5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Steering Noise/Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Steering Noise/Issue

Recently I have developed a noise when turning the wheel to the left on a cold start. Not sure if it is to the right, but I really only make left turns on cold starts (Out of my driveway and out of work).

For the first second, the wheel is very stiff and does not want to let me turn it much, then when it releases it makes a decently loud whining noise throughout the turn and goes away once the wheel is straight again.

Only does it on the first turn of the wheel and usually within the first 10 seconds of turning the car on.

I have searched and found problems almost like mine, and it seems the cause is the steering rack most of the time. None of the issues I am reading are exactly like mine with only the noise only happening on cold start though. Do you guys think it is the steering rack? PS fluid is normal.

Whatever the issue is, is it a big deal and could it cause damage to anything?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Anyone have any idea? All opinions are helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a blockage in the rack or its lines, although if that were true it would probably occur all the time and not just when cold. Just a thought.

Next cold morning, try turning the wheel to the right first and see if it does the same thing. Also, you say the fluid is normal - how so? Did you only check the level, or does the fluid appear to be in ok condition? Perhaps try flushing some of that fluid out, it's worth a try. You said the steering makes a loud whining through the turn that goes away when the wheel is straight - as in, when you're not loading the steering system by turning, the noise isn't there. That definitely sounds like a pump issue, not a rack issue. Check for proper tension on the power steering belt as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM

I will try going to the right when I leave work. Thats when I make the most immediate turn pulling out of a parking space and usually hear it the most.

I found one thread finally that said something about a cold start. Later in the thread they said after changing the fluid with a turkey baster the noises went away. I am going to try this over the weekend and see what happens and post the results.

Thank you for the response.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Yeah I would start with just changing out that fluid first. Pumps can disintegrate with age or constant exposure to degrading fluid. Otherwise, they really only whine or start to get tight when the fluid level is just low.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM

I have not had a chance to change the fluid yet. The noise is getting louder and lasts longer.

Now that it is louder, it almost sounds like a belt to me. You can't hear it that well in the video because the exhaust but if you really listen to it you will hear it. This is about 5-10 seconds after starting the car, and it only did it while pulling out of the parking spot, not even when I pulled out of the lot.

Like I said before, the wheel is tougher to turn while this noise is happening. I also checked the fluid, and it is a clearish blue color and does not smell burnt. In the year that I have had the car, I have never had a problem with the PS or flushed/refilled or anything.

Any more feedback now that there is more info at hand?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by guarj17; 03-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Do I smell funny or something? Someone has to have heard something like this before! Lol