look at the input shaft on the trans that the T/O bearing slides on. They become worn (grooved) making it so the T/O bearing doesn't slide smoothly when engaging the clutch and can creat clutch chatter. Go over it with a little emery cloth followed by 000 steel wool to help smooth it out. Hope this helps.

Last edited by gsjohnson; 02-11-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by gsjohnson
Seen it before...T/O bearing has seperated from its' retaining flange. Like others stated...time to do the whole clutch assembly while you're in there. Don't forget to surface the flywheel. Also take a look at the input shaft on the trans that the T/O bearing slides on. They become worn (grooved) making it so the T/O bearing doesn't slide smoothly when engaging the clutch and can creat clutch chatter. Go over it with a little emery cloth followed by 000 steel wool to help smooth it out. Hope this helps.
Good luck with getting the flywheel resurfaced. Not saying that it cant be done but most shops wont touch resurfacing a dual mass flywheel. If you have someone you trust &/or has good experience with dual mass flywheels, then it may be an option. But as everyone suggested, a complete clutch kit is in order.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Places are quoting 7 hrs labor at 600+ and the part cost- that'd be close to or over 1k ...
That's normal.
When you can't do it yourself the price of doing a clutch normally goes up by abour 40%

Originally Posted by gsjohnson
What this guy said. Though as stated above, you can't (aren't supposed to) resurface our Flywheels. It's a tough call. I'm in the same boat with my G, I don't know what to do with the flywheel, cause I don't want a lightweight one, so I'm going to try and reuse the old one. If it's too far gone when I take it apart I'll have to get one, and those are like a G by themselves.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MAXC
Good luck with getting the flywheel resurfaced. Not saying that it cant be done but most shops wont touch resurfacing a dual mass flywheel. If you have someone you trust &/or has good experience with dual mass flywheels, then it may be an option. But as everyone suggested, a complete clutch kit is in order.
You're right. Forgot about the 5.5 flywheel being different than the 00-01, but like you said, it can be done.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Yeah I'm not going to do it myself but I am looking at clutch kits for about 240-250, does that sound right? Shop prices are always like 50% higher

Edit- can anyone point me in a good direction to get a quality clutch kit at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-OEM-CL...item256b72d9ea
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Bad *** Newb

Yep, I had one of these with no issues.

Flywheel is the key, though. Replaceable friction plates FTW (fidanza).
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
...What this guy said. Though as stated above, you can't (aren't supposed to) resurface our Flywheels....
Urban myth. DMF's can be resurfaced.

Originally Posted by MAXC
This is relative. Every shop has different skill levels and machines. Expecting every shop to have the ability to resurface a DMF is like expecting every exhaust shop to do mandrel bending.

OP, call around and specifically ask the machine shops if they have the capability to do DM. There are quite a few in my area, but you have to search for them. Also, the FSM gives inspection criteria for the flywheel to confirm runout, radial movement, and deflection before you pay to have it resurfaced.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM

ordered
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Urban myth. DMF's can be resurfaced.

CAN be, supposed to? Nope.

The design of a DM flywheel negates the ability to resurface it. Though it's possible, and can be done without issue in many cases, it's not SUPPOSED to be done. The Friction plate is specifically weighted to the rest of the DM components, including liquid, springs, etc, etc, it's pretty intriquite. Once the weight changes, everything changes.

All that said, if my FW is toast when I pull mine apart, I'm going to try and have it resurfaced. The only reason why is it's MY labour time if I have to pull it back out cause there is an issue.

If someone's paying a shop to do the install, it's not worth the risk IMO, the price you would pay if you have to remove it again and throw away the just resurfaced flywheel and buy a new one anyways would be more than buying a brand new OEM FW.

All just food forthought. Nelledge is right htough, it CAN be done. You just have to understand that it's not advisable, and most shops won't warranty the work for this reason, so if you get it back and it's no good, you threw your money away.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

CAN be, supposed to? Nope...
I'm still going to have to politely disagree with you. The myth has gained a lot of ground over the years especially in automotive forums, but it's still just a myth. It was propagated by the fact that many garages(dealerships included) did not initially have access to the adapters and skillset to correctly resurface the flywheel. Times have changed and there is an abundance of shops up to the task. The relatively miniscule amount of material that is removed during resurfacing is neglible to any part of the function except for balance. A correct machining will return differences comparable to tolerance values in the original manufacturing of the component.

Many garages limit their liability by instituting their own rigid guidelines in order to protect themselves from risk. For instance, the shop that performs my vehicle inspections will perform about any task required on the Nissan. However, they have specifically made it known that they won't touch our Audi except for the most basic of services. ie tire and oil changes They won't even do a coolant flush on it. By no means does this mean that the Audi should not have regular maintenance performed on it. It only means this shop won't because of fearful ignorance.

Back to the original topic at hand: Nissan has a service alert from a few years back specifically stating that replacement of the DMF is not required and it may be resurfaced. DaveB can confirm this.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I'm still going to have to politely disagree with you. The myth has gained a lot of ground over the years especially in automotive forums, but it's still just a myth. It was propagated by the fact that many garages(dealerships included) did not initially have access to the adapters and skillset to correctly resurface the flywheel. Times have changed and there is an abundance of shops up to the task. The relatively miniscule amount of material that is removed during resurfacing is neglible to any part of the function except for balance. A correct machining will return differences comparable to tolerance values in the original manufacturing of the component.

Many garages limit their liability by instituting their own rigid guidelines in order to protect themselves from risk. For instance, the shop that performs my vehicle inspections will perform about any task required on the Nissan. However, they have specifically made it known that they won't touch our Audi except for the most basic of services. ie tire and oil changes They won't even do a coolant flush on it. By no means does this mean that the Audi should not have regular maintenance performed on it. It only means this shop won't because of fearful ignorance.

Back to the original topic at hand: Nissan has a service alert from a few years back specifically stating that replacement of the DMF is not required and it may be resurfaced. DaveB can confirm this.

REALLY?!?! This is wicked news for me. everything I've read from any Nissan, or other OEM that has DM flywheels very purposefully states that youcan't resurface. I'm pumped aboutthis now. Though I'm pretty sure that finding someone in canada to do it may be very, very tough.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

REALLY?!?! This is wicked news for me. everything I've read from any Nissan, or other OEM that has DM flywheels very purposefully states that youcan't resurface. I'm pumped aboutthis now. Though I'm pretty sure that finding someone in canada to do it may be very, very tough.
Yeah, I had a few shops to choose from down here. After talking directly to the owner about its capabilities, I paid them to resurface it. It was not a decision I took lightly. I do want to emphasize again the inspection procedures in the FSM for the DMF. It is really important to evaluate the flywheel before paying for it to be resurfaced. Otherwise, you may be throwing away money. Some people and shops are plug-and-play only when it comes to auto repair. I recommend they purchase a new flywheel to be sure no corners are cut.