5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE passenger axel replacement trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 PM

AE passenger axel replacement trouble!!!

Hey all. I'm in the process of replacing the passenger axle on my 2001 AE. I know the axle is attached to that bearing with 3 12mm bolts on it. My issue is that I was able to get the bottom two bolts out but no way on the top on. I removed a big piece of heat shield off the factory y-pipe. And still and can't get to it. I've searched and can't come up with anything besides "have to take off the 3 bolts on tr bearing". Is there any certain way to take off the top one?? I could remove the factory y-pipe and get to it. But never heard of anyone doing so to change the axle. Help please!!
Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by mastere954
Hey all. I'm in the process of replacing the passenger axle on my 2001 AE. I know the axle is attached to that bearing with 3 12mm bolts on it. My issue is that I was able to get the bottom two bolts out but no way on the top on. I removed a big piece of heat shield off the factory y-pipe. And still and can't get to it. I've searched and can't come up with anything besides "have to take off the 3 bolts on tr bearing". Is there any certain way to take off the top one?? I could remove the factory y-pipe and get to it. But never heard of anyone doing so to change the axle. Help please!!
Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure it is the same process as the 4th gen. If so, all three bolts can be removed with basic tools, if you don't have the arm of a gorilla. I've used a gear wrench and might have used a 1/4 ratchet with an extension on one of the bolts. It's been a while. If you do have a huge arm or one of the bolts is seized/stripped, you can remove the bracket from the block so it drops with the axle. Those bolts aren't too bad to get to either.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

The top one is tricky if you've never done it before. Use a ratcheting wrench. Don't go from underneath, go from the side of the car. (face the hub) Reach in and feel for the bolt, get the ratchet wrench on there and pull up. If you don't have enough leverage, use the trick where you attach another wrench to the end to gain some more leverage.

Worse comes to worse, just take off the entire thing. It's just 2 bolts (14mm if i remember correctly) attached to the block.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
The top one is tricky if you've never done it before. Use a ratcheting wrench. Don't go from underneath, go from the side of the car. (face the hub) Reach in and feel for the bolt, get the ratchet wrench on there and pull up. If you don't have enough leverage, use the trick where you attach another wrench to the end to gain some more leverage.

Worse comes to worse, just take off the entire thing. It's just 2 bolts (14mm if i remember correctly) attached to the block.
All of this.

Of course Essential can step in he knows this procedure back to front

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Yea I felt the bolt by going in from the side. My problem was no leverage because of the o2 sensor. I know that had I a aftermarket y-pipe It would be soooooo much easier. I'll give it a shot again and check back. Thank!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
All of this.

Don't remind me. lol
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Its not to difficult if ya do it from the side, i done it 3 times on mine already, getting ready for 2 more axles again...........
Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Reason for changing is the outer boot has two very small rips. Like pencil tip small. Anyone ever considered using some of that new q-bond stuff on the boot if it's such small rips??
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 PM

The boots move constantly in and out and up and down and around. No sealant is going to work.

When I did my 4th gen way back in the day, I just pulled the whole bracket down and then swapped the hanger bracket over on the bench (driveway, whatevs), that's what you're trying to do?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

All of this.

agreed...that maxima nerd helped me turn my hr ordeal into a 2 minute completed job
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
agreed...that maxima nerd helped me turn my hr ordeal into a 2 minute completed job
Speaking of which... Did you text me the other day? I loaded up a new ROM onto my phone and lost half of my numbers. I think it was you...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM

The boots move constantly in and out and up and down and around. No sealant is going to work.

When I did my 4th gen way back in the day, I just pulled the whole bracket down and then swapped the hanger bracket over on the bench (driveway, whatevs), that's what you're trying to do?
Ive seen guys use that q-bond on rubber gaskets and o-rings that are constantly tampered with. And it holds pretty dam good I understand te movement of the boot but logically at least to me, the only issue would be the stretching when turning the wheel. The replacement axle I have is a gsg I got for dirt cheap. I don't like gsg so I rather keep the factory. I'm going to try out that q-bond being the rips are so small. The minute I see grease on the wheel. Ill change it. I'll update with how the q-bond works for whoever might be in the same predicament.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Speaking of which... Did you text me the other day? I loaded up a new ROM onto my phone and lost half of my numbers. I think it was you...
you dirty sumbish lol yea...shot you a pic of the teg